PDA

View Full Version : Disc, pumpkin seed flask type vase

Curt Fuller
03-18-2012, 1:29 AM
This is a pumpkin seed flask shaped vase, actually just a weed pot (not hollow). It does hold a 5" glass tube though. The wood on the side I photo's is OK but the other side is plain as plain. This is turned on 2 axises (sp?) going back and forth between them and between a chuck mounting and between centers mounting several times. Then a lot of sanding. It's about 7.25 round, 2.5" thick. Maple with a walnut Christmas ornament glue up scrap for the little spout. The spout isn't glued in so I might do something different with it. I also tried using a black background for the photo for the first time. What do ya think?

Kathy Marshall
03-18-2012, 1:51 AM
Very cool Curt! I love the dark splash on the face. I also like the black background with this piece. I think you should be very happy with this one.

John Keeton
03-18-2012, 6:28 AM
Curt, this is really unique - at least, I have not seen anything similar. The feather and dark area on the "front" side is beautiful! I like the look a lot - very balanced, and the recess at the top for the spout adds a lot to the piece. Are the edges contoured somewhat? Hard to tell from the pic.

The black background works great for this piece. I will need to try that for some of my lighter colored work - what did you use?

Michelle Rich
03-18-2012, 7:55 AM
Like it lots..flasks were a big turning thing about 10-15 yrs ago, and then disappeared . You might start a trend. This is quite attractive with the shape & color variation.

Doug W Swanson
03-18-2012, 9:01 AM
Great job on this Curt! I love the form and the clean edges really make it stand out....

Pete Jordan
03-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Wonderful Curt!

Love everything about it!

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Looks pretty good to me Curt! I like the crisp edges and would keep the little spout - unless you have a single rose that you need the test tube for! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2012, 10:32 AM
Beauty Curt. Love the form and the wood contrast on the front.

Ted Calver
03-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Very nice Curt. The black background works too.

Roger Chandler
03-18-2012, 1:45 PM
Very innovative Curt..........nice form!

James Combs
03-18-2012, 1:54 PM
Very unique as far as I am concerned Curt. Really love the wood with its feathering and darker wood. I would also keep the spout as is. Thanks for posting. Really love uniqueness.

David DeCristoforo
03-18-2012, 3:23 PM
I just flat like this, Curt. It might be a much better piece than you realize. The shape or "form" as we like to say, is not only unique but extremely pleasing. I especially like the way the "spout" is bracketed by the cutout at the top. "Not hollow" but it could be made so using a "clamshell" technique. That would add the challenge of a glue line on the edge but there are many ways to deal with that. The way the feather and the dark inclusion counterpoint each other keeps my eye going around and around the form. It really works. I hope you plan to explore this further.

Bill Wyko
03-18-2012, 3:25 PM
Curt, every time I see your name on a post I Know it's gonna be good. This is no exception, you've done a fantastic job on the wood choice, form and finish. Well done my friend.