PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have TMD/TMJ?

Phil Thien
03-18-2012, 9:57 PM
I've heard it referred to both ways. Temporomandibular disorders, I guess, is the correct technical name.

Basically, problems w/ the lower jaw.

I'm 47, never had any sort of problem with my jaw.

My problem started about two weeks ago. Basically, when I wake up in the morning my teeth won't align if I bite down. I have to use the palm of my hand to push on my lower jaw while biting down to get the teeth to mesh properly. Takes several minutes. Painful, but tolerable.

Then it goes out of whack throughout the day.

Moving jaw (opening mouse) can cause discomfort.

I've read that chewing gum causes problems for people w/ TMD. Funny thing is, I was chewing one to two sticks of gum per day until about a month or two ago because I like peppermint gum. I stopped, in fact, because the store kept running out of my favorite gum and I thought "to heck with it, I'll save the money and skip the gum." Also, even though it was sugar-free, I was told by a really smart guy that it is still hard on the fillings.

I've also had a bad cold and possible sinus infection for the last week or so. I hear that can contribute.

I'm sure hoping this clears up.

Great way to lose weight, though.

Any tips/tricks for enduring this would be welcome.

Larry Edgerton
03-19-2012, 7:08 AM
My ex wife had that. She ended up having to wear a mouth guard, similar to a football guard but custom fit, when she went to sleep. It was working.

Can't tell you how it ended uplong term, she is my ex.

Larry

Greg Peterson
03-19-2012, 9:51 AM
+1 on the mouth guard. Check with your dentist.

I have it, although a very minor case. For me it is mostly transient. It comes and goes, lasting several days to a week. I do know that certain foods will cause it flair up. It isn't the food but rather the biting pressure required to break it down. Muesli has to be cooked, eating it 'raw' with just milk will definitely make me sore for the next 5-7 days.

Eric DeSilva
03-19-2012, 11:21 AM
+2 on the mouth guard/dentist visit. I had an issue about 10 years ago--feeling like it was out of joint all day long, occasional pop at unpredictable times that was accompanied by a rather blinding flash of pain...

Got a mouth guard, used it for about a month. Problem went away and has never come back. Feel pretty luck about that.

Rob Cunningham
03-19-2012, 12:23 PM
+3 on the mouth guard. My dentist calls it a night guard. I started wearing one last year because I grind my teeth when sleeping, which can also cause TMJ.

Brian Elfert
03-19-2012, 1:41 PM
I had problems with pain in the jaw joints about a year ago. My dentist did some testing and sent me to the dental clinic at the local dental school. They did a workup and had me see a physical therapist who specializes in joint issues. The minor changes the therapist recommended cleared up the pain before my second appointment two weeks later.

They consider even touching your teeth together at all (when not chewing) to be a problem. I have some pretty minor wear on my teeth due to this. I don't have jaw joint pain when I wake up so they said I really don't need a mouth guard.

sarah schell
03-19-2012, 2:23 PM
I have TMJ. I have been wearing a night guard for years, and it pretty much prevents problems. I woke up one morning and could not even get a straw in my mouth. I was just locked shut and was in some pretty severe discomfort. It took several hours in the dentist's chair to get it open and make the molds for the guard. He told me to apply a warm damp cloth to the side of my face for 15 minutes and off for 45 minutes throughout the day. Now anytime I feel a flare up coming on I do that for several hours and take some type of OTC anti-inflammatory.

ray hampton
03-19-2012, 4:29 PM
not being able to eat because of jaw pain is not a recommended way to diet[no pun intended ]

Van Huskey
03-19-2012, 6:16 PM
I would call your dentist and see whether they want you to come there about it or just refer you. Given the quick onset of issues especially making it to 47 with NONE it may be something else. Any unusual stress lately?

Phil Thien
03-19-2012, 8:13 PM
I would call your dentist and see whether they want you to come there about it or just refer you. Given the quick onset of issues especially making it to 47 with NONE it may be something else. Any unusual stress lately?

I can't think of any (stress).

The more time that passes, the more I think this has something to do with a cold I've had. And a possible sinus infection that seems to be resolving by itself.

Like all day today I was problem free. Pain when I woke up, gone while at work, started again 8 hours later at the dog park. I don't think I've been pain-free for eight hours in a couple of weeks.

I figured I'd give it a few more days and if it doesn't start to drastically improve (now that I'm really getting over the cold), I'd check w/ my dentist.

You're right, though, and if I hadn't had a cold I'd have gotten to the dentist sooner. Just didn't want to go right away in case this was a side-effect of the cold.

Phil Thien
03-19-2012, 8:21 PM
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions in regards to the mouth guard.

Does the mouth guard do anything besides preventing teeth grinding at night? Because I'm pretty sure I don't grind my teeth. Or does the guard also perform another function?

I had a bit of research on them to kind of prepare me for the prospect of my dentist telling me I need one. I found a product mentioned that is sold at Wal-Mart that is DIY (you apparently boil something and then mold it in your mouth). Ran into quite a bit of positive feedback for that product.

So hopefully this is all cold-related and it doesn't become necessary. But it is good to know you guys have had good luck with the guards.

Van Huskey
03-19-2012, 10:05 PM
One other thought, do you still have your wisdom teeth? Impacted wisdom teeth can cause this type of symptom as well.

Phil Thien
03-19-2012, 10:24 PM
One other thought, do you still have your wisdom teeth? Impacted wisdom teeth can cause this type of symptom as well.

