PDA

View Full Version : X6???

Steve Clarkson
03-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I didn't realize that Corel was releasing a new version (X6)..........has anyone tried it yet?

Martin Boekers
03-20-2012, 11:21 AM
What? They didn't contact us to try it out before releasing it? \*L*/

Dan Hintz
03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Wait, really? I never received any notice to help beta test... what's going on?

Gary Hair
03-20-2012, 12:49 PM
I haven't tried it yet but the new features look pretty good at first glance. I'll get it just to stay current with my customers, even if it really doesn't have anything I need.

Gary

Michael Kowalczyk
03-20-2012, 1:35 PM
It's on the way as I type. :)
SPEED is one that they proclaim as a reason (64 bit multi thread)
I like some of the new tools and font editing capabilities. I am sure there are many more but for all you people that wait decades before you upgrade, please read this:
"IMPORTANT: All previous versions of CorelDRAW can upgrade to CorelDRAW X6 until June 18th 2012. After this period only CorelDRAW X4 and CorelDRAW X5 will be eligible for upgrades."

So if you have X3 or below and don't upgrade by june 18th 2012, it will cost you a FULL VERSION purchase to bring you up to date.

Looks like I may have to upgrade my PC that is dedicated to the laser sooner than I thought. Still just a Pentium 4 and xp pro

I bought mine, X6, through Unleashed and will get a little bonus DVD from them. They always have helpful stuff. Here's a link
http://www.unleash.com/coreldraw-x6-unleashed/coreldraw-x6-special-offer.asp

hope this helps and ...

Joe De Medeiros
03-20-2012, 1:40 PM
Enhanced Speed! Native 64-bit and multi-core support Enjoy the speed of multi-core processing power and native 64-bit support. The enhanced speed allows you to quickly process larger files and images. Plus, your system will be more responsive when running several applications simultaneously.

That alone is worth the upgrade for me.

Steve Clarkson
03-20-2012, 2:13 PM
Wait, really? I never received any notice to help beta test... what's going on?

Dan, apparently they didn't think that we added much help last time.......because I didn't get invited back either.....

Ruben Salcedo
03-20-2012, 2:25 PM
Steve,

they just post an invitation in the old X5 beta forum, I also didn't received an invitation via email, I did saw the invitation at the forum but I decide not to participate this time.

Ruben

Dan Hintz
03-20-2012, 7:32 PM
Funny enough, I had been deleting the Corel emails... I get something from them at least once a week with the same ad set over and over again, so I just kept ignoring it. I finally stopped and looked at it this time... it was like the last two, for X6.

Go figure...

Jeff Belany
03-21-2012, 10:17 AM
Been getting emails from Graphics Unleashed about X6. They are offering some special if you order through them. They also have some preview videos available. Corel is offering a free trial also.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2012, 1:24 PM
I have a few questions, I am still running corel 11. If I upgrade will I have any problems with my files created in 11 not opening properly in the new version? Is it possible to run two versions of it on my computer? Meaning keep 11 and also have the new version on the same computer. That way if there are any issues with the conversion I can always go back to 11 until I solve the problems. And also are the new versions really that much better than what I have? I mean, so far I have never found something that I was unable to do in 11 after looking online for a tutorial, and I question why I would need to upgrade.

Ruben Salcedo
03-21-2012, 1:33 PM
Joe,

you should be able to run both versions in the same computer, the features from 11 to X6 are greatly improved and added, for you to take advantage of them that will depend in what you do and how you do it, but just one huge advantage I see even if you don't need all the new features, is file compatibility with other software formats, like from Adobe, CAD, etc.

Ruben

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2012, 2:09 PM
Joe,

you should be able to run both versions in the same computer, the features from 11 to X6 are greatly improved and added, for you to take advantage of them that will depend in what you do and how you do it, but just one huge advantage I see even if you don't need all the new features, is file compatibility with other software formats, like from Adobe, CAD, etc.

Ruben

I kind of figured that would be one of the main advantages but since I have never had anyone bring in a file to me (they usually bring in a sketch or just give me a rough idea of what they want)I don't see it really helping me.

Ruben Salcedo
03-21-2012, 2:13 PM
I kind of figured that would be one of the main advantages but since I have never had anyone bring in a file to me (they usually bring in a sketch or just give me a rough idea of what they want)I don't see it really helping me.

Then I guess you've answer your own question. :)

Joe Hillmann
03-21-2012, 3:39 PM
From that point of view it isn't worth it but I am wondering if the other new features are so much better.

