PDA

View Full Version : Favorite chip, potato or otherwise

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 4:46 PM
OK I admit it I like Pringles but that ain't a real potato chip, it is a crisp...

Over the time I have spent in Louisiana as a result of my beautiful wife I have fallen in love with Zapps. I like the Voodoo and Sea Salt and Cracked Pepper. http://www.zapps.com/

So what brand/flavor makes your mouth go mmmmm like Homer Simpson with 5 pounds of bacon in front of him?

David Weaver
03-16-2012, 4:50 PM
I put a space taker post in here for the joker who says kale chips.

My potato answer is Utz in the red and white bag (the originals). There are none better, and there probably will never be because they are about as plain as you can get. Potatos, oil and salt.

They don't have the shelf life of overprocessed food, but they taste like the real thing because of it.

Caspar Hauser
03-16-2012, 4:51 PM
Walkers or Seabrooks, Cheese and Onion flavour, preferably Walkers, mind you Hedgehog flavour wasn't bad either!

Paul McGaha
03-16-2012, 6:19 PM
Van- You're so right about the Zapps chips. They are so good. I don't know that we can get them up here. We certainly used to buy them when we lived in Louisiana.

David-Agree with you also about UTZ chips, Red/White bag probably my favorite. Ate a lot of those Grandma UTZ chips too.

PHM

Mark Ashmeade
03-16-2012, 7:41 PM
Walker's Worcester Sauce or Salt 'n Vinegar.

Followed by Lay's Dill Pickle. Only ever seen them in Canada though.

Stax Salt 'n Vinegar. They don't make them any more :(

But the choice of champions has to be from Holland:

Hamkas:

And Wokkels:

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 8:02 PM
Van- You're so right about the Zapps chips. They are so good. I don't know that we can get them up here. We certainly used to buy them when we lived in Louisiana.

David-Agree with you also about UTZ chips, Red/White bag probably my favorite. Ate a lot of those Grandma UTZ chips too.

PHM

Zapps does ship, right from the kettle. I have had UTZ before and they are indeed a good chip.

After posting I had a craving but couldn't go out to the store because I was waiting on a conference call, then remembered I had 4 small bags one of the Krewes threw at at one of the Mardi Gras parades!

David Weaver
03-16-2012, 8:40 PM
Zapps does ship, right from the kettle. I have had UTZ before and they are indeed a good chip.

After posting I had a craving but couldn't go out to the store because I was waiting on a conference call, then remembered I had 4 small bags one of the Krewes threw at at one of the Mardi Gras parades!

How did you get the utz, were you on the east coast? When I moved from the eastern part of the state to the western part of the state, I couldn't get them for a while. I called Utz and asked them if they would be distributing them to and past pittsburgh and they said "no, the trucking company that distributes them decides what territory they'll cover", and then less than a year later, I saw the trucks delivering chips to the grocery stores.

I'm sure there are other chips like them that are pretty much just potatoes and oil and salt. They're my go-to here because they are made 10 minutes from where I grew up and you could get steel can of fresh chips and then take your can back and exchange for more fresh chips at the factory, like a version of the returnable bottle model.

Jim O'Dell
03-16-2012, 8:48 PM
A friend turned us on to the Zapps, and we love them, but don't splurge on them too often. Again, not a chip per se but I like the Sun chips too. Most any flavor. And the Kettle chips cracked black pepper and sea salt are very good. Jim.

Phil Thien
03-16-2012, 9:28 PM
How did you get the utz, were you on the east coast? When I moved from the eastern part of the state to the western part of the state, I couldn't get them for a while. I called Utz and asked them if they would be distributing them to and past pittsburgh and they said "no, the trucking company that distributes them decides what territory they'll cover", and then less than a year later, I saw the trucks delivering chips to the grocery stores.

I'm sure there are other chips like them that are pretty much just potatoes and oil and salt. They're my go-to here because they are made 10 minutes from where I grew up and you could get steel can of fresh chips and then take your can back and exchange for more fresh chips at the factory, like a version of the returnable bottle model.

There are many, many brands of chips that are just potatoes, oil, and salt.

It is amazing how much they can vary from one brand to the next with just those three ingredients, isn't it?

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 9:35 PM
How did you get the utz, were you on the east coast? .

I travel a LOT. I don't eat them often since my salty snack of choice in that area is the pretzel.

ray hampton
03-16-2012, 10:29 PM
I think Pringles' initial intention was to make tennis balls. But on the day that the rubber was supposed to show up, a big truckload of potatoes arrived. But Pringles was a laid-back company."

--Mitch Hedberg

Why would anyone eat potato chips that are made in a soap company ?
Mikes Sells is my favorite chips

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Why would anyone eat potato chips that are made in a soap company ?

