PDA

View Full Version : How is this achieved?

Nick Syrax
03-15-2012, 10:51 PM
My guess is it's etched white acrylic with color fill. Is that correct?

http://www.etsy.com/listing/90972997/howling-wolf-crest-laser-etched-acrylic?ref=sr_gallery_4&sref=&ga_search_query=laser+etched&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_facet=handmade

Steven Cox
03-15-2012, 11:06 PM
From the link you gave it tells how in the write up below the image. 3mm White acrylic with a black pigment applied....

Mike Null
03-15-2012, 11:06 PM
Here's what the ad said: The detailed image is laser etched "into" the surface and coloured with black pigment which gives a totally waterproof image and is virtually impossible to remove.

Nick Syrax
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
Mainly I was wondering what the pigment might be and how to do color it properly

Rodne Gold
03-16-2012, 2:00 AM
The same paint thats used on cars will do very well , most paints are waterproof....

Bill Gailey
03-16-2012, 9:05 AM
Any suggestions on how the paint/pigment is being applied? How do you get the residue off the surface and how deep would it have to lasered to hold the paint/pigment?

Michael Hunter
03-16-2012, 9:31 AM
The pigment in the tiny tins of oil-based paint for model kits is very fine and works well for this sort of application.
Since it dries quite slowly, you have plenty of time to clean up the excess.
Basically, work the paint into the engraving with a fairly stiff brush, then remove the excess by rubbing on a smooth cloth.

Suitable paints in the UK are -
Humbrol (modeller's paints - tiny cans)
Revelle (modeller's paints - tiny cans)
Japlac (small cans)
Rustin's "Small Job" 250ml cans

Martin Boekers
03-16-2012, 9:44 AM
You may be able to lightly sand it similar to Corian, since you may not need a smooth surface.

Rodne Gold
03-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Just google "paint filling engraved acrylic" :)

Nick Syrax
03-16-2012, 11:36 AM
Thanks to all!!! :0)

Frank Corker
03-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Straight black acrylic paint will give that result. Put a blob of black on the piece, work it in with your finger, as it dries the excess will dry, harden and drop off the surface. Very easy to do. Acrylic paint doesn't smell either and you can wash your hands with plain old soapy water!

Michael Hunter
03-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Frank has that magic touch...

When I tried it with acrylic paint on a big expensive sign, the excess paint instantly dried to a rock-hard consistency and I scratched the acrylic trying to get it off.
Ever since, I have stuck to the oil-based stuff.

Dee Gallo
03-16-2012, 1:01 PM
Michael,

For future reference, get yourself some plastic razor blades.... they work the best on any surface you don't want to scratch. Don't know where you get them in the UK, but here Lee Valley sells them. They are also used for auto detailing, removing stray paint from pinstriping jobs, etc. so try an auto paint store.

Nick,

You don't mention where you are in your sig. But I use Flo-Quil, a model paint made by Testors. It works really well for me on plastic.

cheers, dee

Michael Hunter
03-16-2012, 1:59 PM
Thanks Dee.
I did a google and can get them for about £10 for 25, including a handle.
I think that they would be useful to have around, though I will stick to the oil-based paint for filling.

Martin Boekers
03-16-2012, 2:01 PM
Dee I didn't know there was such a beast! Thanks! I have been using just the IPI or Rowmark
plastic albiet it carefully. I will add some of these blades to my tool kit!

Steven Cox
03-16-2012, 11:17 PM
I was thinking about this and have a theory...

In the Auto industry there's a liquid mask by 3M called Overspray Masking Liquid. Essentially its a water based liquid mask that dries to a thin film that will protect just about any surface from paint oversray and its water soluble. My theory is that you could coat the surface with this stuff then engrave, spray paint with a can of spray then when the paint is dry wash of the remaining mask... Job Done!

Besides 3m there are lots of products out there that are used as liquid masks including the building industry that work on the same principal but I think finding one that's water soluable is the key. I also had the thought of mixing my own with some flour and metho with a bit of food colouring to make a brushable quick drying paste to act as a mask. Think here of the Cermark spray for Stainless Steel. When dry its a brittle coating that just washes off, yes totally different but I'm thinking here how it dries and sits on the surface.

Anyway all of this is just theory and I haven't tried anything, but I thought I'd chuck it out there because sometimes the simplest things can lead to solutions.

Michael Hunter
03-17-2012, 6:15 AM
Thats a good idea. Hadn't though of liquid mask.