Ruben Salcedo
03-21-2012, 4:40 PM
Like I said, probably you are the only one who will be able to answer that since we don't know what features you use in your work flow, here (http://www.corel.com/static/product_content/cdgs/x6/CDGSX6_Version_Matrix.pdf) is a pdf from Corel with a feature comparison from X6 back to 12.

Ruben

Tim Bateson
03-22-2012, 9:19 PM
Been running the Trial version for the past couple days. Not yet impressed. Faster than X5... maybe, but not significantly. Does the Epilog print driver still Crash Corel X6, as it did X5... yes (paying attention Epilog?). I'll continue testing.

John Noell
03-23-2012, 9:21 PM
...Does the Epilog print driver still Crash Corel X6, as it did X5... yes (paying attention Epilog?).
Hi Tim, are you talking about the 64 bit driver?

Tim Bateson
03-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Yes, the 64bit driver. Great driver and big improvement over the previous one, except for this one quirk. Randomly when I try to open the driver and hit the Preferences button it locks up and only cycling my computer will make it work again. I consider this a minor issue as it only happens maybe 1 out of 15 or 20 times I enter Preferences. Nothing like the issues you have dealt with.

Steve Clarkson
03-24-2012, 12:15 PM
Tim,

The exact same thing happens to me.......and I get an error message (can't remember what it says......but "hpq...." something) when I reboot. I didn't realize it was X5 causing it, for some reason I thought it was my HP injet printer screwing things up.

Tim Bateson
03-24-2012, 12:25 PM
The exact same thing happens to me.......and I get an error message (can't remember what it says......but "hpq...." something) when I reboot. I didn't realize it was X5 causing it, for some reason I thought it was my HP injet printer screwing things up.

Steve, As it's still happening with X6, I think I have to blame the Epilog driver. Not sure how to prove it.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-13-2012, 11:13 AM
Don't feel shunned...we don't contact individuals directly. If I didn't post a notice in this forum ~a year ago I apologize as I usually give you guys notice when the beta application goes live.

Tony.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Depends on the operating system, but if you're using Vista or Win7, click on the details tab and see which module the crash appeared in.

Tony

Mary Geitz
04-13-2012, 1:30 PM
I just ordered X5 a couple of months ago. There was no mention of X6. I'm feeling very duped by Corel, especially when there were specials on X5.

Scott Shepherd
04-13-2012, 1:43 PM
I just ordered X5 a couple of months ago. There was no mention of X6. I'm feeling very duped by Corel, especially when there were specials on X5.

I just got it in December and I can't say I was thrilled to see X6 come out so soon after that either. Their loss, we won't be upgrading for a while now. I guess I'll wait until X7 comes out. When you have to buy multiple seats and things like this happen, it can end up costing a lot of money. They don't care.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-16-2012, 12:16 PM
There is a "technology protection" in place but I"m uncertain how far back it covers...I'm looking for this information now and will post an update in a bit.
T.

Aleta Allen
04-17-2012, 4:23 PM
I know I bought x5 only a week before x6 came out! So, I called and I was able to buy x6 for a low upgrade price, only bad thing I had bought the book with x5 and I didn't get the book with the upgraded Technology x6! I wish I had known and I would have waited the week! Would have saved me . I don't need x5 and x6 and no x6 book! But that is timing!

Tim Bateson
04-17-2012, 5:23 PM
I've decided not to upgrade. Not enough change from the 32bit X5 version. X6 is faster on my 64bit Win7, but only by seconds or fractions of seconds. Not enough new features either to justify the cost. For those that do and use Epilog - be sure to check out the 8.08 driver. Works perfect. A whole week of beating it up with NO issues at all. That alone made me consider X6, but at the end of the day, I have to pay my bills... and buy more Christmas lights! :D My money pit of a hobby - last year 30,000 lights driven my 7 computerized controllers, all broadcast on a my own FM radio station. This year my creation grows....:eek:

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-18-2012, 4:53 PM
I've decided not to upgrade. Not enough change from the 32bit X5 version. X6 is faster on my 64bit Win7, but only by seconds or fractions of seconds. Not enough new features either to justify the cost.

Tim: I have to admit, I'm surprised. I would of thought that a laser engraver would of loved the object origin control in the proeprty bar as it makes it 100x easier to align objects in a layout.....the fact that 90% of the most used settings have been consoldated into place (new object properties docker) is a time saver that's worth it's weight in gold....given envravers work so much with text I would of thought that the OpenType would of been icing on the cake.

I'm going to ask a question which will likely come accross harsh, but please understand it's not indended to be. As user experience designer I have to ask...did you find these things but didn't find value in them, or did they not catch your attention.

