PDA

View Full Version : License Plate Frame ideas

Amy Shelton
03-19-2012, 1:06 PM
A customer wants pricing on nice license plate frames.

I would rather laser engrave them, but I can do dye sub. (Dye sub would likely fade in the sun.)

Are there any premade license frames available, in black that engrave silver or gold?

Or are there frames which have an insert area at the top and bottom, that I can engrave on 1/32" thick stock, and glue to it?

I guess another option is to use stainless steel and engrave with thermark. I'd like to give them a few options.

Thanks!
Amy

Mark Sipes
03-19-2012, 9:25 PM
are there frames which have an insert area at the top and bottom, that I can engrave on 1/32" thick stock, and glue to it?

Sure you can engrave on 1/32" and use a good acrylic double sided tape. I have used the tape from JDS H120 series for years. Our local police dept has the frames on all the cars and I have yet to have one come back for seperation.

Steven Cox
03-20-2012, 8:08 AM
Are there any premade license frames available, in black that engrave silver or gold?

Amy, there are heaps of companies that make both plastic & stainless license plate frames. Just google "plastic license plate frames laser engraved"

Most common I think are made from black ABS plastic and painted in 2 pac gloss in an array of colours, so if you engrave these the lettering/graphics will be black.

Kevin Huffman
03-20-2012, 3:21 PM
One idea, use a mirrored acrylic.
Cut the frames out yourself. The pictures show an entire license plate.
You can do an engraving through the mirrored part and then just spray paint the back side (See the engraved photo). When you engraved will show the color of the paint and where you didn't engrave will just be over sprayed with that color. (see the front photo).

Bruce Clumpner
03-20-2012, 5:53 PM
Amy,

LaserBits sells a license frame with black-powder coating over chrome (NUS 118) for laser engraving, but it's fairly expensive to use for resale. I've looked around for other suppliers but have not had any luck. I'd be interested if anyone else has found an economical source for something similar.

Steven Cox
03-20-2012, 7:05 PM
Hi Amy, Bruce, anyone else interesred...
I did a quick search and found these 2 suppliers/manufactures that might be helpful, strandart.com and licenseplateframes.biz both based in the US so good for you guys but adds that extra element of freight for me, so I'm liking Kevin's idea to make some myself.