PDA

View Full Version : A new Powermatic 4224 ships tomorrow.

Bill Wyko
03-15-2012, 9:00 PM
After a lot of thought, I realized that I just couldn't find a lathe with more features anywhere close to the value of the Powermatic 4224 lathe. Variable speed, 3hp motor, reversible, 24 inches of swing, ability to turn outboard (didn't know that til today) around 900lbs of stability, magnetic power box and the list goes on. I needed a lathe that would handle the big segmented vessel I'm working on and big ones in the future. I've always been happy with my Powermatic drill press table saw and other tools that I felt I really couldn't do better and yet be in an affordable range. Now I just need to finish a humidor then it's turnin & burnin!!! Time to kick it into high gear.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2012, 9:12 PM
Congrats Bill! I am sure the lathe will be fantastic! Looking forward to seeing photos once it arrives!!

Roger Chandler
03-15-2012, 9:16 PM
you picked a nice one Bill..........congratulations!

Harvey Ghesser
03-15-2012, 9:37 PM
Congratulations, Bill! I know you'll get many years of great service from your new addition!

Bill Wyko
03-15-2012, 9:50 PM
Now I have to get busy on the big vessel. I can't wait to turn something this size. Having this much swing allows me to make features with a lot of detail. Now this opens up so many new ideas I've always wanted to impliment. I guess I'm part of the mustard crowd now.:D

Nathan Hawkes
03-15-2012, 11:32 PM
WOOOHOOO!!!! Welcome to the mustard club! You'll like being a member, I'm willing to bet! I'm turning on the younger brother of your soon-to-be acquisition. I just wish it had 3HP! I suppose it is a bit different turning segmented pieces, but I use every bit of the 2HP that my 3520 has to offer. 3HP should really let you throw some shavings! And likely, you won't need the big ballast box underneath your lathe that I have under mine! Congratulations!

Sid Matheny
03-15-2012, 11:55 PM
You will love that lathe Bill! My neighbor has the Powermatic 4224 and where is not much not to love about it. Good thing the Commandment was not "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's Lathe" or I would be in big trouble!

Sid

Baxter Smith
03-15-2012, 11:59 PM
Congrats on the BIG lathe Bill. I attended a Nick Cook demo a couple months ago. He sounded almost like a Powermatic Rep the way he talked about the new 4224. He mentioned there were other improvements beyond the sliding headstock but didn't go into details. I would be interested in what those would be once you get it. (and no I'm not in the market):)

Reed Gray
03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
There is supposed to be a new model coming out by San Jose, and it will have the sliding head stock, plus a few other things.

robo hippy

Bill Wyko
03-16-2012, 2:33 AM
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty excited. The first segmented vessel I will be turning is the one with the snowflake pattern, thousands of pieces. I'll need all the bed it has for this one. It's also reversable so I can turn off the bed too.
I'm rearranging things so I can walk completely around it. That will allow so much more access to the piece.

Rick Markham
03-16-2012, 3:11 AM
Congrats! and welcome to the Mustard Monster Club, we are happy to have you! Don't forget pics when it shows up :)

John Keeton
03-16-2012, 6:25 AM
Bill, now that is a hunk of iron! A big congrats, and I sure look forward to the expanded viewings of your work - should be worth the wait on our part, too.

Michelle Rich
03-16-2012, 6:46 AM
I can't wait to see the segmented capitol dome you will turn on this behometh!! Will the new huge stuff fit thru normal doorways? :-) under standard ceilings? :-) Will it live on 12" thick concrete floors? :-) Have fun!

Pete Jordan
03-16-2012, 7:02 AM
Wow Bill! You really came to play!

I think you picked the perfect lathe for what you are doing. Enjoy!

charlie knighton
03-16-2012, 10:56 AM
congratulations Bill, that's big iron

ability to turn outboard (didn't know that til today) how do you do that, the headstock does not move?

Bill Bolen
03-16-2012, 12:09 PM
Congrat's on the new big yellow Monster Bill. Looks like you won't have to worry about an upgrade in the future! With two 1442's wanting to stay busy too we might not see you again till Christmas!! Have fun with her!

Alan Trout
03-16-2012, 2:42 PM
Congratulations on the big hunk of iron. I have used one for some demos and they are a nice lathe. The only complaint is the size of the banjo. It is about twice the size of a Oneway or Rubust and about twice as heavy. Just makes it a little hard to maneuver. However I agree they are a good value.

Alan

Bill Wyko
03-16-2012, 3:49 PM
Thanks very much everyone. It's official, it shipped today. I noticed that Robust makes a tilt away for the Powermatic, I'll probably invest in one soon. Problem now, I won't sleep until it's here. Then I won't sleep because I'll want to be turning. I was nice enough to let my LOML that I'd visit around dinner time every other day or so. LMAO!

Brian D Wood
03-16-2012, 6:38 PM
Congratulations on the new lathe, I'm sure you will love it. Very solid, reliable machine. Takes me back to how excited I was to receive mine.

Gary Max
03-16-2012, 7:20 PM
Congrats Bill ---I have been turning on a 4224 for several years now and would buy another on today.

Bill Wyko
03-17-2012, 12:39 AM
Thanks everyone. Any tricks you can share about the lathe? Anyone turn off the bed?
I had to order all new thread inserts for the chucks too and will have 220v to its location by the time it gets here. It'll be a busy weekend.

Rick Markham
03-17-2012, 2:22 AM
congratulations Bill, that's big iron

how do you do that, the headstock does not move?

I'm assuming the side of the spindle that has the handwheel is threaded too, just toss it in reverse and go to town! No need to move the headstock or swivel anything. But I might be entirely wrong... I have a 3520B (the little lathe) :D

Gary Max
03-17-2012, 7:53 AM
You need to wire a shut off switch to kill all power before the lathe. Mine is on the wall behind me so I don't have to go far to shut the machine completely down. You don't want the inverter to run when the machine is not being used.-----------PM sent---couple more tricks

Allan Ferguson
03-17-2012, 10:14 AM
You will have to keep everyone away from it to prevent rusting the bed ways. Drool!

Bill Wyko
03-17-2012, 3:45 PM
Thanks everyone and Gary, thanks for the call back. It was great talking to you. I'll be sure to add the power shut off to the power supply on the wall and follow the other tricks you mentioned. i really appreciate the advice.

Bill Wyko
03-23-2012, 12:17 PM
Well, it's scheduled for delivery next Thursday. I'm going to loan one of my Jet1442's to my BIL and we're going to wire for the new one this weekend. I've got some rearranging to do in the shop. I didn't realize the new lathe is 75" long. That's about 15" longet than my current one. No problem at all though.
I'm making great progress on my big segmented turning too so I'll be able to get the feature ring on the lathe shortly after it's in place. I plan on making some video's and pictures of my work that will be on my website. That way I can put a lot more pictures and get into greater detail of the turnings I make. Thursday can't get here soon enough at this point.

Steve Busey
03-23-2012, 12:25 PM
Thursday can't get here soon enough at this point. I understand the dynamic of waiting! Sounds like a lathe worth waiting for, though!

Roland Martin
03-23-2012, 12:36 PM
That looks like an awesome lathe,(drool,drool):). Thursday will come, in what will seem like a month. Then again, you're so busy you won't even notice:). Can't wait for pics.

Bill Wyko
03-23-2012, 3:14 PM
I just found out it comes assembled. This should be fun. I need to move it to my shop at home and lift it about a foot to get it in my shop. We all know though that it's going in one way or another.:D