PDA

View Full Version : Travel trailer weight?

Rick Potter
03-15-2012, 1:33 PM
My daughter has a Fleetwood 18' travel trailer. I would like to know what it really weighs. She got it used, and has no info on it, except for the tag on the outside which just gives axle capacity.

It is a two axle pull trailer, not 5th wheel, made in 2002. It is a Fleetwood Pioneer, model 18T6. It's a pretty basic model, with aluminum sides.

What we are wondering is if my Jeep, with a tow rating of 3500# would handle it on short local trips to the beach. It's a 2006 Unlimited Rubicon, with 4:10 gears, and an automatic. The last of the old style Jeeps.

Anyone know what this trailers real weight is empty??

Rick Potter

Brian Elfert
03-15-2012, 1:40 PM
The brochure weights for travel trailers have often been known to be low and the real weight is higher. The best bet is to find a truck scale and weigh just the two vehicle and then the two together to get the weight of the trailer. A place that sells dirt and landscaping stuff in bulk may have a scale.

Rick Potter
03-15-2012, 1:55 PM
OOOPS,

Never mind my post. I had no idea I could google something so arcane. The gross dry weight is 3862. Too much for the Jeep. She bought a new Honda Civic, and has a 10 year old Tahoe that she will apparantly have to keep for a while. I was hoping my Jeep would suffice for short trips.

I have thought about pulling it behind my 5th wheel. My F250 would do it fine, and I have a Class 1 license. Nah, don't need the hassle.

Sorry for the post.
Rick Potter

Sam Layton
03-16-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Rick,

Regardless of the weight issue, I think I would be afraid of the short wheel base on the jeep.

Sam

Van Huskey
03-16-2012, 4:12 PM
Have it weighed. Take it to a gravel, sand, or scrap metal company; and if they're nice, they will do it for free. Make sure it's load with the stuff you will usually be hauling.

I tend to weigh instead of estimate how much crap I have in/on a trailer. Getting an accurate weight is just a trip to the closest truck stop away. You probably want to ask about the procedure the first time after that you won't have to go inside first, at least at the big modern places, they do charge for it. Mine is $8.00

Here is a guide you can use if you are interested, be aware usually no scale owner will let you do the side load the scale to get individual position weight and will have barriers built to prevent it anyway.

http://www.trucktires.com/bridgestone/us_eng/press/zip/WeighForm.pdf

Matt Meiser
03-16-2012, 5:08 PM
The farmers co-op here will do it too for a couple bucks.

Myk Rian
03-16-2012, 5:13 PM
Take it to a scrap yard, weigh both vehicles, drop the trailer, and weigh the tow vehicle. Or, just weigh the trailer.
Grain elevators will weigh it also. Many truck stops.

Matt Meiser
03-16-2012, 5:36 PM
Take it to a scrap yard

Seems a little harsh, no? :D