PDA

View Full Version : Need Tool Advise Please

Raymond Fries
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I want to start maikng pens for gifts and maybe for profit later. Looking for advise on what would be a good set of tools for making them. I have a Jet mini lathe and a standard size set of turning tools but that is it. Figure I need a set of the smaller tools but not sure what to get. Are the tool kits a good deal. Should I buy individual tools?

Any direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jim Burr
03-16-2012, 10:58 PM
Use what you have Raymond! I got tired of whittling away at a tough chunk of acrylic with a 3/8" skew designed for pens. Pulled out my DT 3/8" V gouge and knocked it out. Learn on what you have and save your $$ for more pen kits...they are not cheap!

Greg Just
03-16-2012, 11:02 PM
While I don't turn a lot of pens, I find that my "normal" tools work just fine, either my 1.25 or .5 inch skews. I don't think you need small tools to turn pens, but that just my opinion.

Doug W Swanson
03-16-2012, 11:03 PM
I agree with Jim. Smaller is not always better. I have a small set of tools just because it came with a lathe I bought. I use them mainly for small detail stuff but I could certainly get by without them. For pen turning, you really don't need anything fancy. I'd use what you have....

Vince Welch
03-16-2012, 11:07 PM
I want to start maikng pens for gifts and maybe for profit later. Looking for advise on what would be a good set of tools for making them. I have a Jet mini lathe and a standard size set of turning tools but that is it. Figure I need a set of the smaller tools but not sure what to get. Are the tool kits a good deal. Should I buy individual tools?Any direction is greatly appreciated.

ThanksHi Ray,
If you have a standard size set of tools I would think you would\should be able to turn pens and other small gift items. What tool do you have and what struggles are you working against preventing you from being successful? I beleive in buying individual tools rather then kits. Vince

Raymond Fries
03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the tips on the turning tools guys! I have a set of crown tools that worked just fine for the wine bottle stoppers I made but was not sure if I needed the smaller ones for the pens as I have never turned a pen.

Thinking about making some sets for Christmas gifts this year and see where it goes from there.

What kind of tools work the best for preparing the blanks and assembly.

Here is a link to one site for stuff I have been looking at. http://www.penmakingsupplies.com/Projects/penaccess.php

I just do not know what I really need to make them.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Doug W Swanson
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
A pen press is nice but it's not necessary. I also made my own pen blank vise by using a machinist vise and some scraps. It works well and I can still use the vise for other things. Here's a picture:

The pen insertion tool is handy because you can keep your hands cleaner. It's not a need but nice to have.

I think the barrel trimmer is a must have. It helps get your blanks square so they fit the bushings snugly.

You might also want to check out the IAP (International Association of Penturners) at penturners.org. LOTS of great info over there.....

Jim Burr
03-17-2012, 2:46 PM
Barrel trimmer is good, although some use a disc sander. Drilling method, either press or MT2 Jacobs chuck and drill on the lathe and a way to hold the blank. I have a pen press, but use a pipe clamp on an 18" pipe. CA or epoxy and finish material should get you on track.

Mike Campbell KS
03-18-2012, 3:10 AM
I also think that the barrel trimmer is the only must have tool. I have not used a disc sander, so I cannot comment on that. I drill the blanks on a lathe, and while this item (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html) is not a must have, I would not like to be without it. I hate changing jaws on my chucks, and have lost more than one night of turning when I stripped the heads out on the screws when changing jaws. I also have a full complement of mini tools marketed for pen turning, and I have never used them. I prefer the stabile feel and weight of larger tools, and they have never slowed me down.

Raymond Fries
03-18-2012, 8:59 AM
Thanks for the advise everyone. It was very helpful.

Bernie Weishapl
03-18-2012, 10:45 AM
Raymond I just use my normal turning tools. Don't buy the small one's as you will kick yourself for spending the money. Don't ask my how I know this.:mad: