PDA

View Full Version : IndyFest Hand Plane Competition Update

John Weber
03-25-2005, 12:32 AM
Ok Guys, I hope everyone coming to IndyFest April 30th is getting their hand planes sharpened and ready to go. I spent a couple hours tonight in the shop tonight and was able to get some decent full length/full width shavings from some 2” cherry a little over 4’ long. There is a nasty knot on the end, so that was a bit of a challenge. I hope to secure the contest wood next week and right now I’m thinking either 6/4 or 8/4 straight grain cherry. Initially I was thinking 4’ would be plenty, but to create I bit more of a challenge; I think 6’ stock would be better. I’m also working on a tie breaker, so if you have any ideas I would like to hear them. Here was one of my shavings from tonight. I can’t really get a good measurement with my digital caliper, so I’m not sure how thin, but I’m guessing in the .001 range. So get those planes ready. I’ll talk to Ray and firm up the time and judging for the contest. I might also need a couple volunteers to help everything run smoothly, if you are interested, let me know. And finally thanks again to our prize sponsors: Knight Toolworks, Lee Valley & Veritas, and Lie-Nielsen Toolworks for the wonderful prizes.

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/pics05/indyfestshaving.jpg

Charles Luck
03-25-2005, 8:03 PM
Hi John, Chuck here. I live in Elwood, IN. I'd be willing to help you out if I can. I was thinking of entering my Knight Infill Smoother and me in the contest, but I just don't have enough planing experience to do it justice. So if you need some help let me know. I'm less than an hour away from Middletown. I grew up in Anderson, so I"m familiar with the area. Let me know what you need. Later, Chuck.