PDA

View Full Version : Birds Mouth Plane Stop

Mark Dorman
03-18-2012, 6:25 PM
Made a Birds Mouth Plane Stop today. Used some scrap and Maple for a wedge.
First impressions are I like it. I can slip parts in and out quickly and it seems to hold well.
Wondering if anyone else uses one and what they think of it.

James Taglienti
03-18-2012, 6:54 PM
Is nice! I have an iron one that i use sometimes but it has to be screwed to the bench... Greatfor edges but it gets in the way sometimes... might copy yours later

Mark Dorman
03-18-2012, 7:07 PM
I may bore a hole for a peg that lines up with my dog holes. that way it moves easy and has a dozen places it fits.

Tony Shea
03-19-2012, 4:50 PM
I have also thought about making one but time has been very limited and shop fixtures are on the back burner.

My only suggestion for your setup is about your wedge. It looks as though your wedge may not make it through the long haul as the grain is running in the wrong direction. If this wedge was to break, make your new one with the grain running with the long direction of the wedge. Other than that I think this fixture valuable in keeping long boards supported by your benchtop while planing them.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
03-19-2012, 6:11 PM
Nice! Tony's right on with the wedge - I didn't even notice the grain direction until he pointed it out.

This has been on my list of things to make when I saw one in Tolpin's book, but it won't do me much good until I finish the bench.

Mark Dorman
03-19-2012, 7:51 PM
the wedge may fail but it's just a cutoff from another project. I'll see how both parts hold up and may go to some 5/4 white oak I have if anything breaks. funny thing is I thought the same thing when I started using them (I have 3) about a year ago for bench dogs and wedges.