PDA

View Full Version : Track saw - Festool or Makita?

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-17-2012, 11:01 AM
OK... I just read through the entire thread with the same question from last November - awesome information.

Although I have wanted one for a while, I am pulling the trigger for my wife. She has a periodic need to cut sheet goods for her sewing business, but the idea of her using the table saw gives me nightmares. (Most of the time I am available - but not always)

There was only one issue I did not see addressed in the thread. Basically I am looking for the safest saw with best DC as both seem to be the same in quality. As of now I am leaning towards the Festool simply for local dealer support (the riving knife is nice but not a deal maker). However, what keeps me coming back to the Makita is the tab that keeps the saw from tipping. My wife will only be doing 90 degree cuts so not sure if this is needed.

As a note (for the time being) I do not currently own any green tools so compatibility is not in the decision making, nor is resale. Thanks.

Jay Jolliffe
03-17-2012, 11:20 AM
I have no experience with the Makita but I do have the Festool. It works great. No mess using the vac , it's safe to use. I bought it to cut birch plywood for bookcases. It cross cuts with hardly any chip out. Use the tracks it cuts nice & straight. I had to make about 100' of bookcases in a house & that's why I bought it.....

Mike Henderson
03-17-2012, 12:21 PM
I had a demonstration of the Festool track saw but have not used the Makita. The advantage I see to the Festool is that it's part of a system. That is, the tracks and other pieces can be used with other Festool tools, such as the router. The disadvantage of the Festool is that all the accessories you need (or want) to go with the tool are expensive - very expensive, in my opinion. Also, supplies, such as saw blades, have to be Festool - so once you buy into the system, you become an annuity to the company.

But I was impressed by the quality of the Festool tools and the thought that goes into them, especially for dust collection.

I have a Domino and use a Ridgid vac on it and it works fine, so you probably don't need to buy the Festool vac for the saw. You will probably need to get a Festool hose to hook the shop vac to the tool. They come in 27mm and 35mm (if I remember correctly) and they're not inexpensive. I bought a 27mm for my Domino and it retailed for about $105.

Mike

[I had the opportunity in February to take a two day training class on most of the Festool products (from 8am to past 5pm each day, with lunch in). It was held in Henderson, NV and taught by one of the Festool trainers. Two days was just enough to get an introduction to the tools, and not to become expert on them. And a few of the tools were not even covered.]

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 12:35 PM
Tipping won't be an issues especially if everything is cut 90*.

You negated some fo the benefits like resell and riving knife etc, but I would still buy the Festool just because you know it will be supported for years and years to and say 10 years from now you need a new one, with Festool chances are high the new one will work perfectly on your rails etc, not so sure about the Dewalt or the Makita.

Peter Kelly
03-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Festool saws are great but I'd get the Makita if I didn't already own a TS75. The build quality of the Makita is as good as the TS55 and the price is significantly less.

Ray Newman
03-17-2012, 1:15 PM
Since this tool is for your wife's use, I suggest that you visit the tool supplier(s) that has the Fe$tool and the Makita. This will give her the opportunity to handle both and let her decide. One may fit her hand better than the other; or, may have the on/off switch and other controls easier to operate and adjust.

As an aside, I have the Fe$tool TS and it is very accurate with outstanding dust collection. I have not seen or examined the Makita or other track saw, so I can not comment on them.

Neil Brooks
03-17-2012, 1:20 PM
Buy once, cry once.
Festool.

And that's from a guy on month two with his DeWalt. Couldn't scrape together the extra $$$, and got a screaming deal on the DeWalt.

Otherwise, I think I would have taken my first sip of the green Kool-Aid ;)

Jeff Monson
03-17-2012, 2:06 PM
Buy Festool, the system is very easy to expand down the road. Festool products work well and work well together. Never know maybe her sowing hobby will take a turn once she gets a taste of the Festool stuff.

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 2:13 PM
Buy Festool, the system is very easy to expand down the road. Festool products work well and work well together. Never know maybe her sowing hobby will take a turn once she gets a taste of the Festool stuff.

I hope my wife never becomes a woodworker, one she will be better than I am and two she will be better with one chisel and a #4 plane and will once and for all prove I didn't need all those machines!

