PDA

View Full Version : In Kyoto-where to shop for woodworking tools

Brent Ring
03-19-2012, 8:52 AM
I am in Kyoto and am trying to find some good places to shop for hand planes and chisels. Good ones. Can some one help me with store names or places to go. I will be here until Saturday

Mark Wyatt
03-19-2012, 9:54 AM
It has been a few years since I was in Japan, but chisels and other edged tools are often found at a knife shop. You might try Shigeharu or Aritsugu in Kyoto.

Stuart Tierney
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
I wish I could help, but to be completely honest I don't know. Haven't spent enough time in Kyoto to know any haunts, and when I was there, I was playing tourist. :)

(Or looking for calamine lotion for my shingles. Of all the times to get it, I got it while I was there...)

Whoever is holding your hand there, tell them what you want to see/buy and let them do some legwork/make phone calls, etc.

Stu.

(If you get really desperate, I can ask a few of the tool makers where you can go to find some stuff. But seriously, don't expect to find too much, and anything they don't have on the shelf they'll get in for you in about a week. Probably early next week. Good luck.)

Brent Ring
03-25-2012, 11:39 PM
Mark,

Thanks for the recommendations. Shigeharu was a great stop. See my other post regarding the stop.