PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day - Savannah

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2012, 4:32 PM
Any of you headed to Savannah for St. Patrick's Day? We are set to have the largest parade in the world this year, surpassing New York. One million visitors will descend on the downtown area. Here's why I will be staying at home:

"The City has decided to donate 366 portable bathrooms to accommodate 1 million St. Patrick’s Day attendees and such will be placed very strategically so everybody can make it there in time without any accidents. Thinking mathematically for a second, those visitors will probably seek desperate relief at least 4 times during the celebrations which means that the City adequately provides 1 portable toilet for about 11,000 users."
:eek:

The city has only been celebrating St. Pat's for 188 years . . . you'd think they'd have the potty issue worked out by now. :rolleyes:

Van Huskey
03-15-2012, 5:50 PM
Porta Potties are always an interesting thing at Mardi Gras in NOLA. There never seems to be enough of them, or everyone needs to pee at one time. Public urination is about the only thing the police to turn a blind eye to.

As for St Pats not coming this year but have been many times, always fun. With downtown New Orleans just 45 minutes away we usually get burned out during Mardi Gras and never seem to get back to Savannah.

Have fun, be safe.

Belinda Barfield
03-15-2012, 6:47 PM
Van, the police do not turn a blind eye to ANYTHING here. Unless things have changed this year, I haven't read the "rules", holding more than one cup of beer will get you a $90 ticket. Alcohol is sold one cup at a time so basically everyone comes to Savannah to stand in line for green beer, then stand in line for the toilet. I may break down and go, can't imagine missing a year. I have some really good friends who are coming to town and I'm sure they will be heavy on the encouragement. The biggest thing, as you probably know, is getting a taxi at night. One of my favorite bands is playing at the Bayou Cafe . . . see, I'm already talking myself into it! If you guys ever head back this way, let me know.

Oh, and on the Porta potty issue, Royal Restrooms will have potties in place. They charge a pretty steep price, but it is well worth it. Kind of a funny story . . . two years ago I was hanging out at a place where the line for the ladies room was 20 deep, and someone had thrown up in the corner of the short hallway leading to the restrooms. I walked outside and the closest potty was Royal, at $5 per visit. I asked a very nice police officer if he knew the next nearest location of a potty. He instructed me to go to the hotel in front of where we were standing and go through the side door. So, as instructed I head up the steps, only to be met at the side entrance by two other police officers who informed me that I could not enter. I pointed to the officer down on the street and told them that he told me it was okay. They just rolled their eyes and let me go in . . . four star hotel . . . NICE restroom, and they let me in for the rest of the night. :D

charlie knighton
03-15-2012, 7:41 PM
green beer, portapotties, Belinda.... i gotta tell ya, i would sometime like to visit Savannah, but not then.....i have gotten so i much rather watch football game on tv then go to game in person even if someone is given me the tickets...biggest crowd i have been in lately was st paul symposium

Van Huskey
03-15-2012, 9:34 PM
Yes, the Savannah experience is quite different from New Orleans especially during Mardi Gras. Those that grew up around here and folks like me that have rarely missed a MG their entire adult life know the ins and outs. I think this year made 22 times for me. There are areas where you can strip nekkid and run through the streets and do anything short of coitus, those rules are even rather lax if neither has a Y chromosome, this centers mainly along Bourbon particularly past Orleans where things get REALLY wild. Carrying (or rolling) coolers with cases of beer and liquor are not an issue and public intoxication is the norm. There are however areas that are more family oriented where small children are all over the place, the "rules" change dramatically when you cross those "lines". Oh two other BIG rules, NEVER touch a cop and NEVER EVER EVER touch one of their horses!!!!

Charlie, you have to get to Savannah sometime, Belinda would have a better opinion but I like April, but on weird weather years like this March might be better. Walking around downtown and sitting in one of the parks would probably make even a New Yorker relax!

Belinda Barfield
03-16-2012, 7:33 AM
Charlie, if you're sitting around bored on Saturday here is the link to all Savannah live cams. City Market and River Street are the main party places.

http://savannahnow.com/savannahlivecams

If you want to visit Van is correct about April. October is another good month. March weather is strange. I have seen St. Pat's temps at 85 and at 45 - that was a fun year! April is still pleasantly warm but the humidity hasn't really hit yet.

There is much more to the St. Pat's festival here than green beer - that's just what a lot of people remember about it. The parade s very family oriented. River Street - not family oriented. The Greening of the Fountains kicks off the week long celebration. On Saturday all of the tug boats will be firing streams of green water as they chug up and down the river.

If you enjoy music make plans to attend next year's Savannah Music Festival.