PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly H7654 8" Spiral Cutterhead

David Nelson1
03-17-2012, 6:45 AM
I upgrade the cutter head in my G0586 yesterday. I got a week ago or so and it had a damaged bearing. Grizzly promptly sent mea new one. I t came in yesterday so I pressed it on the shaft no muss no fuss. Then the questions started. I just
missed the tech support group since it was 6:10 when I decided to call.

My question is for those folks that have installed the replacement spiral head, was the bearing block opposite of the pulley pressed on to the bearing, or was it a loose fit?

I have installed it, no clearance issues went right in but the bearing is protruding from the block about an 1/8. When operated, I am also hearing what appearing to be bearing noise. Makes me a bit nervous so I'm not chancing anything right now. I have other things to do in the shop this weekend so I'll just fore go any use of that machine.

Dave

Daniel Berlin
03-17-2012, 2:26 PM
I upgrade the cutter head in my G0586 yesterday. I got a week ago or so and it had a damaged bearing. Grizzly promptly sent mea new one. I t came in yesterday so I pressed it on the shaft no muss no fuss. Then the questions started. I just
missed the tech support group since it was 6:10 when I decided to call.

My question is for those folks that have installed the replacement spiral head, was the bearing block opposite of the pulley pressed on to the bearing, or was it a loose fit?

I have installed it, no clearance issues went right in but the bearing is protruding from the block about an 1/8. When operated, I am also hearing what appearing to be bearing noise. Makes me a bit nervous so I'm not chancing anything right now. I have other things to do in the shop this weekend so I'll just fore go any use of that machine.

Dave

Can you take a picture of the protrusion?

I've replaced a bunch of grizzly cutterheads (though only on g0490's), and they fit quite tightly on both bearing blocks.
The bearing is also completely contained within the block on both sides.

Looking at the manual for the spiral cutterhead for the G0586 (http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h7654_m.pdf), it looks like it is pressed on as well.

Interestingly, on the original cutterhead, the bearings look the same size, but on the H7654, the bearings are different sizes on each side. One is a 6204, one is a 6205.
Are you sure they sent you the right bearing?
:)

David Nelson1
03-17-2012, 7:34 PM
No, I'm not sure they sent the correct ones, dimensionally they appeared the same, OD Id and thickness. The original manual for the planer shows the same bearings and blocks. I measured the bearing blocks and compare to the old head and the loose one, they all the same. So I would have to assume the bearings are the same it's just an indexing feature they use for the IPB? I going to assume they are pressed in as you suggested , but I'm not taking any action till I talk to Tech Support Monday.

BTW, of all the heads you have replaced where you able remove the bearing block by hand?

David Nelson1
03-17-2012, 8:16 PM
Here's the pics.

David Nelson1
03-18-2012, 3:42 PM
I couldn't leave well enough alone today so I started looking @ the jointer with the new spiral head and WHAM :eek: like a ton of bricks hit me in the head, the bearing cap is cracked. I went to the old cutter head and pulled the block off of it. Came off just pretty as you please. The bearing stayed on the shaft. Measured everything .0015 press fit. Removed the spiral cutter. This is getting easier every time I do it, pressed the cap on, reinserted the cutter, and assembled everything in about 30 minutes. Works like a champ!

If I had to guess, during assemble the cap or the bearing must have gotten cocked and split the cap. The outer race of the bearing was also damaged.

Outside of this little miss fire I'm pretty please with the cutter head. Quality of the drum was outstanding and as I said it installs very well. I used the original hardware that came with the jointer mainly because the washer that you torque against is much beefier.

I was surprised to find that it takes a bit more effort to move wood across the cutter!

Daniel Berlin
03-19-2012, 10:47 PM
No, I'm not sure they sent the correct ones, dimensionally they appeared the same, OD Id and thickness. The original manual for the planer shows the same bearings and blocks. I measured the bearing blocks and compare to the old head and the loose one, they all the same. So I would have to assume the bearings are the same it's just an indexing feature they use for the IPB? I going to assume they are pressed in as you suggested , but I'm not taking any action till I talk to Tech Support Monday.

BTW, of all the heads you have replaced where you able remove the bearing block by hand?

On all the heads I replaced, it took a hammer to replace them.

I agree the original head has bearings of the same size.
However, at least the the replacement indexable head they say fits yours has bearings of different sizes, take a look at the parts breakdown for the H7654 http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h7654_m.pdf (look at part number 10 and 12 for each head)

Anyway, it looks like you figured out the problem, so hope you are happy with the new head :)
And yeah, it does take more effort to push wood across.

David Nelson1
03-20-2012, 10:30 AM
On all the heads I replaced, it took a hammer to replace them.

I agree the original head has bearings of the same size.
However, at least the the replacement indexable head they say fits yours has bearings of different sizes, take a look at the parts breakdown for the H7654 http://cdn0.grizzly.com/manuals/h7654_m.pdf (look at part number 10 and 12 for each head)

Anyway, it looks like you figured out the problem, so hope you are happy with the new head :)
And yeah, it does take more effort to push wood across.

Hi Daniel,
I'm not going to split hairs with you on what a part number is or how it relates to a referenced data base. Both bearings on both cutters are the same size and are interchangeable. Industry has taken a stance to not identify interchangeability between products for instance a crankshaft for a certain motorcycle engine of same year will have a different part number from bike to bike. LOL Keeps em selling parts. Nuff said. Thanks for taking an interest.
Dave