PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
03-19-2012, 7:21 AM
19 Mar 2012

Good Morning Everyone,
It's been a very busy working weekend for me and I'm ready for resolution to come.
This is spring break week for us and my #2 son is recovering from having all 4 wisdom teeth removed last week. The good thing is that he seems to be recovering fine. Oh to be young again. :)

No woodworking for me this weekend, but I did get the mower out and get it checked out as our weeds....I mean grass is starting to grow and I'm really not going to like mowing this year with gas being so expensive. I guess we'll see how this goes.

I've got some plans for my boys to help me with some shop cleanup, but I guess we'll see how far that goes towards the end of this week.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.!!!!

Bobby O'Neal
03-19-2012, 7:59 AM
In anticipation of new floors and trim next weekend, I did some drywall repairs and painting and also started tearing out the old trim. I'll whitle away at the rest of it and also tear out the old flooring this week. Did build a coat rack but that only took a couple hours.

Matt Meiser
03-19-2012, 8:48 AM
Our lawn has turned very green since the bad storms dumped a bunch of rain Thursday night. I'm sure we aren't far from needing to mow but there's no way I'll be able to mow much of it any time soon due to standing water. And speaking of the storms, I went to pick my daughter up Friday after school and had to drive right by the house that was hit by the tornado near us. No one was hurt but there's a lot of damage and seeing an upside down car in the yard is rather sobering. Especially when it takes about 3 minutes to get there from our house.

Saturday morning bright and early I met a contractor friend about 20 minutes north to unload a trailer full of white oak into a barn. White oak sure is heavy! Then we returned home and he finished the wiring for our generator while I was the gofer. All went well except that we discovered 1/2 the wiring into the old panel was in conduit (what I saw) and 1/2 was in the wall stapled in 3 spots so we had to cut out the drywall below the panel. That's of course going to lead to repairing drywall, stripping an accent wall of wallpaper and general repairs before painting the utility room. That's the only room we've not repainted since moving here 8 years ago so its past time, but wasn't in the plans. After testing everything we then headed over to my parents so he could scope out what was needed to install the same unit at my parents' house. He's doing all the electrical, I'm constructing the stone pad and setting the unit, and their HVAC contractor is doing the gas over there.

Sunday I took care of some cleanup and other house items then took my mom shopping at Lowes for all the big items they need for their installation since my dad wanted the points on his Cabelas card (he was bummed he couldn't pay for the generator at Costco!) had dinner and came back home so I could throw together a quick shelf for the basement so we can think about getting rid of a rickety old table/shelf thing the previous owners left and we've been using "temporarily" for storage.

Also, the surest sign of spring yet--the local ice cream shop opened for the season at 3PM yesterday. Unfortunately we were driving by at 2:32! We were tempted to wait to be first in line.

I'm itching to get going on a woodworking project. Between work, my Unisaw resto-mod, the generator, etc here it is mid-March and I finished my last project early December. The plan was to finally do our long-delayed bed but now I'd kind of like to do new cabinetry for the utility room too.

Shawn Pixley
03-19-2012, 10:12 AM
It was very windy here (Gale & Storm warnings), so it was an indoor weekend. Played guitar and did a bit of recording on Saturday. Started cutting the mortises for the cabinet legs on Sunday. I am probably half done. Put a pot roast on in the afternoon. Made the house smell great.

Ron Natalie
03-19-2012, 11:03 AM
I pulled an exterior wood door (gosh solid core doors are heavy) off and stripped it, sanded it, restained it and varnish it. This one never seemed to have taken the finish right. Unfortunately, I've got three more to do that was my old darn fault for procastinating on renewing the varnish. I've also got several more and the garage and hangar doors to throw some varnish on before they get any worse.

I got my new JJP-12HH delivered, uncrated, and setup and the old Powermatic 6" jointer it replaced lugged over to my neighbors shop, and his old RIDGID jointer up to his hangar (yes between jointer lugging and moving doors around I am sore).

Also managed to cook St. Patty's Day corn beef and cabbage and black and tans for 11 folks.

David Hostetler
03-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Spent Saturday at a Men's conference at the church, a lot of good speakers, and quality time with good friends, not to mention Thai food for lunch! A good day overall...

Spent some time on Sunday afternoon painting the ceiling in the front hallway. Coat #2 is coming tonight. I didn't bother priming it as Glidden Ceiling white pretty much acts as its own primer...

Also spent a little tiny bit of time cleaning the shop. Have a VERY long way to go, but started putting some of the tools away so that I wouldn't lose any of the accessories that go with them...

Steve Kohn
03-19-2012, 1:09 PM
After a several month delay due to other priorities and weather I set up the spray booth and finished the cherry and walnut kitchen table that had been taking up space in the shop.