T.

Tim Bateson
04-18-2012, 5:10 PM
...I'm going to ask a question which will likely come across harsh, but please understand it's not indended to be. As user experience designer I have to ask...did you find these things but didn't find value in them, or did they not catch your attention.
T.

Honestly, I did not see these features. In the short time (couple weeks) I've had to work with it, I mainly worked standard jobs that I've done dozens of times. I didn't have a lot of new work during that period of time where I would have found/needed these features. I do have 2 days left, so I'll check it out. Well - 1 day, the other will be spent insuring all of my files are converted back to X5...maybe :rolleyes:....

Mark Sipes
04-18-2012, 5:11 PM
I'm very pleased with Corel 9. Does everything I have needed except........being able to view all the posts on this site. Is there just a viewer out there.?

Neil Pabia
04-18-2012, 5:39 PM
Any chance they are going to upgrade the academic version as well? I have it on all the computers at school and would like to try the X6 version.

Rich Harman
04-18-2012, 8:32 PM
... I would of thought that a laser engraver would of loved the object origin control in the proeprty bar as it makes it 100x easier to align objects in a layout...

I have X6, an object selected, object properties docker open - but I do not see anything about object origin control.

Sam Gardner
04-19-2012, 2:26 AM
I have to admit this upgrade has more going for it than against. The text handling in now how it should have always been (no spacing in front so text does not have to be converted to curves then centered) which will make print merge for name badges much better. Text properties docker much better. Only thing i haven't found a workaround is that hairline text will not vector cut until converted to curves. Then again it might be the gcc driver. Again great improvement corel

Mary Geitz
04-20-2012, 6:43 PM
There is a "technology protection" in place but I"m uncertain how far back it covers...I'm looking for this information now and will post an update in a bit.
T.

What really irks me is that they were promoting the heck out of X5 knowing full well X6 was coming. I also bought mine in December. Not nice!

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-23-2012, 2:25 PM
I have X6, an object selected, object properties docker open - but I do not see anything about object origin control.

As position and size are not in that docker, this control is not there either. If you look on the property bar you will find it as the first control on it when an object is selected.
T.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-23-2012, 2:28 PM
Any chance they are going to upgrade the academic version as well?
Yes, there is an academic version available for non commercial use.

T.

Paul Dietz
04-26-2012, 5:34 PM
I know I bought x5 only a week before x6 came out! So, I called and I was able to buy x6 for a low upgrade price, only bad thing I had bought the book with x5 and I didn't get the book with the upgraded Technology x6! I wish I had known and I would have waited the week! Would have saved me . I don't need x5 and x6 and no x6 book! But that is timing!

I was in the same boat. Finally called them today and ordered the "technology upgrade" for $24.99 + $9.00 shipping. It sure beats the $200 upgrade offers they have been sending me via email. The moral of the story is that it pays to ask...

Tim Bateson
05-10-2012, 2:39 PM
It seems like every other week X6 is on sale – for the full version. Now you can buy a new copy for only the Upgrade price. However those of us that paid good money a year ago never get an offer to upgrade at a less than the Upgrade price. Hey Corel, how about an Upgrade sale of $99! Even a 24 hour sale would do.

How do you qualify for a "technology upgrade"?

Bruce Volden
05-10-2012, 6:02 PM
Just what is X6? I started out using 4 then upgraded to 5 then to 8, 10, and still using Corel Draw 11. I haven't been able to figure out what I can't do! Sorry folks, I'm old school and will stay with what I have till I'm forced to throw out the money, but then again I'm a one horse show.

I've always tried to stay abreast with technology. I figured out years ago I could always spend and spend and have "the latest greatest" but my train of thought now is------much like my cars---run it into the ground.

I will admit though, I certainly miss out not being able to view most of the files posted.

Bruce

Michael Hunter
05-10-2012, 6:41 PM
Two reasons for X6

1 Importing customer's pdf and ai files. With X3 I was finding that I could not open them ("file corrupted") more and more often.

2 Tracing - Suddenly tracing is really very good indeed (compared with X3 - don't know about X4 or 5). Huge time saving compared to the hand tracing that I had been forced to do before.

Rich Harman
05-10-2012, 7:05 PM
One reason (small) against X6 - can't install LaserWork plugin... at least I can't get it to work.

Steve Clarkson
05-10-2012, 7:21 PM
Michael,

I don't think they improved the auto trace in X6.......but it was included in X5......and I agree it's ALOT better than in X4 and earlier versions. The other thing I LOVE is the B-Spline tool........which also came out in X5. It makes hand tracing 1,000 times easier.