PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Wood I.D.

Deane Allinson
03-17-2012, 7:15 PM
We got in several bundles of African Mahogany (Khaya) at work. One of the bundles had a black & white skid runner as part of the banding. I snagged it, about 3" x 3" x 4' long. The Khaya was stenciled from Ghana. Any thoughts on the species or just another mystery wood. It is really dense. I cut a chunk off the end and sanded it.
Deane

Bill Rogers
03-17-2012, 7:42 PM
I am just making a SWAG, and also because I have been working with some lately, but it might be either Wenge or Pango Pango. Are there large noticeable pores in the end grain?

Steve Vaughan
03-17-2012, 7:59 PM
Should make something really nice, whatever it is. It's purdy stuff!

Harvey Ghesser
03-17-2012, 7:59 PM
Not sure what it is, Deane, but if you send it to me and I'll "work on it"...:D:D

Deane Allinson
03-17-2012, 8:14 PM
I am just making a SWAG, and also because I have been working with some lately, but it might be either Wenge or Pango Pango. Are there large noticeable pores in the end grain?

I looked both up on on the wood-data base. the pango pango (or panga) is very close but there aren't open pores on the end grain.
Deane

Curt Fuller
03-17-2012, 8:21 PM
I's second the Wenge guess. I've never seen a piece of Wenge with the sapwood still on it but the darker wood looks just like any Wenge I've ever turned.

Jason Silva
03-17-2012, 8:24 PM
I second the Wenge vote.

Jamie Donaldson
03-17-2012, 10:55 PM
I don't believe it's dark enough for Wenge, and the open pores in the end grain don't match Wenge either? I had a similar appearing skid from a mahogany shipment about 2 yrs. ago, and it smelled so bad I was almost afraid to burn it! The second it touched the bandsaw blade I had to open the shop doors to air it out, and it was such great looking wood for end grain boxes that it broke my Scottish heart to not be able to turn it!

Jerry Lawrence
03-18-2012, 12:43 AM
My vote would be wenge also. I've seen lots of wenge that looks just like that, sometimes even lighter. My ultimate test for wenge is how many splinters did you get when handling it? I get slivers from the stuff just walking by it!

Damon Stathatos
03-18-2012, 12:53 AM
...My ultimate test for wenge is how many splinters did you get when handling it? I get slivers from the stuff just walking by it!

Final test...try sanding it smooth...take forever...still feel the ripples?...it's Wenge.

Bill Bulloch
03-18-2012, 9:16 AM
My guess is "Okoume". Although the heartwood in this piece looks a little darker than I would expect. Try sanding it and see if the heartwood is sort-of Salmon Pink and the sap wood is Whitish or pale Grey. What ever it is, though, take precaucations when turning it. I turned an unknown pieces that came as a pallet banding from South America and it swelled me up like a blow fish.

thomas prusak
03-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Black palm ?