PDA

View Full Version : Pergola without fasteners

Igor Petrenko
03-19-2012, 4:24 PM
Planning outdoor project and looking for pictures/plans of pergola/privacy screen/trellis structures build without those ugly big galvanized bolts. I was thinking as much as possible to replace those with pegged mortises, dovetail joints, dadoes and so on. And maybe using some plugged stainless screws.

David Posey
03-19-2012, 5:21 PM
While I don't have any plans to share, this is something I've been thinking about the past few weeks myself. I don't think it would be too difficult to modify plans to work without fasteners. You would probably want to take cues from the timber framing world for the construction of your base, and perhaps use sliding dovetails to hold the vertical pieces in place.

I think an important consideration would be what type of wood you were planning on using. Some of the techniques you mention are going to present problems if you're thinking of using pressure treated wood, which is usually soaking wet when you get it from the store. My plan was to use cypress, which is plentiful in west TN, but that may not be available in your area.

Paul Saffold
03-19-2012, 8:36 PM
I'm not sure if this is the kind of thing you are looking for but it might give you an idea. I made this last spring. It is pressure treated. 4x4 post, 2x8x16' long stretchers. The horizontals are set in rabbets in the post and held with deck screws. The top short horizontals are notched to fit on the long stretchers also held in place w/ deck screws. The 2"x2" runners on the very top are simply screwed w/ deck screws. The diagonal braces are mortised and tendon and pegged w/ white oak pegs made with a dowel plate. The deck screws are from Lowe's and are available in tan or green and aren't very noticeable. They are not supporting the boards, just holding them in the rabbets. I made this without plans and not being an engineer can't say if this is structurally correct. Good luck with your design.

Igor Petrenko
03-20-2012, 12:22 AM
Thank you! keywords "timber frame" along with "pergola" produced perfect google image results.

David Posey
03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Oddly enough I hadn't thought of googling that combination. Another possible option would be to add fasteners that actually looked good with the design like these:

http://www.rensup.com/Products/Cat-1902.htm&affID=8002357

I'm sure there are other sources for similar items. I would have two questions about those, however: 1) would it actually solve any problems that timber framing wouldn't? I'm not sure that it would, and I think the biggest problem would still be how one would fasten perpendicular boards together. 2) How well would these hold in the wood? I'm sure they would hold better than regular nails because of the way cut nails work, but I don't know if it would be good enough to not back out over time considering they're exposed to the elements. Perhaps someone else could weigh in on this.

Paul Gatti
03-21-2012, 5:49 PM
Here a picture of the Pergola I built last year. I did use galvanized bolts, but I really like the way they look. I have the plans in MS Visio format if you're interested.

John Baranowski
03-21-2012, 5:59 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but other than aesthetics, what is the purpose of a pergola? To me, it seems to be a shade structure that doesn't provide shade. Am I missing something?

Paul Gatti
03-21-2012, 7:09 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but other than aesthetics, what is the purpose of a pergola? To me, it seems to be a shade structure that doesn't provide shade. Am I missing something?

For me, shade was the primary purpose behind the pergola, but I also like the decorative quality. The picture in my post was taken just after we finished building it. We've since planted climbing vines that will eventually fill in the entire structure. You can also install an internal canopy like this.

http://www.shadefxcanopies.com/images/DSC_0255.jpg

Mike Henderson
03-21-2012, 7:13 PM
I built one to support a swing (bench style to fit three people).

Mike

Carl Beckett
03-22-2012, 7:18 AM

Im in the process of this same project. For me, I need to support a decorative tree (red bud) that lays across the entrance to the house (literally if not supported its about an 8" trunk, horizontal about 2 ft off the ground directly across the walk way).

Architecturally they are used for transition/extension of space, or creating separate defined areas.

The amount of shade can be dialed up or down depending on what you want. Climbing plants can make a very private setting if you like that.

Todd Hyman
03-22-2012, 8:36 AM
Here a picture of the Pergola I built last year. I did use galvanized bolts, but I really like the way they look. I have the plans in MS Visio format if you're interested.

Paul im interested in your plans. Can you PM them to me.

Thanks Todd

Kent A Bathurst
03-22-2012, 10:36 AM
This WRC arbor has some galvanized and stainless fasteners, but not so you can see them. Neighborhood is pretty much all mid-20's arts and crafts bungalows.

The projecting beams have galv lag screws down through the top, anchoring them to the main cross beams.

The corner braces have galv lag screws anchoring them to the posts and cross beams, but those are counterbored and covered by 1" square ipe plugs. The braces are down-sized replicas of the ones on their front porch.

FYI - The beveled through-mortises that seat the large ipe keys got attacked with a coarse rasp - after the rain stopped - so that the keys extend through those beams [in the photos, they were about 2" short of projecting the final depth].

Also - you can see the entrance gates were assembled with glued M+T joints, and then stainless screws counterbored and covered by square ipe plugs. The gates, and all the ipe, including the post caps that peek through in the background, were finished with Epifanes. 7 coats, sanding between coats. That was one really dumb thing to offer the client...........more hours spent finishing the gates than building the dang things. Live and learn.

Everything else is unfinished WRC - the rain is responsible for the different colors.

Paul Saffold
03-22-2012, 9:35 PM
For me it was because my wife wanted it for her climbing plants. She liked it. That's all that matters. :)

ken gibbs
03-23-2012, 7:27 AM
Have you considered wind loading on your pergola? If the pergola were built connected to a dwelling, it would have to be built to hurricane wind codes and use galvanized steel connectors all the way to the top. You could use small L brace type galvanized connectors with code decking screws on top of the horizontal beams where you can not see them. I would not want to have lots of treated pine lumber flying around your home in case of a bad TMS with micro bursts or tornadoes.

Paul Gatti
03-23-2012, 6:27 PM
Paul im interested in your plans. Can you PM them to me.

Thanks Todd

Several people have pm'd me asking for the plans. There doesn't seem to be a way to send non-picture file attachments via the forums PM system. If you PM me your email address I'll send the plans.

Cesar Vega
12-10-2013, 11:15 PM

May I chime in?
I'd like to know the kind of wood and finish that was used in this pergola.

Thanks!

Howard Rosenberg
12-10-2013, 11:49 PM
Igor - whenEVER you finish this project you MUST post photos! Sounds like a great challenge. Howard

Myk Rian
12-11-2013, 7:25 AM
Planning outdoor project and looking for pictures/plans of pergola/privacy screen/trellis structures build without those ugly big galvanized bolts. I was thinking as much as possible to replace those with pegged mortises, dovetail joints, dadoes and so on. And maybe using some plugged stainless screws.
Investigate barn building.