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-17-2012, 3:10 PM

Trust me, this has already crossed my mind (her getting a taste for Festool stuff). To be honest with you... I won't complain.

Anyway, I have decided on the Festool. I actually like the riving knife now that I have think about it, but future product support is what really pushed me. I wanted to keep money local so I stopped by my WC - none in stock. They do not know when they will be in - they said maybe by the end of next week. I do not need it now so I think I will still purchase it through them. Buying online only saves me taxes.

Thanks.

Jim Matthews
03-17-2012, 3:21 PM
How often is this likely to be used?

If it's not a production line, a simple straight edge and decent circular saw will do.
A sharp blade in my Porter-Cable on a EZ-Smart is sufficient.

Either the Festool or Dewalt systems are pretty expensive is they just sit in a box...

jim
wpt, ma

Victor Robinson
03-17-2012, 5:41 PM
Was probably my thread from November you read?

Anyways, I went with the Festool. The only downside to this was after the purchase of the TS55, the systainers started multiplying. I was unaware they could do that. In the span of a few months, I ended up getting more Festools than I care to enumerate. Perhaps this won't be an issue with your wife who's not a woodworker, but as for you...

Victor Robinson
03-17-2012, 5:46 PM
Oh, forgot to mention - there is a new version of the TS55 called the TS55R now available for preorder in Europe. It is an incremental update (added capabilities include better flush-cutting or using it on its side). Unclear when it will hit the US. Usually UL certification delays Festools from hitting the US but in this case some have said the new TS won't require new UL certification. It's probably at least 6 months out and not worth waiting for. Of course, with the excellent resale you could always sell and buy if you really felt the need.

Victor Robinson
03-17-2012, 5:51 PM
For those interested...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n46hGBuS2vs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

john lawson
03-17-2012, 6:14 PM
I know you asked between a Festool and a Makita, but have you considered DeWalt?

The Woodwhisperer did a review and it was a toss up between Festool and DeWalt. It also made in Europe, has the riving knife and has a non reversing feature you can use or choose not to. Much cheaper than Festool, and it will also accept Porter Cable or DeWalt routers for dado (with the optional atachment). It's a great tool, I highly recommend it.

Here is a link to the review

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/dewalt-tracksaw-review/

james bell
03-17-2012, 6:28 PM
I have the festool ts55 but would probably purchase makita or dewalt now. I love my festool but not the 55mm arbor or whatever it is, the metric markings on the depth gauge and their nominclature for their tracks.

Having sold US products internationally and foreign product here, a company needs to fit their products to the market. These folks are arrogant, I am surprised the plug is a US model. BUT it does work extremely well and I have not used the other brands of track saws.

Matt Meiser
03-17-2012, 7:05 PM
Doubt that will happen. Metric is here to stay.

There are numerous aftermarket options for blades. I've tried an Oshlun that is pretty inexpensive and it still performs well.

Sam Murdoch
03-17-2012, 7:33 PM
Trust me, this has already crossed my mind (her getting a taste for Festool stuff). To be honest with you... I won't complain.

Anyway, I have decided on the Festool. I actually like the riving knife now that I have think about it, but future product support is what really pushed me. I wanted to keep money local so I stopped by my WC - none in stock. They do not know when they will be in - they said maybe by the end of next week. I do not need it now so I think I will still purchase it through them. Buying online only saves me taxes.

Thanks.

...and I don't think there is any better customer support system than from Festool and/or The Festool Owner's Group.

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-17-2012, 9:02 PM
How often is this likely to be used?

If it's not a production line, a simple straight edge and decent circular saw will do.
A sharp blade in my Porter-Cable on a EZ-Smart is sufficient.

Either the Festool or Dewalt systems are pretty expensive is they just sit in a box...

jim
wpt, ma

Originally I was going to do something similar - for myself. This big purchase, which I deemed a luxury for my shop, is for my wife. For me woodworking is a hobby but she makes money. Also, her shop is in the basement and ease of operation, excellent dust control and local support (WC) were the decision makers. However, I will probably use it more. :D

Cyrus Brewster 7
03-17-2012, 9:07 PM
I know you asked between a Festool and a Makita, but have you considered DeWalt?

