PDA

View Full Version : What new lathe? Vega?

Charlie Plesums
03-25-2005, 1:11 AM
I have some experience turning spindles, and would like to learn to turn bowls. Primary use would be building furniture, not pens or baseball bats. I want to get a lathe that is good enough that I am unlikely to want an upgrade - not the Rolls Royce, but certainly better than the Yugo, and probably better than a Chevy. I also want it to support a good duplicator.

I have been drooling at the Vega 1553 - 2 hp electronic variable speed 53 inch long with 15 inch swing over bed. Duplicator and outboard turning options are available.

Any comments on the Vega? What alternatives should I consider?

Richard Allen
03-25-2005, 8:08 AM
Vega is seldom mentioned as a hobiest lathe. If you are enamored with duplicators, most bobiest aren't, then Vega has a good reputation. Just so you cansider the other lathes in that "spindle production" catagory, have a look at the:

Laguna lathes CL 1200 or the Pinnacle

MiniMax T124 lathe

I would recomend that you forget about the duplicator unless you are going to be making hundreds of spindles. If you can forget the duplicator then the Powermatic would be an execlent choice.

Charlie Plesums
03-25-2005, 3:30 PM
Richard

Thanks for your response. I have updated my profile to show that I changed from full-time computer-consulting and part-time woodworking to full-time woodworking with occasional consulting. Thus I guess I am not looking for a hobby lathe but one that will help me build tables and such items. (The bowl turning requirement would be the hobby component for my wife and myself)

I have included a duplicator requirement because I have often heard "you will want to add one" and tables have at least 3 legs. Since Vega sells their duplicator separately, perhaps it would work with the Powermatic. (I appreciate your recommendation to look into the Powermatic - people seem to love it despite the ugly color)

I am not looking for a production lathe, where an unskilled laborer can be taught to run the duplicator all day, but I am looking for something that will allow me to make table legs quickly, putting my creativity into the first leg, then getting good copies for the "other" legs without spending an undue amount of time.

I have other MiniMax equipment, but haven't heard any excitement about the MiniMax lathe. Have you used it?

Do you have an opinion on how Vega compares with OneWay or Nova, and how those compare with the Powermatic?

John Shuk
03-25-2005, 4:02 PM
Bill Grumbine had a Mini-Max for sale in the classifieds. I don't know if it sold. Might want to check those out.

Steve Inniss
03-27-2005, 8:12 AM
Charlie,
An alternative to consider is the DVR 3000. I have the 3k as well as the Vega duplicator. Any questions I can answer... -Steve

Richard Wolf
03-27-2005, 9:18 AM
I have the Mini Max T124 copy lathe. It is an excellent spindle machine. While there are better lathes for bowl turning the T124 will do bowls well but does not allow outboard turning.
I also have a Record lathe with a vega duplicator. The lathe works very well but I'm not overly impressed with the vega. The problem with vega type duplicators is the whip it produces in the spindle, you will have to come up with some kind of steady rest system to get consistent results. The Mini Max and Lagunas lathes address that problem nicely.
Bill Grumbine still has his T124 for sale and their is also Bryant on the MM forum that is selling one. I know you know MM quailty and the T124 is a great lathe.

Richard

Charlie Plesums
03-27-2005, 1:26 PM
Charlie,
An alternative to consider is the DVR 3000. I have the 3k as well as the Vega duplicator. Any questions I can answer... -Steve

The Nova DVR 3000 looked interesting, but $2000 compared to $900 for the Nova 3000 lathe, which seems to be the same unit except with the belt drive, seemed like a huge jump. Is the new technology motor really worth the difference?

How does the Vega duplicator "mesh" with the Nova lathe? I have heard that Vega is king of the duplicators, when used with their steady, but have been concerned with how it "bolts on" to a different brand of lathe. I assume that you have the "Pro" rather than the "Utility (hobby)" duplicator.

Charlie

Charlie Plesums
03-27-2005, 1:33 PM
...I also have a Record lathe with a vega duplicator. The lathe works very well but I'm not overly impressed with the vega. The problem with vega type duplicators is the whip it produces in the spindle, you will have to come up with some kind of steady rest system to get consistent results. ...
Richard

The Vega "Utility" duplicator does not appear to have a steady rest, but the Vega "Pro" duplicator has a couple optional steadies. Can I assume that you have the Utility duplicator?

Richard Wolf
03-27-2005, 2:14 PM
Charlie, My Vega duplicator is fairly old and may be the utility version. I have not seen the steady rest for the pro model. If their steady rest will follow the copy device along the spindle you may find it works for you. Keep in mind that all duplicators will have some limitations, some people think you chuck a piece of wood in, turn the handle and remove a finished chair leg. Ain't so. Good luck with a difficuly choice.

Richard

Steve Inniss
03-27-2005, 5:38 PM
The Nova DVR 3000 looked interesting, but $2000 compared to $900 for the Nova 3000 lathe, which seems to be the same unit except with the belt drive, seemed like a huge jump. Is the new technology motor really worth the difference?

How does the Vega duplicator "mesh" with the Nova lathe? I have heard that Vega is king of the duplicators, when used with their steady, but have been concerned with how it "bolts on" to a different brand of lathe. I assume that you have the "Pro" rather than the "Utility (hobby)" duplicator.

