PDA

View Full Version : Which Grizzly Bandsaw?

Prashun Patel
03-16-2012, 10:08 AM
Ok, I've read ALL the bandsaw threads here and since the Griz info changes every couple months, I'd like to know from recent purchasers:

What is the diff between the Grizzly G0514XF and the G0514X2?

The only diff I can see is that the X2 has a CI trunion (vs steel in the XF). Do you believe this justifies the price diff?

FWIW, I just phoned Grizzly and the rep was not that helpful.

Should I be looking at a different saw?

(Thanks in advance to Van H for guiding me in this direction).

James White
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
Hi Prashun,

The different description is very subtle. But this is another difference.
"rack and pinion table tilt control with extra table support,"
You can see this rack and pinion arm on the back of the X2.

Neither of these features should be a deal breaker. But I had both versions. The first being the one without the rack and pinion arm and stamped steel trunnion. I would say that if money was a real issue skip this feature. But if you can take the hit. It makes your investment in a band saw that much nicer (luxurious). Without these features. I am going to guess that there can be a bit more vibration in the table as it has less substantial support. Whether this makes any real world difference in cut quality I can not say.

James

Ruel Smith
03-16-2012, 11:09 AM
According to their specifications, as presented in the PDF file from their website, the G0514XF has "aluminum table trunnions". The G0514X2 has cast iron table trunnions. Also, the X2 version has the geared table tilting mechanism. That's the whole difference...

Andrew Joiner
03-16-2012, 11:10 AM
Do they both have the rack and pinion table tilt control? That would do the most to keep the table rigid. CI vs steel trunion is not a big deal if both have the crank tilt.

You might have to call Grizzly more than once to get a person that's knows the product in question.

david brum
03-16-2012, 11:11 AM
Also notice that the XF model isn't CFA certitied. I don't know what that means, other than (I think) non CFA products may not be sold in all US markets. I think you're OK in New Jersey for instance, but CFA is supposed to be required in NY.

I would also be interested in why the X2 is 37lbs heavier than the XF. That can't all come from the trunnions. Maybe it has heavier wheels, which would be good.

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Also notice that the XF model isn't CFA certitied. I don't know what that means, other than (I think) non CFA products may not be sold in all US markets. I think you're OK in New Jersey for instance, but CFA is supposed to be required in NY.

I would also be interested in why the X2 is 37lbs heavier than the XF. That can't all come from the trunnions. Maybe it has heavier wheels, which would be good.

It is CSA not CFA, it is for those folks that live on your states northern border...

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Prashun I sent this info via PM also.

As noted it appears the only differences between the 514XF and 514X2 is the trunnion and the rack and pinion geared table tilt (and the current $170). The interesting thing is I think there is a typo in the bandsaw comparison chart which shows no R&P tilt on the 514X2. It does show in the pictures on the site, the page it is sold on in the 2012 catalog and in the manual, so I think it has it. Currently I think the 514XF is "value" priced in that all the other 514 series saws are priced compared to each other the way we have come to expect from Grizzly the XF however is cheaper than the 514X, this happens in their line from time to time and usually corrects at some point, it may be to adjust supply and demand or who knows.

The 514XF seems to be the best buy right now, the X2 has extra features that are good for working heavy wood but for $170 more.

Mark Engel
03-16-2012, 11:52 AM
I have 514X2B, same as the X2, but with a motor brake instead of the foot brake. The table is rock solid and doesn't move when you drop a very large chunk of wood onto it. The rack and pinion table lift makes it much easier to set an accurate cutting angle.

If you have any specific questions about the X2(B) I can take a look at mine and/or take some pictures if that would help.

Steve Meliza
03-16-2012, 12:42 PM
G0514X2 also has cast iron wheels.

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 1:00 PM
G0514X2 also has cast iron wheels.

So does the 514XF. The largest saw Grizzly makes with aluminum wheels now is the 17" 513 and 513P. In fact the only others in the line are the 580, 555 and 555P.

