PDA

View Full Version : Got in a little fishing

Jeff Monson
03-18-2012, 9:20 PM
Got a little ice fishing in last weekend, we had a great time up in Canada! Very friendly people and the fishing was good also. 4 of us made the trip, I cought the largest Pike of the weekend at 36.5", Kent my fishing partner caught the largest Walleye at 26". We caught a ton of Walleyes in the 22" to 25" range. The weather was super, last Sunday we fished in tee shirts, everyone ended up with a sunburn!!

Good times with your friends are hard to beat.

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2012, 9:44 PM
I haven't caught a walleye in years, wonderful eating. Way to go!

ray hampton
03-18-2012, 9:51 PM
why are they call "walleye ? enjoy the ice fishing while you can, this heat wave will reach to your tundra soon

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2012, 9:53 PM
Wow - it even looks warm in the photos! Congrats on the Northern... bigger than I have ever caught and that Walleye is impressive also! Glad you had a good time!! Thanks for sharing!

Larry Edgerton
03-19-2012, 7:02 AM
Very cool! I am envious.

I need to take some time off and do that. I keep saying next year......

LArry

Chris Damm
03-19-2012, 8:36 AM
We never even got enough ice to do any ice fishing here thid winter. But I did take the boat out in January to do some perch fishing. Now its going be near 80° today for another record high.

John Shuk
03-19-2012, 8:40 AM
I swore to take my boys ice fishing this year even though I've never done it. I bought the auger and sled and a couple of ice fishing poles and supplies.
NO ICE this year! I'm not complaining about the best winter in a long time but, that looks like a lot of fun. Maybe next year.

John Shuk
03-19-2012, 8:41 AM
why are they call "walleye ? enjoy the ice fishing while you can, this heat wave will reach to your tundra soon

Their eyes look clouded as if they've got cataracts. I imagine that is where the name came from.

Rich Engelhardt
03-19-2012, 8:53 AM
Love fishing!
Hate ice!

All the grunts and groans ice makes gives me the willies....
Then there's all the "ups and downs" it does that add to the excitement. (or sheer terror ;) )

Oops forgot...

Nice catches!

Bill Cunningham
03-19-2012, 9:04 PM
I live by Lake Simcoe north of Toronto, and this is usually one of the best Ice fishing lakes in Ontario, but not this year..The main lake never froze at all. Cooks bay in the south end froze pretty good, but The other large bay, Kempenfelt, was never really safe all winter. A week ago, 27 fishermen had to be rescued by airboat and helicopter because the ice broke up like a jigsaw puzzle. They were warned to stay off the lake, but morons will be morons !
http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120309/ice-fishermen-stuck-lake-simcoe-120309/

Mike Sheppard
03-20-2012, 11:13 AM
sounds like a great trip, no safe ice down here this year. a few cold days, then warm days.
Mike

Jeff Monson
03-20-2012, 12:08 PM
sounds like a great trip, no safe ice down here this year. a few cold days, then warm days.
Mike

Was alot of fun Mike, we had some pretty sketchy ice this year also. The smaller lakes in our area were safe (24"+) but the larger lakes I stayed away from. The lake we were on in Canada had 38" of ice, had to use an extension on the auger! No worries for an ATV.