PDA

View Full Version : Thank You Bowl in Maple

Ted Calver
03-17-2012, 10:34 PM
A neighbor landscaped his yard last year and gifted me with some nice oak firewood and one maple. This is a thank you bowl. Maple, 10.75"d x 5"h, Mahoney's Utility (Walnut Oil) finish and my own Mahoney's and beeswax concoction. C&C always welcome.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-17-2012, 11:21 PM
That wood is beautiful Ted; further, I like the overall shape and the foot. What I'm not a full "buy-in" on is the large rim. I know with an earlier one you mentioned it was for arthritic hands - something I'll certainly grow into :mad::mad:, but not yet:D:D. I think pulling that rim up to about a third it's size, or off altogether would look better - to me. However, we all know the "eye of the beholder" adage.

Another will love that large rim.

Keep up the good work!

John Keeton
03-18-2012, 6:20 AM
Looks like silver maple - loads of character. Nice work on the curves, but I agree with Jeff on the rim.

Michelle Rich
03-18-2012, 7:57 AM
great gift!

Doug W Swanson
03-18-2012, 9:04 AM
Beautiful bowl!

What's your walnut oil/beeswax concoction recipe? Or is it proprietary?:)

Ted Calver
03-18-2012, 10:35 AM
Beautiful bowl!

What's your walnut oil/beeswax concoction recipe? Or is it proprietary?:)

Doug,
Not proprietary at all...here's an extract from the handout that goes with my bowls:
• Once every few months, or whenever the wood looks really dry, reapply a revitalization cream made by carefully warming four parts (by volume) Mahoney’s Utility Finish (Polymerized Walnut Oil (available from Woodcraft)), and one part beeswax in a wide mouth glass container in the microwave or double boiler until the beeswax melts. Stir and let cool. A thin coat of the resulting paste buffed in with a soft cloth will keep your bowl looking good and help repel moisture. With proper care it will last for generations…pass it along.

Steve Schlumpf
03-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Sure is some beautiful wood! Your neighbor is going to love the gift!! Nice work!

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Really nice Ted. He is going to love it for sure. Wood is outstanding.