PDA

View Full Version : walnut wings

Lee Alkureishi
03-19-2012, 12:20 AM
Hi all,

this is my first attempt at a winged bowl, in walnut. the diameter of the bowl portion is 3.5".

Rapped my knuckles more than once sanding this one!

Lee

John Keeton
03-19-2012, 6:07 AM
Lee, the knuckle rapping is one reason I haven't attempted one of these yet - I applaud your efforts! Love the wood, and looks like you did a good job with this one. Congrats on achieving a finished winged bowl and still having all your fingers!:D

Bernie Weishapl
03-19-2012, 9:42 AM
Nice looking bowl Lee. I did one just to say I did but did not enjoy the knuckle buster.

Fred Belknap
03-19-2012, 9:53 AM
Nice work and that one is little different than most that I have seen.

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2012, 10:04 AM
Congrats on your first winged bowl! Doesn't take long to remember to keep everything on the user side of the tool rest!! Looking forward to seeing your next winged bowl!

Lee Alkureishi
03-19-2012, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

I used a home brew friction polish for the finish - equal parts lacquer, thinner and BLO. I realized very quickly that this was the wrong choice -impossible to create friction on the wings while keeping all my fingers!

I ended up wiping the finish on, then buffing with a rotary tool. Not as shiny as I'd like, but I count it as a "save"!

Has anyone had any experience with adding wax to this kind of finish in the bottle? I'm thinking it'll help to level the finish and impart a little more gloss/sheen... I have beeswax, but would carnauba wax be a better option?

Thanks!

Lee

David DeCristoforo
03-19-2012, 12:59 PM
Kind of like sanding an airplane propeller.... while it's spinning!?!?

Baxter Smith
03-19-2012, 11:00 PM
Nice work on the "I had better pay attention" bowl!;):)