PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Light Weight Objects on the Epilog Rotary Attch

mike klein
03-15-2012, 11:14 PM
I've got a customer that wants a logo engraved on these light weight alum. flashlights that I got from JDS
Industries. It really needs to be done using the rotary attachment to wrap it around the barrel of the light otherwise I'd have to size it down so small to engrave it without the rotary that its not very readable.

The problem I'm having is these things are so light weight that they slip on the rotary rollers so the engraving isn't coming out correctly. I put the 3AAA batteries in the flashlight thinking that would add some weight to them and they wouldn't slip on the rollers but no luck.

I wish Epilog made some type of a rotary attachment that had a clamping system on it.

Steven Cox
03-15-2012, 11:20 PM
Mike try putting 2 small but wide rubber band around the torch at each end that will sit on the rollers that may help it get some traction. You'd just need to ensure the bands are a tight fit.

mike klein
03-15-2012, 11:31 PM
Mike try putting 2 small but wide rubber band around the torch at each end that will sit on the rollers that may help it get some traction. You'd just need to ensure the bands are a tight fit.

Thanks for the tip Steve, I never thought of that. What I don't understand though, the barrel of these lights are not smooth metal but a rough surface so I thought sure as heck they would grip on the rubber roller pretty good. I'll try the rubber band method and see what happens.

Mike227271

Darryl Hazen
03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
I've done hundreds of those and never had a problem with slippage. Epilog Mini 24 45W using the Epilog rotary with no rubber bands or weights. I do run them with the batteries in.

mike klein
03-15-2012, 11:52 PM
I think I may have figured out a solution. Took some 220 grit sandpaper and cut a piece to wrap around one of the rollers. Did a test engrave on the light with painters tape and it turned out perfect. Just to be safe I'm going to cut a strip of sandpaper for the other roller.

Mike227277

mike klein
03-15-2012, 11:55 PM
It sure wouldn't work for me Darryl, don't know what to say.

Chuck Stone
03-16-2012, 8:14 AM
I do those, but have a different rotary setup so it may not apply.
But it couldn't hurt to make yourself some sort of jig to hold and
move things.. perhaps a disc with a 'center' attached to it? Should
allow the rollers to get a better hold on smaller things.

Also, looking at the rollers.. rubber can dry out over time and lose it's
ability to grip.. or dust/debris can fill in the pores and it loses traction.
Usually a cleanup with a damp towel will restore traction, but if the
rubber has been cleaned with any solvents it can permanently dry out.
In that case you might want to see if replacing the rubber helps. OR get
a wide rubber band and put it over the existing one and see if that
does it. If so, might be time to replace the rubber.

Duane Parcells
03-16-2012, 8:55 AM
Hi Mike
For light weight items like wine glasses, egg shells etc. I use children's play dough packed inside. Also use rubber restorer made for laser printer feed systems to recondition the rubber wheels when they get slick. Will look up the name and source if needed.
Duane

Martin Boekers
03-16-2012, 9:52 AM
I to have done lot's of those flashlights, they seem to be pretty popular! I have had issues
in the past with the rubber rings they're cheap enough to replace. Try slowing down the speed
if you run to fast there is the possiblilty of slipping. Make sure you have the current driver as
Epilog has changed how the rotary advances inbetween spaces. It used to jump quickly, now it should
rotate consistantly.

Rudy Ress
03-16-2012, 1:14 PM
Don't forget you can add lead fishing sinkers for added weight.

mike klein
03-16-2012, 2:14 PM
Good idea Rudy
I was trying think of something that was heavy in weight yet small and sinkers would work great I think. So far my sandpaper idea is working

Mike