PDA

View Full Version : 7 Foot Laser Cut Ferris Wheel

Daniel Wolanski
03-20-2012, 1:06 PM
After receiving my Chinese 100W laser in November I decided to sign up for this forum (note to ones self, should have done it before). When I got the machine it was a challenge to learn the software, focal length, stepper motors, % power, etc but with the help of this forum and a visit from Rich Harmen, I learned quite fast. My intent is to use the machine to cut parts for my business but I figured the best way to learn the ins and outs of the machine was to do something fun. So I dabbled with a few toys I found here on the Creek and the net and finally decided to "Go Big or go home!".

So I created a few small Ferris wheels (22" diameter) to work the bugs out and then had to be creative on how to puzzle piece it together so it would "just fit" in my basement. It took about 2 months to design on CAD and then build. It is motorized, has over 500+ music sensitive LED's, 12 Gondolas, and fits nicely in my basement. My daughter (age 13) is the shutter bug so she took a lot of video and pics during the construction process. I really have no intention of mass producing these things nor do I see any real market for this, I just wanted something fun to do while I learn.

Here is the pic gallery http://go-2.it/JdK

227616 227618227619 227622 227624 227719

Frank Corker
03-20-2012, 3:40 PM
Daniel, that is tremendous. Really nice work all around, I like the lights, the finish, a credit to yourself and your laser.

Greg Bednar
03-20-2012, 3:47 PM
Whoaa!! Sweet! Very Sweet!

Rich Harman
03-21-2012, 12:58 AM
Wow! When you said you wanted to make a motorized ferris wheel I was expecting something a little smaller. But hey, what's the point of having a big laser if you don't make big things, right?

Kevin Berkshire
03-21-2012, 3:24 PM
awsome job!! Does your wife think your crazy.. Great Work

Daniel Wolanski
03-21-2012, 4:11 PM
My wife doesn't think I'm crazy... she KNOWS I'm crazy. At least it keeps me occupied from bugging her!:rolleyes:

Ernie Balch
03-21-2012, 6:01 PM
cool. That is so inventive it should be in a "Maker Faire"

Daniel Wolanski
03-21-2012, 7:23 PM
I had to Google "Maker Faire" to see what it was. I had never heard of it? Very Interesting!!!:rolleyes: Hmmmm

Doug Novic
03-23-2012, 7:58 PM
Daniel,

Great work! Love creativity and you got it.

Barry Clark
03-24-2012, 2:58 PM
Very Nice!!!

Granted there may not be a huge market for this I'm pretty sure places that specialize in unique items would be more than happy to market these.

Daniel Wolanski
03-26-2012, 11:00 AM
Very Nice!!!

Granted there may not be a huge market for this I'm pretty sure places that specialize in unique items would be more than happy to market these.

I'm sure there is, but finding the right person / company is the the hard thing! I created a fresh Youtube video and website but it doesn't see much action. I heard about Pokono (http://www.ponoko.com/) and did a search here regarding them, but honestly their site is kinda confusing. I looks like they can sell the plans (which is ok with me) but are really in the market to make the end item and ship it which I am not interested in. Also, when you go to there site, there are about 10 items on the first page and the rest is buried in 56 pages. I doubt they see much action on pages 3-56!

Barry Clark
03-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Boy I guess! Way too much clutter there.
I showed the Ferris wheel to a friend who owns a unique boutique and she's crazy about it.