PDA

View Full Version : hard maple source in the midwest

joe milana
03-19-2012, 3:44 PM
All of my hard maple sources here in the Kansas city area have dried up. The product from the "lumber stores" here in town are terrible (case hardened, reaction wood, $$$$, etc). Can anyone suggest a source? I usually buy rough in 100-200bf quantities. I don't mind driving within reason. Thanks!

Gary Herrmann
03-19-2012, 7:24 PM
Not sure if it's a reasonable drive for you, but I buy mine from Lumber Logs in downtown STL. You can find them on woodfinder. Tom Sontag is the owner, but I haven't seen him post here in awhile.

Larry Edgerton
03-19-2012, 7:36 PM
Not sure how far they deliver, but Johnsons Workbench has a good supply of maple. They have a location in South Bend Indiana that I believe would be the closest. I have been buying from them for many years and I trust them to send me what I want sight unseen. That is rare.

Larry

Kyle Brooks
03-19-2012, 8:15 PM
Joe, have you checked with Liberty Hardwoods there in KC? Their website is http://www.libertyhardwoodsinc.com/ and they do deliver locally. I think they do have a minimum order amount but have a large selection of products. Just a thought, that is if you have not already checked this source.

Kyle

joe milana
03-19-2012, 8:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. St. Louis is doable, South bend is a bit of a stretch, unless it was a group purchase. I have purchased from Liberty before. They do a great job on custom molding for me.

Randy Henry
03-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Joe,
Smith Lumber in Lebanon has what you want if you can do the drive. They also make there own moldings, etc. if you need that also.

Robert Chapman
03-20-2012, 9:27 PM
Try bellforestproducts.com They are in Michigan's Upper Peninsula