They make Pepto and diapers to, they have all the ends covered.

ray hampton
03-16-2012, 10:52 PM
they make pepto and diapers to, they have all the ends covered.

u.n.c.l.e
u.n.c.l.e

Kevin Gregoire
03-17-2012, 12:20 AM
this is a hard one for me as i have many favorites but i would have to say my favorites are:

1. Doritos nacho cheese
2. Doritos cool ranch
3. Cheetos crunchy
4. Hy-Vee brand Kettle Cooked plain
5. Fridays brand Onion Rings
6. any brand Dill Pickle flavor chip
7. Sun Chips
8. Fridays Potato Skins chips

but unfortunately being diabetic now i have a hard time with salt so i eat a LOT of popcorn now

Rich Engelhardt
03-17-2012, 7:58 AM
Charles Chips and Wise are my favorites regular, Snyder's of Hanover my favorite BBQ, and Lays my favorite salt and vinegar.. but , w/the exception of sour cream flavored, I like them all.
My wife has a sweet tooth - I have a salt tooth! :D

Belinda Barfield
03-17-2012, 9:09 AM
Pork skins.
Any salt & vinegar chip.
Nacho Cheese Doritos.
Chili Cheese Fritos.

I rarely eat sweets but sometimes a get a fierce Doritos craving. . .

Tommy Takly
03-17-2012, 9:14 AM
Krunchers jalapeno chips ... I think I could eat them for breakfast.

David Weaver
03-17-2012, 9:37 AM
I travel a LOT. I don't eat them often since my salty snack of choice in that area is the pretzel.

Hanover PA is your place then (well, except that there's really nothing there to see). I don't know how many snack food companies are in that little town, but there are at least four large ones and a whole bunch of little ones.

Eric DeSilva
03-17-2012, 9:49 AM

I like Zapp's, especially with a muffaletta, but am fairly indifferent to potato chips generally. But... I have no issue saying that Hanover's Hard Sourdough pretzels are tops in the salty snack world.

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 1:08 PM
I like Zapp's, especially with a muffaletta, but am fairly indifferent to potato chips generally. But... I have no issue saying that Hanover's Hard Sourdough pretzels are tops in the salty snack world.

I agree on your choice of pretzel, thats why when I am in UTZ country I usually get pretzels instead.

ray hampton
03-17-2012, 1:35 PM
Did anyone try the brand " Dirty Potato Chips

Tim Morton
03-17-2012, 4:40 PM
Granite State chips from New Hampshire...used to live just down the road from the factory. Next to living in Hawaii and smelling pineapple every day...this was a close second.

Bob Lloyd
03-17-2012, 4:50 PM
Granite State chips from New Hampshire...used to live just down the road from the factory.

Never seen them and I am in NH a lot so I checked on line. They closed in 2007.

Brian Elfert
03-19-2012, 1:48 PM
I mostly eat Frito Lay brand chips or other name brand chips. The only ones I don't like are anything sweet or really spicy. I rarely eat any generic chips because they taste awful! I went on a tour of the local Old Dutch potato chip plant and they explained how the generic brand chips are made with lower quality potatoes. This explains why the generic chips taste so bad.

I don't usually eat any of the fancy gourmet potato chips because of the cost. I usually eat Frito Lay brands as those are the ones that go on sale.

Ben Hatcher
03-19-2012, 3:36 PM
I can't say that I have a favorite, but I certanly have one that I hate, Conn's Wavy. My mom loved them thus they were the only ones she bought for us. Ugh. Just the though of those soft oily chips makes me sick.

Ryan Mooney
03-19-2012, 4:17 PM
Poore Brothers Habanero, we used to get "extra seasoning" ones straight from the factory when I lived in AZ. I haven't had them in years though... not since before they sold and were still owned by the actual Poore brothers :D

Past that..
Most salt and vinegar (a few exceptions but generally)
Good Sweet Potato chips (I think that whatever brand Trader Joes used to sell was my favorite.. can't remember the names but can visualize the bag).

None of these beats the Cajun Seasoned boiled peanuts we got somewhere in ?texas? (I think maybe, its been a while but I ate the whole batch between rest stops).

Jerry Thompson
03-19-2012, 4:25 PM
Poker Chips. They never get old but dissapear too fast.

Howard Garner
03-19-2012, 5:54 PM
Cape Cod - Russet
A distinctive and different flavor

Howard Garner

Dave Lehnert
03-19-2012, 8:43 PM
Grippo's BBQ chip is big around here. Not sure if they are only local. Made near Dayton Ohio.

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/50315_255940404156_2939054_n.jpg

Jim Koepke
03-21-2012, 3:52 PM
I like the thicker Kettle Chips. Plain or BBQ is fine with me. Salt and vinegar is also a treat.

I have made my own a couple of times, but all that work for what amounts to a bag of chips that disappear all too fast and not good for the waste line is more than I need.

jtk

Kevin W Johnson
03-22-2012, 4:07 AM
Around here we have Martin's Potato Chips (barbecue being my fave), it's a regional thing, made in PA and distributed from NY to VA. After those, Nacho Cheese Dorito's, Pringles Cheddar Cheese. Our favorite vacation spot is the Outter Banks of NC, and we take Martin's with us, because you can't find them that far south.

David Weaver
03-22-2012, 8:15 AM
Around here we have Martin's Potato Chips (barbecue being my fave)..

Down the road a few miles from utz. They both have their fans locally, both are good chips.

Dale Coons
03-22-2012, 11:08 AM
The deli here at work makes fresh chips every day--thicker and a little on the dark side...mmmmmm!

Tim Morton
03-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Never seen them and I am in NH a lot so I checked on line. They closed in 2007.

funny i just saw this on facebook...not sure if the link will work..

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=109001605783378&set=a.155676157782589.35965.100000206162308&type=1&theater