The 3M stuff sounds similar to the release agent used in fibreglass moulding (which is easy to get hold of cheaply).
It is poly vinyl alcohol - sprays on in a thin film which dries to a plastic consistency and washes off with water afterwards.
(Don't worry about the "vinyl" bit - there is no chlorine in it).

I shall get some to use with a cheap Chinese Rowmark copy which is very difficult to clean up after engraving.

Chuck Stone
03-17-2012, 7:57 AM
I was thinking about this and have a theory...

In the Auto industry there's a liquid mask by 3M called Overspray Masking Liquid. Essentially its a water based liquid mask that dries to a thin film that will protect just about any surface from paint oversray and its water soluble. My theory is that you could coat the surface with this stuff then engrave, spray paint with a can of spray then when the paint is dry wash of the remaining mask... Job Done!

Wouldn't the spray paint act as a new mask, protecting your water based mask from being washed off by the water?

I seriously don't know.. so I'm asking. I haven't done it either.

Michael Hunter
03-17-2012, 10:30 AM
I think that you could probably peel most of it off dry - taking the excess paint with it.
The stuff doesn't stick hard and nothing sticks to it well after it has dried.
I haven't tried it either, but it is definitely worth a go.

Steven Cox
03-17-2012, 9:43 PM
Hmmm... Seems liquid paint masks are more common than I first thought, hobbiests and artists seem to use them a lot. Try googling liquid paint mask you'll be amazed what's out there. There was even a company in the US that has one specifically for laser applications - strippablecoating.com For me though here in Australia I'll just try the hobby & arts supply shops first. I'm eager to try this so I'll post up some results with pics here as soon as I can.

The artist masking fluids I saw were removed with an eraser without damaging the paper or canvas so I think that will be the first I'll try.

Dee Gallo
03-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Dee I didn't know there was such a beast! Thanks! I have been using just the IPI or Rowmark
plastic albiet it carefully. I will add some of these blades to my tool kit!

Martin,

They are the best thing since sliced bread - I use the yellow ones, they are stiffer but more brittle. I use them on both acrylic and oil based paints on a wide variety of substrates - never fail! I never use the handle thingy, it does not give me the right angle since I use it rightways, wrongways and upside down sometimes! hahaha.

Julie Forrester
04-26-2012, 5:33 PM
OK, I'm a newbie and just surfing the site to see what wonderful ideas and tips I can to expand my product lines.

Question....did anyone try this? It's kind of cool and definitely wearable art.

Thanks,

Julie
That'll Leave A Mark

Mike Null
04-27-2012, 3:32 AM
Julie

Welcome to SMC. That process is quite easy to do. I was also going to suggest waterproof print maker's ink available at art supply stores.

Daniel Wolanski
04-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Nice find Dee. I love this forum for little tid-bits like this. I just ordered (25) of the plastic blades from Lee Valley.

A man (or women :)) can never have too many tools!

Alexa Ristow
04-27-2012, 3:40 PM
Hi all,

Look at web sites for window tinting. Plastic razor blades and all sorts of tools that can find an application in our workshops.

Regards,
Alexa

Mike Null
04-27-2012, 4:04 PM
Dee

Following your tip I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades. None had heard of them. I'll be shopping the internet again.

Martin Boekers
04-27-2012, 5:54 PM
Dee

Following your tip I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades. None had heard of them. I'll be shopping the internet again.

Mike check auto parts stores as they are designed to remove decals.

Glen Monaghan
04-27-2012, 6:00 PM
Lowes lists them, and most any auto parts store should have them, probably good art stores as well.

-Glen

Anthony Welch
04-27-2012, 9:25 PM
230722I think it is the LazerMax product. I use it to make High School mascot earrings.

Mike Null
04-27-2012, 9:30 PM
Martin

Here's what I said earlier:
I went to every conceivable store in St. Louis to find plastic razor blades.

That included auto supply stores.

Dee Gallo
04-27-2012, 9:53 PM
Dee

Mike, that surprises me, it's pretty commonly used by auto paint guys.. but get them from Lee Valley, they ship very quickly.

Glen Monaghan
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
Autozone lists them:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Help-5-pcs-Plastic-Razor-Blade/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=102953

As does Sears:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/t_10153_12605?tName=plastic-razor-blades.html

Ron Thompson
04-28-2012, 12:25 AM
Check Ebay.

Ron Thompson

Mike Null
04-28-2012, 6:12 AM
Dee

My thought too but neither Autozone (2 stores) or OReilly's had it. Nor did the paint stores, hobby shops or home improvement stores. At that point I decided to go to the internet.