PDA

View Full Version : better pic tribute to DD

joel nucifore
03-19-2012, 7:17 AM
227529227530 Ordering photo set up today but did the white sheet pic stands at 12 and 3/4 inches high....

what back ground, and were do you order it from for you pics?????? And so the vortex spins in another direction.....

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2012, 9:59 AM
Joel - I am sure there are a number of places to order a backdrop, so check around. I have the #39 (31"x43") from here: Photo Tech Inc (http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm)

joel nucifore
03-19-2012, 10:25 AM
thanks steve will order it today. And then read and learn how to try and use the camera..... HA

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2012, 10:45 AM
Joel - there are a few folks here that excel at photos... but most of us are still learning the basics. If you have any questions please ask as I am sure we would all learn right along with you!

Jim Underwood
03-19-2012, 10:46 AM
First I think you should iron your sheet, and drape it with no wrinkles of folds on a boxed frame (pvc works great) around the piece. Then place a couple of good lights outside your box it so it diffuses the light for more even coverage and no hard shadows (like your picture number one).
There are several good tutorials around on how to build a light box/photo setup. Jamie Donaldson has a couple out there I think...

Speakin' o' which, I need to dig mine out of the sawdust and take some decent pix. I've been too lazy and have been shooting pix off the countertop...

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2012, 12:22 PM
The need for improved photographic technique is obvious. But I would like to talk about your piece. As crappy as they are, these pics show the form much better. I am taken with the way you pulled the lower half of the bulb in with a reverse curve. I had not thought of that. I might even "borrow" that on a future piece. The pictures still make it hare to "read" the details but the overall proportions look good. A very intriguing variation.

joel nucifore
03-19-2012, 1:11 PM
David thank you, your pc's and following you on the web is the only reason I tried it. To be honest it is my first finial of any kind, and I owe it all to luck. Only been turnning again for about 7 weeks and thought big is the only thing I wanted to do. Used the Nano tool and made it easy the opening is 7/16 and the tools cuts like butter.
Now I just went and picked up the adaptor of the tool and going to fit it to the monster system. Maybe try another one with some piercings on it.... BUT I GIVE YOU ALL THE THUNDER FOR SUCH A GREAT DESIGN AND FORM......and I thank you for the insperation....

Baxter Smith
03-19-2012, 10:58 PM
Nice work. Looking forward to a little sharper pictures though!;):)

John Keeton
03-20-2012, 6:05 AM
Joel, part of the problem with your image is the size. It is about 16KB - way too small for any detail or good contrast. I would suggest that you back up some, use a small aperture, and good lighting to take the pic. Then, using FastStone, or some other free imaging software, tweak the image for color, crop it, and resize it as close to, but under, 108KB as you can. That should produce an image with good depth of field, good detail, and large enough for folks to appreciate the fine work you have done.

Like David, I think the repetition of the concave curve in the lower body is an excellent take on this form. I would prefer a bit larger bead or inset between the form and pedestal - maybe you can try that on the next one to see if you like it, as well.

Also, a lot of us have ordered the gradient background from here - http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm (http://www.phototechinc.com/graduate.htm)#39 is popular.

Edit - I cropped and tweaked your image as much as possible.

joel nucifore
03-20-2012, 7:31 AM
John ,
Again thank you ordered #39 yesterday will be trying to get set up for taken better pics now. I can say it was just all luck that I somewhat pulled this off, but I do love it......