PDA

View Full Version : Board joining (pt 2)

dougj1715
04-27-2003, 9:14 AM
Is it better to join all peices at the same time (3 boards 1X6) and clamp them up or is it better to join two of the three and then the third board later.

Also what is the typical curing time for wood glue?

After going out and spending all my money on the tools I over looked the obvious and am short on clamps ( this must be what is meant by "can't have too many clamps")so I am limited on the number of panels I can do at one time.

Is it obvious that I am new to this? I figured a question today will prevent a problem tomorrow.

Ken Salisbury
04-27-2003, 9:24 AM
Originally posted by dougj1715
Is it better to join all peices at the same time (3 boards 1X6) and clamp them up or is it better to join two of the three and then the third board later.

Also what is the typical curing time for wood glue?

After going out and spending all my money on the tools I over looked the obvious and am short on clamps ( this must be what is meant by "can't have too many clamps")so I am limited on the number of panels I can do at one time.

Is it obvious that I am new to this? I figured a question today will prevent a problem tomorrow.

Doug,

I normally glue up an entire panel unless of course it is real wide and with lots of boards. In the case you describe I would do all 3 boards at the same time.

I normally leave the panel glue-up cure overnight, although 2 to 3 hours is sufficient.

True "You can never have enough clamps"

If you don't ask questions -- you can't get answers. --- Unless you want to live in your local public library.

dougj1715
04-27-2003, 9:43 AM
Thanks for a quick response and thanks to all that will respond. Out to the garage I go.

Bill Esposito
04-27-2003, 11:45 AM
If you are in need of some clamps and have the extra cash Redmond Machinery has a sale on Gross-Stabile parallel bar clamps. Even with shipping you can still save $5-10/clamp over local purchases.

http://www.redmond-machinery.com/

Wayne Johnson
04-27-2003, 9:40 PM
I know that these Gross-Stabil PC2 clamps rated higher than the Bessey clamps of the same type in a popular woodworking article, but does anyone have any actual experience with them? I'm about to invest in either these or the Bessey clamps, but I don't know anyone who has the Gross-Stabil PC2 clamps and I want to hear some feedback before I buy them.

Wayne

Bill Esposito
04-27-2003, 9:52 PM
Originally posted by Wayne Johnson
but does anyone have any actual experience with them? Wayne Wayne,
No experience but I did get to handle both the Gross-Stabil and Bessey clamps at my Local Woodworkers Warehouse. IMO the GS clamps are better made. After playing with them for a while, I ordered 8 clamps from Redmond, should be here by friday.

Tom Gattiker
04-28-2003, 3:12 PM
...although I have not done as many glue-ups as Ken. This gives me more time to adjust things before the glue sets. Actually it gives me fewer things to adjust, since there is only one glue joint being created instead of 2 or more. I am not aware of a downside to doing it one joint at a time (except for the fact that it may slow you down), but if there is one, I hope folks will chime in.

Your glue bottle will tell you when you can take off the clamps. Yellow glue dries fast so if you lack clamps, it is a good way to go.

dougj1715
04-28-2003, 9:36 PM
Thanks to all that did or will reply, I did one panel one joint at a time and did the other panel all three pieces at one time. I have to say it was easier (for me) to do the one joint at a time. I felt I had more control over things. (Again that could be the newbie in me).

Also its not that I don't have any clamps, I just don't have many. Did go out and buy four inexpensive F- clamps today.

David Rose
04-29-2003, 12:54 AM
when you get tired of waiting for glue to setup, you can try more. That has been the way I've treated woodworking in general. After I get better at a job, then I look for ways to save time.

David