Charlie
Well, I'm not exactly sure on the Vega model. It may be before they produced a utility model? The "mesh" is merely based on the plates to bolt it to the ways. It takes all of 5 minutes to set-up. At times I have it on the back side of the lathe. The DVR has an electronic button for reverse, then I have the cutter in upside down.
Much like turning by hand, honing the cutting tool really helps avoid whip.
I have never thought twice about the extra $ for the DVR - for me it has been absolutely worth it. -Steve

Matthew Boerwinkle
06-21-2006, 8:54 AM
Hi Charlie,

I live in Decatur, IL. I too am shopping for a good lathe. I googled Vega just to see if they had a website, and found they do and they're also located on the outskirts of Decatur, IL. I called the Vega and made an appointment to view the lathes on the assembly line.

The factory is an old WWII ammo plant that wasn't very appealing in appearance, but the work done inside was. I met the plant manager and he personally took me through and showed their product line and he also did a few demonstrations. I was very impressed with the quality of their product including the 1553-2hp-invertor model. I've been an aircraft mechanic for 17 years, and their machining and assembly is on par with aviation standards, much like the Oneway lathes.

I'm buying a 1553 after my next paycheck, directly from the factory manager, (about $600 less than retail sales).

MAtt

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-21-2006, 9:29 AM
elcome Matt, great first post, but next time take pictures, we LOVE pictures, and I'm sure many here would really like to see the inside of that plant!

Charlie, I have the Nova DVR-3000, I just love it, Nova now has the DVR-XP, a jump up I guess, that is the one that is $2199 US.

I understand that the Nova 3000 (Belt drive) is going to be rolled out in a new model in the fall, so you might want to wait for that, if that is the way you want to go.

I think the DVR-3000 is really a great lathe, you can make your own stand and I think this lathe would do you right for a long time, but you are also very fortunate to be where you are, with all the options you have.

Good luck!

George Conklin
06-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Richard

(I appreciate your recommendation to look into the Powermatic - people seem to love it despite the ugly color)

:eek: BLASPHEMER!!!:eek: ;) :)

Quinn McCarthy
06-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Charlie

I have the Vega 1553 and have been very happy with it. It has performed great for me. I bought it for furniture turnings and the 53" beteween centers. The variable speed control is great. I have also bought the outboard turning attachment and 2' tool rest. I plan on buying a duplicator as well. The only issue I have is it is a little under powered when turning very large things on the outboard side. I had turned some 20" table tops and you had to take it easy but it did it. The ways of the lathe are hollow and can be filled with cement or sand to add weight to the machine.

Mike Vickery
06-21-2006, 11:52 AM
If I could make a suggestion, you may want to consider finding a couple a professional woodturners and give them your requirements and price range and see what lathes they recommend. We are lucky htat the internet has opened up so much information and access to people that we would not normally have. The reason I value their opinions so much is they usually have a great deal of experience on different lathes from demos at clubs and stores. The problem with asking on the forums is usually every body thinks their lathe is the best for the money. I do not mean this is a slam on people it is just that they would not have bought it if they did not consider it the best value.
I am in the market for a new lathe though with a smaller dollar amount than yours and was kind of suprised 3 of the 4 pro's I e-mailed recommended the same lathe (for my price range and requirements)with the 4th not really giving an answer. To me that ways very heavily in my decision.

Jim Becker
06-21-2006, 11:59 AM
The NOVA DVR is a whole different kind of technology than the older "NOVA" design...they share some similarities (and probably some parts) for the bed, etc., but the "business ends" of each aren't even in the same solar system. The DVR is a "new generation" motor technology, electronically controlled and direct drive.
---

I'd suggest you select a heavy machine for the type of work you propose. The PM 3520B is very nice for the money and yes, you can put the Vega duplicator on should you determine you really need it. (Four legs turned manually is often faster and cleaner than with a duplicator...and since they are not right next to each other...minor differences are never going to be noticed) The same lathe will also satisfy your potential enjoyment for turning bowls and vessels...err...accessory pieces for your furniture sales...LOL!

I will say, however, that the Vega lathes, while not represented in mass in the community, are well thought of from a quality perspective.

Stu Ablett in Tokyo Japan
06-21-2006, 1:51 PM
If I could make a suggestion, you may want to consider finding a couple a professional woodturners and give them your requirements and price range and see what lathes they recommend. We are lucky htat the internet has opened up so much information and access to people that we would not normally have. The reason I value their opinions so much is they usually have a great deal of experience on different lathes from demos at clubs and stores. The problem with asking on the forums is usually every body thinks their lathe is the best for the money. I do not mean this is a slam on people it is just that they would not have bought it if they did not consider it the best value.
I am in the market for a new lathe though with a smaller dollar amount than yours and was kind of suprised 3 of the 4 pro's I e-mailed recommended the same lathe (for my price range and requirements)with the 4th not really giving an answer. To me that ways very heavily in my decision.

Mike brings up a VERY good point.

Charlie Plesums
06-21-2006, 4:40 PM
Charlie, I have the Nova DVR-3000, I just love it, Nova now has the DVR-XP, a jump up I guess, that is the one that is $2199 US.

I understand that the Nova 3000 (Belt drive) is going to be rolled out in a new model in the fall, so you might want to wait for that, if that is the way you want to go.

I think the DVR-3000 is really a great lathe, you can make your own stand and I think this lathe would do you right for a long time, but you are also very fortunate to be where you are, with all the options you have.

Good luck!

Thanks to all for the responses and suggestions. Somehow this post from over a year ago got awakened. I made the decision and have had my Nova DVR 3000 now for over a year.

The outboard rest has had minimal use. I have added (temporarily) two extensions beyond the "standard" extension, and have turned some spindles over 5 feet long, out of ipe (my skew skills really got a warm up.) My wife calls it my hobby... when I encounter a challenge building furniture, I appear with a few new bowls to relieve my frustration.

Somebody recently introduced me to segmented turning, so now almost no scrap is too small to use... and any leftover bowl segments become bracelets and napkin rings.