PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1617 EVSPK is DEAD?

Michael Mayo
03-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Well I bought a Bosch 1617 EVSPK kit last year off a guy for short money and it looked brand new. It has worked and held up fine for the year I have had it and I have had no issues. So tonight I was out in the shop making a template for a part i want to make and when it came time to fire up the Bosch it wouldn't even whimper? I used it a couple of weeks ago and put it away no problem. When I turned it on tonight it wouldn't do anything so I took the top of the housing off and checked all the parts in the top. The brushes are at least half life left and the rest of the electrical parts all seemed in good working order. So I got out the meter and plugged the router in. To make sure I had power actually reaching the electrical circuits I tested the inputs and they checked out fine. So the next thing I can see is the speed control module. Is this part a known failure item? I am going to look up the part and see what the cost is before I order it maybe a new router is in order. I really loved this router and had no problems with it at all until tonight and it was very disappointing to have it not power up.

Michael Mayo
03-15-2012, 10:49 PM
Well I looked at the parts breakdown and the switch looks like the possible culprit but I will have to jump it to see if it is the problem and if it isn't then the speed governor is culprit #2. I will test tomorrow and see what happens.

Tim Howell
03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Keep us posted - I'm interested in the outcome. Got the 1617 myself.

Van Huskey
03-15-2012, 11:12 PM
My bet the switch. Known issue, I think Bosch replaced some with a sealed switch. Take the switch out (plug in type) open it up it (don't loose the spring inside) blow it out with compressed air, put it all back together and likely it will be fine. This happens much more often in a table.

Bill Huber
03-15-2012, 11:17 PM
The switch has been a problem, they get dust in them. I had to knock the dust out of mine 2 or 3 times and then I got a new switch and have had no problems in the last 2 years.

Michael Mayo
03-15-2012, 11:29 PM
I was thinking it was the switch. I think I will just order a new switch I assume they will ship a newer sealed switch. Thanks for the replies guy's much appreciated.

Michael Heffernan
03-16-2012, 8:27 AM
Before you pay for a new switch, give Bosch a call and explain the failure of the switch. I know in the past they have sent out new ones at no cost, as this was a known issue. Have the serial # of the 1617 on hand. May save you a few greenbacks.

I was thinking it was the switch. I think I will just order a new switch I assume they will ship a newer sealed switch. Thanks for the replies guy's much appreciated.

Ronald Blue
03-16-2012, 5:44 PM
I have the Craftsman version of it and had the same thing happen. I initially thought it had died but when I took the switch out it had dust in it. No problems since I cleaned it. As Bill said the switch is vulnerable to dust intrusion and apparently blocks the contacts.

Michael Mayo
03-16-2012, 9:39 PM
Before you pay for a new switch, give Bosch a call and explain the failure of the switch. I know in the past they have sent out new ones at no cost, as this was a known issue. Have the serial # of the 1617 on hand. May save you a few greenbacks.

Great advice I will give them a call on Monday.

Jay Jolliffe
03-17-2012, 6:02 AM
I've put two switches in mine so far. Worked one day didn't work the next. Changed the switch then it was fine.

Michael Mayo
03-18-2012, 12:07 AM
I took the switch out today and pulled it apart and sure enough it was loaded with sawdust. Cleaned it out and reinstalled and the router is back to normal. I used some silicone caulking to plug up the holes on the back of the switch to keep the dust out. The switch has a membrane on the top side of the switch the faces outside the housing but they have vent holes or something in the back of the switch on each corner that obviously allow significant amounts of dust to migrate into the switch and get between the two contacts. Poor design IMHO. It was super easy to remove the switch and pop it apart so no need to buy a new one and wait. So anyone who has this issue in the future should just take 10-15 min. and remove the switch and pop the bottom of the switch off there is a little toggle arm with a contact on it that will fall out so be careful not to lose that little bugger. Then just blow the dust out and use a toothbrush to remove any stubborn sticky dust. It looked like new after 2 min. of cleaning. I am sure this happened because I had the router upside down mounted in my table and had never had any issues prior to having in the table.

Van Huskey
03-18-2012, 12:41 AM
Can't beat easy and cheap.