PDA

View Full Version : Gloat Developing...

Darren Ford
03-25-2005, 7:05 AM
Totally unrelated to woodworking, hence the offtopic forum.

Can anyone guess what it is?

I am sitting in a hotel in Griffin, GA. It is 6:52am EST and I will be leaving in about 30 minutes to travel 7 miles to the location of the gloat.

It will start at 8am EST and be finished sometime early - mid afternoon.

After this is over, I will have, in addition to a grin that is guaranteed to last for days, a new appreciation for a profession that I already know is extremely difficult.

I am going to receive instruction in something that alot of people think is easy, but in reality is so difficult to do well that only a few do it for a living.

I will post pictures when I get home. I plan to go home this evening, but there is talk amongst family members of taking the long way home and seeing some sights and staying over another night.

Jeff Sudmeier
03-25-2005, 8:47 AM
Well you have me stumped! Let us know what it was :)

Hal Peeler
03-25-2005, 9:38 AM
I would guess that you're headed north to Atlanta Motor Speedway for one of the driving schools. I work in Griffin at a research facility and actually have field plots on the grounds of AMS. Wild guess but I can't think of any other reason anybody might be so excited to be in a motel here. If I'm right, have fun!
Hal

Jerry Clark
03-25-2005, 10:06 AM
Yep, That was my guess-- Have fun- say "Hi" to Jeff Gordon and Jimmy Johnson! Ha ha ;)

Darren Ford
03-26-2005, 9:02 AM
No fooling you guys. I was at Buck Baker's racing school. This was the most intimidating thing I have ever done.

If anyone is interested in the full pictorial, including how I almost blew up Buddy Baker's personal race car by forgetting to watch the temp gauge, you can see it here (http://kd4pbs.homelinux.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=510)

http://www.emailmom.com/misc/bb/photo1.jpg

http://www.emailmom.com/misc/bb/smc1.jpg

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2005, 9:19 AM
Darren what a rush that must have been. I've got one recognizeable character flaw. There a lot of things I'd like "to do just once"! I bought and paid for a new car with cash..$100 bills....Had the dealer/owner make a sign "paid in cash..in full" and sign it. I then drove it to a competitor's lot and blocked one of the two exits while wife and I went shopping for a couple of hours. The competitor wouldn't budge on price and didn't think an E-4 sailor had that kind of money anyway........He handled my rebuttal very well, however. I'd like to take the course you just completed. I'd like to experience a carrier DAYLIGHT takeoff and landing......there are a few others...Congrats!

Martin Shupe
03-26-2005, 11:40 AM
I'd like to experience a carrier DAYLIGHT takeoff and landing......there are a few others...Congrats!

What's the matter Ken? You don't like to fly at night? :D

The night traps never really bothered me, and I usually got better grades, perhaps due to my heightened concentration level. Now the night cat shots were something else. They scared me ever time, especially after I lost my primary gryos on one. :eek:

Good story about the car purchase.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Darren...don't mean to steal your thread...

Martin......No fear of night flying. :confused: When smacking something or diving into the water....I want to see what's coming in time to say ..."OH ________" You can fill in the blank. :rolleyes: ;) :D

Darren Ford
03-26-2005, 1:59 PM
Not at all Ken, I would have gladly traded the school for a day or night trap :)

Tell us more Martin... We want detail. the plane, the carrier, scariest moment, funniest event, everything!

And remember. No pics, didn't happen :)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-26-2005, 11:28 PM
Darren......here's the closest I got to a carrier landing. In November of 2000 I rode with my youngest son, a young LTJG ships company officer aboard the USS Carl Vinson from San Francisco to Bremerton Washinton. You'll notice that my "trap" was pretty sedate! Okay Martin....former Navy Flyboy....pony up now!

Jeff Sudmeier
03-28-2005, 8:20 AM
Darren, I am VERY jealous! That is also one of the things that I would like to do just once!