PDA

View Full Version : macon ga

Dahl Troy Perry
03-16-2012, 7:10 PM
Setting here in the motel looking at a pecan grove do you think they would miss about 4ft. From one of those trees. I've heard pecan looks good on a bowl :)

Dennis Ford
03-16-2012, 7:22 PM
I like pecan for turning, they might have some material from trimming, especially if any storms have been through.

Bill Bulloch
03-16-2012, 7:32 PM
I'm right up the road from Macon in Orchard Hill. Swing by and I'll load you up with some Pecan.

Dahl Troy Perry
03-16-2012, 8:19 PM
Pm sent Bill

Roger Chandler
03-16-2012, 9:23 PM
I sense a creeker visit coming up! ;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-16-2012, 9:27 PM
Love turning pecan. Got a bunch from Mike Smith.

Steve Vaughan
03-16-2012, 9:48 PM
It is beautiful wood!

Russell Neyman
03-16-2012, 11:51 PM
This has absolutely noting to do with woodturning, but I feel compelled to respond. As a boy -- in the late 50's -- my father was the commanding officer of the United States Navy base on the southeast corner of Macon, and I have wonderful memories of growing up there. We built treehouses, wandered in the swamps, and went looking for snakes. Living on a Navy base was a continious commando raid, and I doubt any kid will have a life better than the one I lived. I mean, the movie, "Stand By Me" was the story of our childhood. One thing about your post that jumps out at me is the pecan trees. I recall, fondly, climbing the large pecans and harvesting sacks and sacks of the nuts, eating some but selling them to the neighbors.

The Naval Ordinance Plant is closed now, and Dad passed away in 2005, but the details of that time and place are as clear as yesterday. Well, I guess it was yesterday!

Because of your post I'll locate some pecan and turn a bowl. If it's show-worthy, I'll name it "Macon."

Gene Hatcher
03-17-2012, 12:00 AM
Don't leave me out, I live here. How about an electric chain saw? Seriously, with a Jet mini and a 1642 in the shop we could reduce a pecan log to sawdust in short order.

Bill Bulloch
03-17-2012, 8:11 AM
Don't leave me out, I live here. How about an electric chain saw? Seriously, with a Jet mini and a 1642 in the shop we could reduce a pecan log to sawdust in short order.

I got some for you too -- come and get it. You live close to two Woodturning Clubs: Barnesville Woodturners in Barnesville and Middle Georgia Woodturners in Gray. We have a lot of members that live in Macon you probably know some. I belong to both; come visit us.