PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor bench

kevin nee
03-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Hello, I have a neighbor that has asked me to replace the slats on his
steel end patk bench. He is a good neighbor and I have to do it. I know
mahogany would be a great choice. I have Oak, Maple and Butternut on
hand. I do not want to buy stock as this is a favor. Does anyone have
any experience or opinion which would work best on an Outdoor Bench.
I plan to use Boiled linseed Oil for a finish. Opinions here too.
I tried to talk him into buying another cheap one. (around $70 ) But he
wants me to do it. Someone told him about a beautiful one that I did
for a niece as a house warming gift. That one was a seven footer and
took days to complete an I really wanted to do it.
Thank you in advance, Kevin

Gary Max
03-18-2012, 12:00 PM
I would go with the Oak-----I have a antique swing that is slatted with oak.
If it's keep out of the rain it will last a long time

kevin nee
03-18-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Gary but this will be out in the yard probally not cared for.

kevin nee
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Update I also have enough ASH to do this project. If that is any better

John TenEyck
03-18-2012, 12:41 PM
White oak will be OK outside, red oak will not. Maple won't last for nothin', nor will ash. Can't say about butternut, but my guess is that it's not durable. Boiled linseed oil is about as good as nothing at all. If the owner's not prepared to maintain a finish it would be better to use nothing and just let it grey - assuming you use white oak. The most durable outdoor finish is paint, second best is marine varnish (like Epifanes, which costs almost $50/quart). If you just want to put something on it to make it look pretty when you give it to him, tung oil is probably the best. Won't last long though.

John

Jim Matthews
03-18-2012, 4:15 PM
I just built a garden bench using cast offs from a decking supply.

Decking materials are selected for the durability in year around exposure.
Ipe (ee-PAY) crosscuts well and can be planed down to a very smooth finish.

I'm with the previous posters, none of the species you've mentioned will last long in the elements.

Roger Feeley
03-18-2012, 4:33 PM
I agree with John. The difference between the two oaks is that red oak is like a bundle of straws. You can cut a piece about an inch long and literally blow through it. White oak is more like kids balloons. I don't know why and I couldn't remember which is which. Thanks for John for a better memory than mine.

Roger Feeley
03-18-2012, 4:35 PM
Too bad the guy doesn't want to spring for materials. TREX would be a good option if the span isn't too long. I used that stuff on a little stairway out to my back patio. It still looks brand new.

Von Bickley
03-18-2012, 5:31 PM
White oak will work well.....

Sam Murdoch
03-18-2012, 5:41 PM
I agree with John. The difference between the two oaks is that red oak is like a bundle of straws. You can cut a piece about an inch long and literally blow through it. White oak is more like kids balloons. I don't know why and I couldn't remember which is which. Thanks for John for a better memory than mine.

Right - red oak has a tubular grain structure which allows water to penetrate from one end of the board very easily, in any case if red oak is all you have it is preferable to the other choices mentioned. (We don't know yet if Kevin has red or white oak.) You can leave the wood untreated if it won't be cared for otherwise BUT AT THE VERY LEAST you will need to seal the end grain of each board - until saturated (at least 2 applications) - with epoxy and set the planks onto the steel frame with a marine bedding compound. Anything less, you are just throwing your time and material away for maybe 2 seasons worth of use - less if the bench will be kept out doors year round.