PDA

View Full Version : New DIY router table

Michael Mayo
03-19-2012, 1:14 AM
Well I have been wanting to build a nice router table and finally decided to just buy the plans I saw on Plansnow.com for a nice table made out of mostly MDF. I went to buy the MDF today and was a little shocked at how much the MDF cost. I thought MDF was inexpensive but I guess I thought wrong. $31.00 per sheet for 3/4" at the local Homey's. I bought it anyway along with a small project sheet of hardboard. And brought it home to get started cutting parts.

Prior to leaving I was looking at the plans and damn if they don't include a cutlist or materials specific list like how much sheet stock you need to purchase?? Really is annoying when they don't include a cutlist so you can see how much sheet stock you need. So I fired up Sketchup and figured out the first two sheets and went with it figuring I wouldn't finish cutting all of those parts this weekend anyway. So I got the first sheet of parts all cut today and was pretty satisfied with the progress. My new crosscut sled is unbelievably dead accurate so all of my cuts were perfect to the plans. That may be a first....:D

Anyway I was just going through the list of other parts I will need to complete this nice router table that includes some really nice dust collection features and a fence extension to the rear of the table that folds down for storage. I just finished calculating what the costs are going to be which I should have done BEFORE I bought the plans but you have to buy the damn plans before you can figure out whether it's feasible or not. I am up to $250.00 at the moment and that doesn't include misc. other easy to source hardware locally. I don't see that stuff mostly screws costing more than another $30.00. I was really excited to get started on this project as i really need a nice table for my router with a good fence, I am feeling kind of bummed now that I have priced out everything. I will continue with it but it looks like it won't get completed for quite a while as i will have to buy the parts I need slowly and space out the purchases. Stuff like a power switch, t-track, miter track, dust flange, etc. all of it adds up quick.

That's it for my rant I finally got the shop setup efficiently and the first good project I get started on ends up being a financial downer...........:( Oh well it will all work out in the end.

This is the plans I bought:
http://plansnow.com/dn3105.html

frank shic
03-19-2012, 9:59 AM
yes but the sense of accomplishment and pride after you finish it is priceless ;)

John Kali
03-19-2012, 12:05 PM
Dont forget theres something to be said for having something exactly the way you want it! I use my router table on basically every project, and its usually on boards at least 50 inches long. So I made my table 48 inches wide and 40 inches deep. Its a monster, but it gives me all the support I need, and I no longer struggle to keep the piece stable on the table as I rout. I dont care how much it cost.

frank shic
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
Dont forget theres something to be said for having something exactly the way you want it! I use my router table on basically every project, and its usually on boards at least 50 inches long. So I made my table 48 inches wide and 40 inches deep. Its a monster, but it gives me all the support I need, and I no longer struggle to keep the piece stable on the table as I rout. I dont care how much it cost.

that is one MASSIVE table! any chance you can post a pick? would love to see it :)

John Kali
03-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I can take some pics when I get home. Its really nothing fancy, it was just scraps of stuff I had laying around. I'm waiting for it to sag or wear out so I can build a proper table with a laminate top, and shelves and everything fancy.