Carl Beckett
03-16-2012, 1:09 PM
I dont know Prashun, this is a pretty specific and benign post for a bandsaw post...... it might even finish out under 6 pages....... ;)

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 1:25 PM
I dont know Prashun, this is a pretty specific and benign post for a bandsaw post...... it might even finish out under 6 pages....... ;)

Oh the horror.

James White
03-16-2012, 6:34 PM
Carl,

You need to wait till he declares that he has decided to go another model or two up the chain. That's when it will get interesting!

James

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 6:50 PM
Carl,

You need to wait till he declares that he has decided to go another model or two up the chain. That's when it will get interesting!

James

I think he already may have been there and done that... now maybe we can move him up a few more rungs... I think he should call up Northfield, he should be able to get a 36" Deluxe delivered for under $30K with the "needed" options, they may even throw in lift gate delivery... :D

Mark Engel
03-16-2012, 6:54 PM
The Northfield may be aiming a bit too high. How about a nice Agazzani? From what I have read, the Italians really know how to build a quality bandsaw. And I'm sure they could use the Euros. :D

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 7:08 PM
Mark, though I do like Agazzani saw I tend to prefer the Cantauro built MiniMax saws as my signature so cryptically indicates. Plus, I have to keep mine happy she is a fiery Italian woman and may refuse to cut for me if I start hanging out with ACM saws.

James White
03-16-2012, 7:13 PM
I am pleased with my 514X2. Just don't get an 1-1/4" carbide blade. It is not quite capable of tensioning it. I had to set my wheels so that after tensioning they will be coplanar. But then they are off for smaller blades. I only went with the 1-1/4" because Laguna was offering at a price that I could not refuse. That is if, I wanted to try a carbide blade. I am very glad I did. Resaw is no longer a challenge. But rather a pleasure.

James

Mark Engel
03-16-2012, 7:18 PM
I actually know nothing about the Agazzani or Minimax or dozens of other higher end band saws(apart from things I have read). Just throwing out some humor (???)

The Grizzly 514X2B was a major upgrade for me, having used a Woodworkers Warehouse 4 speed 14" with riser for over 10 years. For my hobbiest needs, I do not ever see needing anything more than what the 514 provides.

Now, if my powerball numbers hit... All bets are off!

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 7:22 PM
Just throwing out some humor (???)

Me too! My bandsaw knows who wears the pants in the family anyway...

I have to do something to make sure it makes it to the proper page count for a bandsaw thread!

Mark Engel
03-16-2012, 7:34 PM
I am pleased with my 514X2. Just don't get an 1-1/4" carbide blade. It is not quite capable of tensioning it. I had to set my wheels so that after tensioning they will be coplanar. But then they are off for smaller blades. I only went with the 1-1/4" because Laguna was offering at a price that I could not refuse. That is if, I wanted to try a carbide blade. I am very glad I did. Resaw is no longer a challenge. But rather a pleasure.

James

Good point James.

I got a 1" Woodmaster carbide blade for the 514X2B. It is a Lennox blade at a slighter lower price point than the Lennox Tri-Master. It cuts through 8-10 inch maple with no problem whatsoever. The carbide tips on this blade are tiny, so, not sure if it can be re-sharpened, but time will tell. The 143" blade cost about $110. I haven't seen a Laguna resaw king or a Trimaster for anywhere near that price.

Mark Engel
03-16-2012, 7:35 PM
Me too! My bandsaw knows who wears the pants in the family anyway...

I have to do something to make sure it makes it to the proper page count for a bandsaw thread!

:D

Just helping with the post count.

Brian Kent
03-16-2012, 7:39 PM
Both of them look good because they have wheel cut-outs that look like little bears. You can show your son and he will love them.

Carl Beckett
03-16-2012, 9:11 PM
Both of them look good because they have wheel cut-outs that look like little bears. You can show your son and he will love them.

What?!? Uh oh, I got the wrong one.

