PDA

View Full Version : Pens

Charlie Stein
03-24-2005, 8:46 PM
Hi All,
Here is something I tried,came out fair. These are made out of Lylock Bush, that was in the yard. It died amd I kept some of the biger pcs. and this is what came out.
Just Charlie
http://pic8.picturetrail.com/VOL234/1789406/4817709/84797517.jpg

Ernie Nyvall
03-24-2005, 9:26 PM
Nice pens Charles. That's some pretty wood too.
I would have never thought about using bush wood for anything until I bought a lathe. Then I had to cut down a big photinia and it has some beautiful grain as well.

Ernie

Pat Salter
03-24-2005, 11:47 PM
If only I had time to put all these great ideas to work :rolleyes: Nice work.

Bruce Shiverdecker
03-24-2005, 11:54 PM
Your work is very nice, Charles!

Nature did a fantastic job on the wood!

Together that makes outstanding pens!

Bruce

Thomas Wyatt
03-25-2005, 12:29 AM
how long did you let the pieces dry? I have a friend that gave me some olive branches and lemon tree branches.

John Hart
03-25-2005, 7:33 AM
Very nice Charles...I also went to your website and looked at your other items. You do very nice carvings and scroll work. Very impressive. Since you're in the area, I'd like to visit your shop sometime. Oh...and, I like your clocks too! (I'm a clock-aholic)

Harry Pye
03-25-2005, 11:32 AM
how long did you let the pieces dry? I have a friend that gave me some olive branches and lemon tree branches.

Something as small as a pen blank you can dry in a microwave oven. I weigh the piece on a digital postage scale before starting. Then a shot in the microwave on the defrost cycle. Let the wood cool completely and then weigh it again. Continue these steps until the weight stops dropping. Has worked very well for me.

Charlie Stein
03-25-2005, 8:09 PM
Hi Thomas,
Well it was dead for about 6 months, and I cut it & it layed in the shop back in the corner for another 4-5 months.I did not paint the ends as it was perty dry whn I cut it.
Would say if you cut green 6mo. to a year and it should be good and dry, paint the ends though. Good luck
Just Charlie

Thomas Wyatt
03-26-2005, 1:52 AM
Thanks. btw pens look great.

Will be trimming up some grape vines tomorrow. Plan on drying those out and seeing what they turn.

Earl Reid
03-26-2005, 12:31 PM
Hi, Charles, the pens are very nice, I like the black kits you used. I have made several pens from a old lilac stem ( it was well over 100 yrs old). I made a few from large grape vines ,but the didn't turn very well, too porous and it cracked while dring.
Earl