PDA

View Full Version : Rough gouge or spindle gouge? Size?

Scott M Perry
03-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Hi, all -

I'm upgrading some lathe tools, and need a roughing gouge. Packard offers a spindle gouge (http://www.packardwoodworks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=packard&Category_Code=tools-pkrd-gsg), though, that might be able to do double duty for me. I'm going to be turning mainly Windsor legs, so I'm wondering what the most useful size compromise would be. I was set on a 1-1/4" roughing gouge, but when looking at the spindle gouges, don't know if that would be useful at all for legs. But if I go down to a 1" spindle gouge, would that be useful at all for roughing?

Help!
Scott

Dennis Ford
03-17-2012, 12:34 PM
I would choose the roughing gouge over a 1" spindle gouge. Some may disagree, it is certainly possible to turn the legs without either but I could do them quicker with a roughing gouge than I could without a roughing gouge.

Scott M Perry
03-17-2012, 12:42 PM
Can you turn smooth tapers with a roughing gouge? I've never used one.

Jamie Donaldson
03-17-2012, 1:28 PM
Can you turn smooth tapers with a roughing gouge? I've never used one.

A spindle roughing gouge will turn tapers very well, but I would also(and actually do) consider a 1/2" spindle gouge to be a necessary companion tool. The roughing gouge will remove masses of wood, plane like a skew, but cannot turn fine details like beads and coves as well as a spindle gouge. I really like my Thompson 1/2" detail gouge moreso than just a spindle gouge of the same size, because I can hang the thicker shaft further off the toolrest for multi-axis work that a thinner spindle gouge cannot accomplish.

Scott M Perry
03-17-2012, 1:35 PM
Jamie, I was looking to get a 3/8" detail gouge from Packard for coves and such on legs. Do you think 1/2" is more useful?

Jamie Donaldson
03-17-2012, 1:44 PM
Be careful about listed sizes, because the "foreign" companies size gouges by flute width, and USA sellers mostly use diameter of the tool steel. I use the USA designations, so a 1/2" gouge has a 3/8" flute width, and anything smaller is for turning miniatures.

Scott M Perry
03-17-2012, 1:46 PM
Good tip, Jamie. Packard lists by diameter of the steel, not the flute. I'll go with 1/2".

Jamie Donaldson
03-17-2012, 1:49 PM
Good tip, Jamie. Packard lists by diameter of the steel, not the flute. I'll go with 1/2".

Excellent choice, and learn to keep it sharp with your Wolverine jig!