Good thought, but no, I had them out thirty years ago.

Larry Whitlow
03-19-2012, 10:54 PM
Phil,

I use a night guard. Actually on my second one -- wore the first one out. I suppose you can purchase off the shelf, but I think it bettter if you have one custom fit by your dentist. They take a mold so the fit is perfect for your bite. I don't have TMJ that I know of but have experienced that jaw "popping" sensation in the past. I have used the night guard for a long time because I grind my teeth. It does work well.

Wayne Hendrix
03-19-2012, 11:48 PM
... I found a product mentioned that is sold at Wal-Mart that is DIY (you apparently boil something and then mold it in your mouth). Ran into quite a bit of positive feedback for that product. ...

If you end up needing one I would look at the custom ones that a dentist makes for you. The over the counter ones work but tend to be larger and more bulky than necessary. One of the girls that my wife works with was telling my wife how much she saved by buying one from Walmart instead of the dentist, but changed her tune when she saw my wife's. The one that the dentist makes for my wife is nearly invisible, is small enough that it doesn't affect her voice at all and stays in very well. It's inconspicuous enough that I don't even know whether she has it in or not. It also last quite a while, she only needs new ones every few years.

ray hampton
03-20-2012, 3:01 AM
can you eat with the night guard in your mouth

Harry Hagan
03-20-2012, 8:54 AM
Phil,

You need to find a good orthodontist that’s up-to-speed with developments in the field. Not only is my personal orthodontist conveniently located less than a mile from my home; he’s also considered one the top orthodontists in the world according my referring dentist. No kidding.

My dentist, who’s the most meticulous person I’ve ever met and no slouch himself—a non-practicing aeronautical engineer; was told this by the big dogs at a national orthodontia symposium. The point I’m making is that since my orthodontist trains other orthodontists both nationally and internationally he’s likely to know if you have a good one in your area. Send me a PM if you’d like his contact info to get a possible referral.

Phil Thien
03-20-2012, 9:27 AM
Phil,

You need to find a good orthodontist that’s up-to-speed with developments in the field. Not only is my personal orthodontist conveniently located less than a mile from my home; he’s also considered one the top orthodontists in the world according my referring dentist. No kidding.

My dentist, who’s the most meticulous person I’ve ever met and no slouch himself—a non-practicing aeronautical engineer; was told this by the big dogs at a national orthodontia symposium. The point I’m making is that since my orthodontist trains other orthodontists both nationally and internationally he’s likely to know if you have a good one in your area. Send me a PM if you’d like his contact info to get a possible referral.

Thanks Harry, I'll keep that in mind if I need so see someone.

Harry Hagan
03-20-2012, 1:17 PM
The optimist in me hopes it will go away for you but the pragmatist in me expects you’ll be compelled to get it taken care of sooner or later. Good luck. I hope you have adequate dental insurance.

Eric DeSilva
03-20-2012, 6:25 PM
Does the mouth guard do anything besides preventing teeth grinding at night?

I believe the answer is "yes," but I'll urge you to talk to your dentist, because I'm about to reach into my memory from 10 years ago. I want to say that my dentist indicated that one function of the mouth guard was providing and resting position for your teeth/jaw. Part of the issue with TMJ is that your jaw is working while you sleep because it doesn't have a rest position it can use. Or something like that.

William Payer
03-20-2012, 6:46 PM
I believe the answer is "yes," but I'll urge you to talk to your dentist, because I'm about to reach into my memory from 10 years ago. I want to say that my dentist indicated that one function of the mouth guard was providing and resting position for your teeth/jaw. Part of the issue with TMJ is that your jaw is working while you sleep because it doesn't have a rest position it can use. Or something like that.

Phil,

The tempromandibular joint (tmj) is basically a three piece affair. The lower jaw's round docket (called the condyle), the upper surface of the joint, (pat of the maxilla) that is sloped downward when moving toward the front of hte mouth, and the miniscus or cushion pad that bufers between these two boneyelements and allows smooth movement. The lower jaw is able to open like a hinge as well as slide foreward ( and downward) ,all the time, the miniscus must remain in position between the two areas of bone. If this miniscus fails to stay in place, you get "clicking: as well as potential bone on bone pain.
The guard fabricated by your dentist firstly allows all your teeth to remain in contact with the guard so there is no "rocking" which can further exaserbate problems. Secondly, the guard allows the lower jaw to retract in the most rearward and upward position in the tmj , THE "RESTING" POSITION. This is the position where the least amount of stress on all the muscles and components occurs. This should also correspond to the position of the jaw where you have the correct interdigitation of the dentition (teeth) . Adjustment of the guard is done at the dentist and takes a little time. For this reason the Walmart version is not even close in function to what you need.
THe guard is also used during sleep when you can unconsiously grit or clench your teeth ( bruxing) and during times of high stress to again prevent such activity.
Hope this helps a little Phil.

Phil Thien
03-20-2012, 8:06 PM
Hope this helps a little Phil.

Thanks William, that is extremely helpful.

I was looking at the various products at Amazon and I can't imagine how any of them would have kept the lower jaw in the correct location (besides maybe a chin strap). I can imagine how a custom fitted mouthpiece unit would, though.

The problem seems to have improved a bit today, too. So I'm going to keep on chugging through for a few more days.

ray hampton
03-22-2012, 10:31 PM
I ask my dentist about TMD/TMJ but he fail to answer mine question, my jaw hurts when I had my first cup of tea for the day, after it pops , it are okay for the day [cross my fingers ]