PDA

View Full Version : Pine bowl

David Starks
03-18-2012, 5:40 PM
Couple pics of a bowl i made last nite from dead pine tree i took out of my cousins back yard. Im taking it to her but she doesnt know it! :eek: :D

Its about 11 inches diameter at the top and about 5 deep. I finished it with beesoil so she can put in on the counter and use it for fruit or something.

Tree was killed by pine wilt hence the blue streaking in the wood.

Baxter Smith
03-18-2012, 6:08 PM
Nice work David! Nothing better than a bowl from your own yard!

Ted Calver
03-18-2012, 6:25 PM
She's really going to enjoy this bowl...and I'll bet she is pleasantly surprised. Great job!

Curt Fuller
03-18-2012, 6:29 PM
Mmmmmmmm, that's a nice bowl! I love the color and grain in pine. Your cousin should be tickled pink.

Allan Ferguson
03-18-2012, 6:50 PM
Looks like you have made a big leap. Very nice work, pretty bowl.

David Starks
03-18-2012, 7:07 PM
Thanks guys. I just got home from taking it to her and she was definately surprised, even brought a tear to her eye. While the tree had no sentimental value, she hated to see it die.

That will be one advantage to the day to day work i do, being able to bring back peices to homeowners of thier trees yet in a different form.

Jim Burr
03-18-2012, 7:26 PM
Nice David!! Grain and coloring really make some usually blah wood look fancy!

John Keeton
03-18-2012, 7:34 PM
Nice form to the bowl, David, and I kind of like the blue streaking - seems to add something to the character.

Thomas Canfield
03-18-2012, 8:25 PM
Nicely done. I turned some dead pine in the past that had been killed by pine borers and had a bunch of worm holes, but I did not see any here. Your finish looks good and they do make nice fruit bowls which was what mine ended up being used by my DIL.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Nice bowl and the wood grain really looks good.

Roger Chandler
03-19-2012, 7:39 AM
Nice one David.........did Keller give you some lessons? You did good........looks like the vortex is spinning pretty well with you!

Steve Schlumpf
03-19-2012, 9:56 AM
Very nice looking bowl David! I am sure your cousin will love it!

Mike Cruz
03-19-2012, 1:14 PM
That's a nic pine bowl, David. Shame that you don't have any nicer wood to turn than pine...

David Starks
03-19-2012, 1:38 PM
That's a nic pine bowl, David. Shame that you don't have any nicer wood to turn than pine...

You been talking to Keller? He said about the same thing.

Ive got plenty nicer, just making a momento piece.

Mike Cruz
03-19-2012, 1:44 PM
Well, I was refering to the package coming your way, but now that you mention it...:D I can only imagine the gumming up and sap gunk on everything. But I fully understand that you wanted to make this for her as a momento piece. Just make sure that the next tree that comes down in anyone you know's yard is NOT pine... ;) You are a better man than I for doing turning this for your cousin. I'm sure she'll love it.

David Starks
03-19-2012, 1:49 PM
The tree was dead from pine wilt. The nematode that kills the tree robs it of all sap so it was dry to start with. Id never turn wettish pine, they suck just cutting them down, so i cant imagine turning one. I do have too tho a burl on a piece of white cedar. It is green but waxed in the shop. I'm waiting for a long time to turn that one.

David E Keller
03-19-2012, 2:15 PM
Nice work, Starks. I've spent the last hour or so cleaning pine sap of my bandsaw blade and tires, so I agree with Cruz... No more pine! I'm even thinking of hanging a 'No Pine' sign on the outside of my shop!;-). Your bowl turning is coming along nicely... Looking forward to seeing some of that elm burl we cut after it comes off your lathe!

Mike Cruz
03-19-2012, 2:36 PM
I really like the shape of the bowl. I think the walls could be thinner, but that is my preference. Some people like thicker walls.

Dane Fuller
03-19-2012, 6:00 PM
Nice work, Starks. I've spent the last hour or so cleaning pine sap of my bandsaw blade and tires, so I agree with Cruz... No more pine! I'm even thinking of hanging a 'No Pine' sign on the outside of my shop!;-). Your bowl turning is coming along nicely... Looking forward to seeing some of that elm burl we cut after it comes off your lathe!

So this is the culprit, Keller?

David Starks,
The bowl looks great and I like the blue streaks. They just add to it. The walls could be thinner but that's just a taste thing. The way Keller carried on about this thing, I thought it would just be a glob of pine tar. You did good!

David Starks
03-19-2012, 6:25 PM
I think im gonna take a load (and i mean a LOAD) nice, green, sappy, sticky, gooey pine stuff to the middle house on the west side of hayes street just for my buddy Dr. K. Ill even be nice and back right up to the shop door so he doesnt have to go far to get it.

Thanks again for the kind words. the top walls of the bowl are about 3/4" and actually drop in size about 1 1/2" into the bowl and keep that size (whoops). You really cant tell unless you pick it up and feel for the size drop, kind of a reverse lip.

Dane Fuller
03-19-2012, 7:31 PM
I think im gonna take a load (and i mean a LOAD) nice, green, sappy, sticky, gooey pine stuff to the middle house on the west side of hayes street just for my buddy Dr. K. Ill even be nice and back right up to the shop door so he doesnt have to go far to get it. ...

HAHA! Can you imagine the fussin' and carryin' on? No matter how many nice things you did for him after that; he'd never let you forget it.