PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Clear glue photo to acrylic - possible?

Allan Wright
03-18-2012, 10:07 AM
I would like to use my ink-jet printer to print some images (call them photos for the purpose of this discussion) onto photo quality paper. I would then like to adhere the photo to clear acrylic sheet in a way that the photo side is attached to the acrylic sheet and can be seen THROUGH the acrylic. I would then like to cut the sandwich out with the laser. These will be used as tokens in a game.

Is there a way to glue the photo to the acrylic without seeing the adhesive?

Second question - anyone have any experience with what brands of photo paper laser cut the best?

thanks in advance,
Allan

Mike Null
03-18-2012, 11:34 AM
I'm not aware of a way to do what you want but there is another way and that's to use MagicTouch 8.1 transfer paper to print the images then heat transfer that to the acrylic. Then trim with an Exacto.

Martin Boekers
03-18-2012, 1:07 PM
There are a variety of ways to do that most from the graphics field and not Awards and Recognitions
territory. Check locally for a company that provides graphic mounting and trade show graphics. You can
also check with a photo shop as they would know who can do this.

Coda, MacTac and others make an optically clear double sided adhesive. (you may be able to get some
sample sheets from them or find out who they recommend in your local) This will do what you want.

www.mountingphotos.net/acrylicplexiglas/acrylic-photo-mounting/ (http://www.mountingphotos.net/acrylicplexiglas/acrylic-photo-mounting/)

You may want to try waterslide decal material too. You will have to spray a protectant coat on this.

Check with a local plexi provider they may be able to help.

Next issue is the registration.

If you are set up for Dye Sub, (although it isn't clear) I use a hardboard stock, .125" from Conde or Johnson Plastics.
I love this stuff as it can be laser cut to shapes and size an then sublimated.

Check these guys out as they have a variety of media.

www.papilio.com/spray%20clear%20aerosol%20adhesive.html (http://www.papilio.com/spray%20clear%20aerosol%20adhesive.html)

I am sure that there is a UV cured glue that will do the same.

Lee DeRaud
03-18-2012, 1:26 PM
Second question - anyone have any experience with what brands of photo paper laser cut the best?I can't help with the adhesive question, but I suspect that with the settings required to get through the acrylic, how well the paper laser-cuts by itself really isn't an issue.

And seeing what happens to the transfer paper I use to protect the acrylic in normal use, I'm not sure you'll be happy with the results.

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2012, 2:04 PM
The best method is to print a reverse image on clear adhesive poly (vinyl-like) film. Any sign shop with a large format printer does this all the time for backlit signs and displays where protection of the image is needed. You can do it on a color laser or even inkjet if you apply vinyl to protect the ink after applying to the acrylic and laser cutting. I have no idea where I got it but there is a clear adhesive poly film available in 8.5" x 11" for inkjets and for laser printers.The problem is not being able to print white, for those cases I leave the white areas clear and apply white vinyl to protect and also provide the white background. The adhesive on vinyl film is not visible when applied correctly.

Like this stuff, though it doesn't say if vinyl or poly. You need poly to laser cut.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=clear+inkjet+adhesive+film&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1143&bih=544&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5648820388877424670&sa=X&ei=RiNmT_iqKoLUiAL9vcSiDw&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

Martin Boekers
03-18-2012, 5:00 PM
The best method is to print a reverse image on clear adhesive poly (vinyl-like) film. Any sign shop with a large format printer does this all the time for backlit signs and displays where protection of the image is needed. You can do it on a color laser or even inkjet if you apply vinyl to protect the ink after applying to the acrylic and laser cutting. I have no idea where I got it but there is a clear adhesive poly film available in 8.5" x 11" for inkjets and for laser printers.The problem is not being able to print white, for those cases I leave the white areas clear and apply white vinyl to protect and also provide the white background. The adhesive on vinyl film is not visible when applied correctly.

Like this stuff, though it doesn't say if vinyl or poly. You need poly to laser cut.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=clear+inkjet+adhesive+film&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1143&bih=544&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=5648820388877424670&sa=X&ei=RiNmT_iqKoLUiAL9vcSiDw&ved=0CHMQ8wIwAA

Joe, have you used this material? If so how does it compare to the "Chroma Crystal" UV method?
This may be an easy answer many have been looking for to find something to compete cheaply
with the crystal method, sublicrylic, UV printers American Acrylic ADAPT, Magic Touch or AcryliPrint.

Let me know if you had decent succes with this. I may get a pack just to play with!

Marty

Allan Wright
03-18-2012, 8:22 PM
You may want to try waterslide decal material too. You will have to spray a protectant coat on this.

This is a brilliant suggestion. I've made my own water-slide decals before so this process is familiar to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

All I have to do is work out how to register the artwork on the acrylic so when I cut it out things work out correctly. I think I have some ideas about how to do that.

Thanks for your help.

Martin Boekers
03-18-2012, 9:53 PM
This is a brilliant suggestion. I've made my own water-slide decals before so this process is familiar to me. Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for your help.

All I have to do is work out how to register the artwork on the acrylic so when I cut it out things work out correctly. I think I have some ideas about how to do that.

One thing about waterslide is I believe they make it with a white base also. If you haven't used it lately it's much better now
and easier to work with.

How many are you doing?

Joe Pelonio
03-18-2012, 10:07 PM
Joe, have you used this material? If so how does it compare to the "Chroma Crystal" UV method?
This may be an easy answer many have been looking for to find something to compete cheaply
with the crystal method, sublicrylic, UV printers American Acrylic ADAPT, Magic Touch or AcryliPrint.

Let me know if you had decent succes with this. I may get a pack just to play with!

Marty

I have done it a lot, mostly in large quantities having it printed by a business associate on a large format, but also have done some including logos for a professional basketball team lockers using the 8.5x11 inkjet. It would not hold up outdoors
but was fine for them. I just don't remember where I got the film. Here is a couple of them that should work. By the price if memory serves it might have been the first one.

http://www.mcgpaper.com/clearsticker.html

http://www.papilio.com/hewlett%20packard%20clear%20adhesive%20poly%20film .html

http://www.justaddcolors.com/inkjet_glossy_adhesive_clear_vinyl.html