Ok then, anyone interested in a used Laguna........ ( round holes though, so full disclosure... )

Ruel Smith
03-17-2012, 12:19 AM
From what I have read, the Italians really know how to build a quality bandsaw.

It's funny some people say that around this forum, because typically, historically, Italians aren't known for reliability. Even Ferraris have long been considered somewhat "fragile" automobiles. They just look and sound pretty. Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear commented that whenever he drives an Italian supercar, he's always worried about every little noise he hears, as it may be a catastrophic one... I just watched an episode of Motorweek where they tested the 458 Italia and commented that it was the first Ferrari they'd ever gotten where there wasn't fit and finish problems with interior trim. The only European countries ever to be known for their quality has been Germany and Switzerland.

Ryan Mooney
03-17-2012, 12:48 AM
It's funny some people say that around this forum, because typically, historically, Italians aren't known for reliability.
Italians make three things very well than I know of:

bandsaws
shotguns
pasta
(I also like some of the wine, but thats controversial)

Comparing the spec sheets (why! I already have a competitive bandsaw.. its a sickness I tell you.. spreads via internet forums... probably Vans fault somehow. Distressingly you grow to like it..).

Here are the only differences I can see..

Thing

XF

X2

Amps full load

16A

12A

weight

trunnions

aluminum

cast iron

price

I'm making some assumptions about whats "good" (amps are going ?somewhere? presumably its either a bigger or less efficient motor.. you guess, that one is either better or worse.. Generally more weight is "better" because; well its going somewhere hopefully useful. Cast iron is presumably going to wear better). Final score? Imho slightly in favor of the X2, but the saws are very poorly differentiated.

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 1:03 AM
The reality along with the Austrians (since Felder moved BS production inhouse) the Italians make the best modern bandsaw, save the few still made here in the US but they START at around $15k. But then the Swiss nor the Germans make many if any woodworking vertical bandsaws. As for Ferrari their road cars were built like race cars for many years with the view that many parts were consumable (such as headers) that most road car owners would consider lifetime parts and engines that were made to be run hard but maintained constantly, few of their owners did/do that. The tide began to shift with the 360 and now the 458 seems to be an amazing car. For most of its life Ferrari cared little about interior and creature comforts, just look at the interior of the F40, only a true Spartan would love it. In the bigger picture even the Germans have issues with building very low production one off evolutionary super cars, super cars just tend to be temperamental. One also can't lose sight of the fact that Ferrari's test car fleet probably gets flogged more than just about any other car company's.

On the race car side it is interesting that that the greatest period in Ferrari's F1 "career was when a Brit, a South African, a Frenchman and a German all met up in Maranello and made the church bells ring almost every Sunday.

Digressing even further there are several other European countries that show amazing craftsmanship and quality in certain products.

Van Huskey
03-17-2012, 1:19 AM
I'm making some assumptions about whats "good" (amps are going ?somewhere? presumably its either a bigger or less efficient motor.. you guess, that one is either better or worse.. Generally more weight is "better" because; well its going somewhere hopefully useful. Cast iron is presumably going to wear better). Final score? Imho slightly in favor of the X2, but the saws are very poorly differentiated.

I think the amperage is 16A for both. It says 12A if you pull up the spec sheet for the X2 but 16A like the XF in the manual. I think you are right, it is a sickness!

Bill Dempsey
03-17-2012, 8:59 AM
Prashun, I've got the 514X2B, and am about 2 hrs drive from you, in Pa. If you're interested, you can use it anytime.

I really like the saw, coming up from a 14inch cast iron type. The cast iron trunions and adjustment mechanism are rock solid.

John Coloccia
03-17-2012, 9:47 AM
It's funny some people say that around this forum, because typically, historically, Italians aren't known for reliability.

Well, when it comes to bandsaws and shotguns, they are.

John Coloccia
03-17-2012, 9:47 AM
Italians make three things very well than I know of:

bandsaws
shotguns
pasta
(I also like some of the wine, but thats controversial)

I see we're on the same page.