PDA

View Full Version : Turning for beginners

Michael Harrington
03-17-2012, 9:22 AM
Hey guys, I'm a virgin turner and I would like to know what books and videos would you recommend, preferably the latter. My immediate interest is in spindle work and eventually bowl, and vessel work. Thanks

Harvey Ghesser
03-17-2012, 9:26 AM
Hey guys, I'm a virgin turner and I would like to know what books and videos would you recommend, preferably the latter. My immediate interest is in spindle work and eventually bowl, and vessel work. Thanks

Michael, the usually recommended first video here is by Bill Grumbine entitled "Turned Bowls Made Easy". There are others but Bill and his sense of humor make this video very enjoyable.

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2012, 10:09 AM
Agree with the Bill Grumbine DVD and the book/DVD by Keith Rowley "Woodturning: A Foundation Course." Great for beginning turners.

Peter Blair
03-17-2012, 10:47 AM
Hey Michael.
Along with what has already been suggested I really got a lot of help from Bobham on Utube and of course "start to finish" here on the Creek

Michael Harrington
03-17-2012, 11:06 AM
Bernie and Harvey thank you very much for the helpful information. On a separate note: I met a guy at the shop about a month ago who is pulling old world growth lumber from the five largest rivers in Belize and is expanding to other countries. He brought a piece of mahogany and the density and grain of this wood was incredible. We just happen to be working on a full custom raise beaded sapele doors, and I cut a piece from our stock to the same dimensions as his O.W.G mahagony and the difference was starterling: the difference in density would be equivelant to a doug fur 2x4 and a 2x4 made from Ipe. Anyway, the guy's name is Richard Petty and his company can be found on the web at www.greenerlumber.com. He is a gentleman with a passion for wood, whose wife is a pen turner. He is coming to new York the week of March 24th and I'll be meeting with him to help expand a product that is environmentally friendly and the highest grade wood available. He'll be bringing up numerous samples, as well as some crotches. I'll keep everyone posted.

Reed Gray
03-17-2012, 11:14 AM
Another learning source, perhaps the best you could find is a local club. They have club listings on the AAW site. Mentors, demonstrations, get togethers, and of course, wood trading. There really is no substitute for being able to watch, and ask questions.

robo hippy

Michael Harrington
03-21-2012, 7:57 AM
Thanks Robo

David E Keller
03-21-2012, 8:21 AM
I love the Jimmy Clewes DVDs in addition to what's listed above... I think he's an excellent teacher, and most of the DVD is project based which I enjoy. The Lacer videos for skew work are hard to beat. Rattan is fun. I like Mahoney's style. Trent Bosch does some neat stuff with carving and texture. If you can swing it, buy 'em all... I don have a local club, so DVDs have been my mentors!

Steve Schlumpf
03-21-2012, 9:12 AM
I agree with Robo... a turning club will really help you! You don't list your location, so if you need help in finding a club, let us know. AAW Local Chapters (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp)