PDA

View Full Version : Carob Bowl

Kathy Marshall
03-17-2012, 6:22 AM
When I was at the tree trimmers a couple weeks ago to pick up the big palm log (for chainsaw work), their crew had it loaded in my trailer (I dropped the trailer off the day before), but I needed something to wedge the palm log in place, as heavy as it was I thought it might just damage my trailer if it got to rolling around. So I started looking around the firewood pile, which was mostly just big pieces of pine, when I came across some carob logs. There were some big logs, but the centers were hollow and I really wasn't up to try wrangling any of them into the trailer, but I did find a medium sized log that was only hollow at the pith. It was easy enough to load up and was just the right size to wedge on one side of the palm log. I got a couple of small logs to wedge on the other side. All of them were checked on the ends but I thought I might be able to do something with the bigger piece.
A few days ago I cut up the log and and got 2 bowl blanks out of it, and this is the result of the 1st blank.
It's 9" x 3 1/4" with 2 coats of walnut oil (which it sucks up like a sponge). It turned very nice, comparable to green maple. I think I may try to core the center out of the 2nd blank to use for a small hf.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
03-17-2012, 6:51 AM
Kathy, you sure lucked into that one! Great bowl, and that wood really has some nice color. Your bunch of tree trimmers are a gold mine for you!!!

Kathy Marshall
03-17-2012, 7:14 AM
Thanks John, if I can get the center cored out of the other blank then I'll turn a hf for the tree trimmers.

Doug W Swanson
03-17-2012, 8:58 AM
I love the different colors in it. The edge treatment is one of my favorites, too!

Allan Ferguson
03-17-2012, 9:47 AM
Great colors.

Alan Trout
03-17-2012, 9:57 AM
Kathy,

It is amazing the different types of trees people brought to Phoenix to plant. You always come up with very interesting stuff. A beautiful bowl as well.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
03-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Really nice bowl Kathy. Love the rim and simple form. Really nice colored wood.

Steve Schlumpf
03-17-2012, 10:20 AM
Sure is some pretty wood! Should make for a wonderful hollow form! Love the colors!

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-17-2012, 7:41 PM
big palm log (for chainsaw work)
OK Kathy,
Now you've peaked my curiosity. By 'chainsaw work" are you saying you do chain saw carvings and if so, will we see you on Sawdogs anytime soon?? :)
faust

David DeCristoforo
03-17-2012, 8:15 PM
Beautiful! Great find. Sweet "simple" bowl that does a great job of showing off the beautiful wood. I know what you can do with "the bigger piece"... no wait... that doesn't sound right at all... never mind!

Kathy Marshall
03-17-2012, 8:21 PM
Thanks everyone! I've seen some other carob turnings by other club members and it's some pretty wood, more so than this piece. There are some big trees around town, mostly in the older neighborhoods, just hope some more becomes available soon.

Kathy,

It is amazing the different types of trees people brought to Phoenix to plant. You always come up with very interesting stuff. A beautiful bowl as well.

Alan
Thanks Alan, I'm pretty fortunate with the different variety of wood available here.

OK Kathy,
Now you've peaked my curiosity. By 'chainsaw work" are you saying you do chain saw carvings and if so, will we see you on Sawdogs anytime soon?? :)
faust
Faust, the palm log is the platform I use for cutting up logs and blanks. It's been working out great, no more bending over while cutting, but that's about the extent of my "chainsaw work".

Baxter Smith
03-17-2012, 10:10 PM
Another neat piece of wood Kathy! It seems like you are always coming up with something new. So how many different varieties do you think you have turned so far?

Kathy Marshall
03-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Another neat piece of wood Kathy! It seems like you are always coming up with something new. So how many different varieties do you think you have turned so far?
Hmmmm..... local woods
Mesquite
Acacia (several varieties)
Dalberghia Sissoo
Af Sumac
Eucalyptus (several varieties)
Peach
Almond
Pecan
Pistachio
Ash
Olive
AZ Walnut (from northern AZ)
Emory Oak (from northern AZ)
Cottonwood
Australian Bottletree
Carob
Pine
Arborvitae (cedar family)
Chinese elm

From around the county:
Walnut
Maple (curly, spalted, ambrosia, big leaf)
Butternut
Osage orange
Black ash burl
Siberian elm
Cherry
Water oak
Oak burl
Box elder
Yellow cedar
Birch
Sweet gum
Buckthorn

and assorted exotics.
Dang, that was a brain workout.

Michelle Rich
03-18-2012, 7:59 AM
aw geez, the wood is spectacular. What a beauty. I'm leaving the frozen north and heading to Arizona. Your wood there is fantastic.

Nate Davey
03-18-2012, 8:25 AM
Beautiful wood and a "simple" form to show it off. Why does Arizona have all that spectacular wood, and New Mexico, next door, doesn't?