PDA

View Full Version : Another router insert in table saw question.

Wayne Jolly
03-18-2012, 6:01 PM
I have recently acquired a 1996 PM66 table saw and I am considering putting a router table insert in the extension table. Then I got to thinking (ouch ouch) that may be I don't want to do that and started trying to come up with a good alternative. I have a couple of options.

1. Go ahead and put it in the table saw extension table. I already have the table built and I am just waiting for some Formica to top it with. I have already cut the hole for the router plate but I have not yet routed the recess for the plate. It is still not too late to get a new piece of wood for the top and laminate the whole thing in one nice black Formica surface.

2. Build a separate dedicated router table. I can certainly do that, but space is somewhat limited. My shop is a 3-car garage that is shared with household storage, but I could make room.

3. Then I started thinking that I could put it in the table saw out-feed table. That would be a nice big work area when using the router. There are a couple of glaring problems with this in that the out-feed table I am considering would be a drop down table on the back of the saw. It will measure approximately 34" deep and 60" wide (maybe more, maybe less), hinged along the saw fence rails, and have fold down adjustable outboard legs. I would not be able to leave the router in place when the table was down, but I think it would still work for me. Also I might still have to remove the router when using the saw for some cuts depending on the router placement, but I could leave it in place for most things that I do. Then there is another advantage. If I did make the out-feed table that large, I could put in two (set dream mode on) or even three routers (set dream mode off). How kool would that be?!?!? :cool:

But before I decide to put it in the out-feed table I thought I would ask all you experts about this. Some of you must have done this already and either love it or hate it. But whether you have done this or not, am I missing something? What else should I consider?

Thanks,

Wayne

Van Huskey
03-18-2012, 6:05 PM
The biggest problem I see with the router in the fold down extension table (besides the minor issue of pulling the router to drop the table) is the difficulty in setting up good under table dust control for the router. I imagine you could build a quick release box etc but for me that really makes it a non-starter. In your situation I would put it in the table extension.

Cary Falk
03-19-2012, 12:43 AM
I would go with a stand alone router table. It doesn't have to be elaborate. I have a home made bench top one. that I can store. I don't like combination tools. It never fails that have was through a project I have to go back and redo something. If I hade it in the table saw I would more than likely have to re set everything up. In my opinion, one in the outfeed table woudl be even worse then in the extension wing. One in the outfeed table would always be in my way. One in the extension would only be in the way if I had to do a large rip unless they share a fence.

Don Jarvie
03-19-2012, 1:55 PM
I have mine in the extension table and it works great. I use my Bies fence along with a homemade fence attached to the Bies.

Bill White
03-19-2012, 1:56 PM
I've struggled with this issue for a while. Finally decided to use my existing free-standing router setup. Just give me more flex in the shop.
Bill