PDA

View Full Version : A simple re-hab: D8

steven c newman
03-19-2012, 10:34 AM
About done with the saw. Started with a rusty, broken handled $2 handsaw from a Thrift store. Lower 1/2" of the Thumbhole handle was missing. A couple sawnuts were also MIA. Bought a second saw while at the store, to be a "Donor Saw". Mainly for the sawnuts. Got to cleaning the saw plate up. We have ETCH! Two etchs! Signed By henry himself! So, now i had a D8, thumbhole handled, skew backed rip saw marked "5 1/2 " in the lower corner under the handle.

I also had an old 10" backsaw, with a broken handle ( They are hard on handles around this neck of the woods) I COULD make a new handle for the back saw, not a problem. As I was getting the broken handle off, I glanced over at the D8. Took the back saw's old handle, and laid it against the thumbhole handle. Hmmmm, there is just enough of a match there. Marked the backsaw's handle, cut what I needed off. I seem to like to recycle wood, anyway.

After gluing the "new" part in place, a bit of shaping/sanding was done. I also finished the clean up on the saw plates, all three saw plates. Donor saw's plywood handle is now ready to "model" as i make a new handle for the "Donor" saw. Backsaw has a new Black Walnut handle curing out. Donor saw supplied a couple sawnuts to the backsaw, as well as two to the D8. Donor saw is stamped "8" so i guess i have a crosscut saw coming to the shop. As for the D8, how about a little "Eye Candy"?227535 Total costs of the three saws? $5.21 with tax. :D

Jim Koepke
03-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Looks like some good finds.

My D8 has been doing a lot of ripping of late.

jtk

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-19-2012, 1:26 PM
Nice old saw like that should serve you well. I'd be tempted to add a bit more of a flaring curve to the replacement bottom horn, but I tend to put pressure there with the back of my hand to sort of pivot things and take the weight off the blade when starting a cut or working with a saw that's filed a little more aggressive and "grabby" for the work I'm doing.