PDA

View Full Version : Mounting Wixey DRO on Jet 16-32 Sander

Anthony Whitesell
03-17-2012, 2:48 PM
I've searched the web and the 'Creek for photos and links to photos for mounting a Wixey DRO on the Jet 16-32 Sander with the smart sand function. I acquired the gauge years back on close out and I'm just now looking to install it. All the links and photos I found are older. Anyone have anything newer they would like to post? I'm in need of some ideas. Right now I have three ideas:

1) mount it over the belt as one of the photos show - I don't think so. To use the full width, I need to be able to feed it right against the smart sand box.

2) mount it on the back - very doable, but it is on the back.

3) mount it on the front but to the right of the box. This would either make the arm really long or have to wrap around behind the gauge.

Either #2 or 3 are possible but I'm hoping someone has something better. If I knew then what I know know, I'd do a remote mount style with the sensor in the back and the gauge in the front. Too late. I already have this one.

Thanks for you help in advance.

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 2:53 PM
I assume you found the ones on the Wixey site.

Anthony Whitesell
03-17-2012, 5:25 PM
I assume you found the ones on the Wixey site.

Yep. Saw those. Only really two options there, on the belt or on the back.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2012, 7:07 PM
I had a thread about this (only I asked about the more reliable iGaging units.) Someone posted a couple photos of the Supermax 19-38 with a readout that looks identical to the iGaging that's available from Supermax and the mounting brackets they use. I'm planning to go that way. And maybe I'll have some time that a fairly major home project is now done.

Dick Mahany
03-17-2012, 9:21 PM
Yep, check out Matt's recent thread. I posted pics of the one I installed on my 22-44, but saw a subsequent post on that thread of a mounting arrangement I may like better, than my original.

Anthony Whitesell
03-17-2012, 10:11 PM
I saw both posts. At first I didn't think either applied as neither DRO (yours or William Rogers on the SuperMax) are built like the Wixey. William Rogers isn't applicable because his and the Wixey (and iGaging) don't work like that one. William's SuperMax DRO (appears to) work by moving the ruler portion and holding the display steady, where as the iGaging and Wixey, move the display while holding the ruler steady. Thinking about the setup of the Wixey, though the instructions have you align the bottom plate with the feed surface, there's nothing to say that's a must. I'll see how high the wixey sticks up if I mount it like yours, Dick. The last thing I need it for it to stick too far up then get hit and bent.

Jeff Lapin
06-05-2012, 5:17 PM

Take a look at how I installed the Wixey remote planer digital device. This is a photo of the outfeed side with the indexing arm attached to the drum head and the tape mounted to the carriage. On the infeed side is the read out head, connected by a CAT 5 cable.

I had to fashion an extension piece to stretch the arm on the outfeed reader to connect it all up but once I figured it out, install was easy.

write to me at jlapin@coastalpartners.net if you want more photos.

William C Rogers
06-06-2012, 8:19 PM
Anthony

You are correct. The DRO on the Supermax moves the scale while the head is stationary.

Bill