The Woodwhisperer did a review and it was a toss up between Festool and DeWalt. It also made in Europe, has the riving knife and has a non reversing feature you can use or choose not to. Much cheaper than Festool, and it will also accept Porter Cable or DeWalt routers for dado (with the optional atachment). It's a great tool, I highly recommend it.

Here is a link to the review

http://www.thewoodwhisperer.com/videos/dewalt-tracksaw-review/

If I were to buy a track saw solely for myself, I would have no problem with the Dewalt. the price is right and accessories are cheaper.

However, I have read that the plunge mechanism can be a little awkward with one hand and wanted the learning curve to be minimal for my wife.

Cary Falk
03-17-2012, 9:40 PM
I bought the DeWalt because I got a great deal on it. I like the fact that you can get great sales on the DeWalt and its accessories I have seen enough reviews on the DeWalt to see it is good enough for my needs. I think it is better than the Makita. Between the Makita and the Festool I would get the Festool. With no sales I don't think the price difference is that much.

Steve Rosenlund
03-18-2012, 9:49 AM
Check out this comparison video review.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=090CZSQQohc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Keith Outten
03-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Geez, I am really getting old. Not one person recommended a vertical panel saw which is what I use to cut sheets.
Oh well, as long as I am woodworking there will be a panel saw and someone who hates the metric system :)
In keeping with the thread topic I do own an EZ Smart guide system that I use when I am away from my shop.

frank shic
03-18-2012, 10:22 AM
i'm still checking that web site on a daily basis, cary!

Alan Lightstone
03-18-2012, 12:33 PM
I chose the Festool. Not sure what the issue of tipping is. Never run across that. I also use the track extensively with my Festool router, so I agree with you buying into a system. And yes, the systainers just keep on coming. I think up to 8 at this point.

Oh and you don't need to use Festool saw blades. I use Freuds on mine. They have a pretty comprehensive line of properly sized blades at this point for the Festools. And the cuts on them have been superb. So much so, that I now use my TS55 plus track to cut perfect edges for veneer.

I almost always use it for sheet goods instead of my table saw. I just feel it's much safer to deal with sheet goods that way. Or first I'll cut the sheet goods down to manageable size with the Festool before doing final cuts with the table saw. Either way, it's part of my work flow with sheet goods and veneers.

Never tried the Dewalt or Makita.

Greg R Bradley
03-18-2012, 1:18 PM
Based upon your specification to exclude compatability and resale from the decision, then you are left with one huge difference between the two: The Makita is Blue-Green and comes in a Blue original style Systainer. The Festool is Dark Blue and comes in a Grey T-Lock style Systainer. If this "huge" difference is not important to you, then you probably want the Makita.

I have both units.

There is no need for Festool, Fein, etc. vac for a saw unless you want the auto-start and hose that fits exactly into the saw without an adapter. You can always just buy a Festool non-antistatic hose for a regular shop vac.

Anti-tip is a tiny bit better for cutting steep angles and irrelevant for 90 degree cuts. Festool has anti-splinter on both sides vs Makita on inside only.

If you are going to justify the extra money for Festool then it is going to be because you are going to use it and buy other items that work with it from Festool.

Matt Meiser
03-18-2012, 1:20 PM
I chose the Festool after monkeying around with a carpenter's skilsaw and rail. The system aspect is great but you can get started with nothing more than a saw and rail. I recently got a set of the parallel guides which I've heard whining about being a knockoff of another product, but that's simply not true as these are incredibly robust where the others I had flexed like crazy and were anything but repeatable. Like I said above there are options for blades. I've read complaints about joining 2 rails but I've found that if I simply line them up on the straight edge of an uncut sheet and tighten the connectors it works great.

The first time I used mine for a project I actually set up in my parent's front hall. I had very little mess to clean up. From what I've read, using a bigger hose is even better. I recently got one, but haven't tried it yet.

I too have never used the Dewalt or Makita, but last I looked (and its been a while) they really weren't that much less expensive and there weren't may system expansion options.

Stan Krupowies
03-18-2012, 2:41 PM
The only downside to this was after the purchase of the TS55, the systainers started multiplying. I was unaware they could do that. In the span of a few months, I ended up getting more Festools than I care to enumerate.

They do multiply like rabbits. I've even tried keeping them apart and they still manage to mate and expand their presence.