PDA

View Full Version : my edge sharpening

Paul Saffold
03-17-2012, 9:55 AM
I had been using the simple $10 clamp-on jig with the board to set the correct angle and then another setting to get a microbevel. (This method is most clearly shown on one of LN's youtube videos.) This has worked for me and was the first time I could get consistent results and I was happy to finally get edges really sharp.

I read on Steve Branam's blog, closegrain dot com, about another way to sharpen. The posting is under techniques, on the right column, and is "The Grimsdale Method". I read it and thought I'd give it a try someday. And then promptly forgot about it. Then when I went to the Woodworking show at Fredericksburg, VA and saw Paul Sellers sharpening this way I knew I had to try it. No jigs, no microbevel, and very quick. I use the same stones I've been using, so there was nothing to buy.

I use MDF with green compound (LeeValley) for my strop. No leather.

I'm happy to have evolved to jig-less sharpening without a hollow grind as many of you already do. I know this may not be for everyone,but you might want to give it a try.

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
03-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Do you use waterstones? Seems like that method would gouge them fairly easily.

Paul Saffold
03-17-2012, 1:41 PM
Yes, I use Nortons, 220 & 1000/4000, and Naniwa Super Stone 8000, then green compound on MDF for a strop. I use a push and pull stroke on the waterstones, but only a pull stroke when stropping.

Bruce Haugen
03-17-2012, 10:02 PM
The knife making crowd use a similar method, attributed to Bill Moran. It produces a long- lasting edge.

Michael Peet
03-17-2012, 11:26 PM
If it's what I'm thinking of, there was a thread on this a couple months ago, in case you missed it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?180689-Convex-Bevel-sharpening

Although I hollow grind and use a guide for honing, this idea did prompt me to strop more, from 4-5 strokes to 8-10, and it seems to have made a difference.

Mike

Paul Saffold
03-18-2012, 7:42 AM
Thanks Mike. I don't know how i missed that thread. I'm here almost every day. Paul