PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Most out of this????

Roger Chandler
03-15-2012, 8:22 AM
I had a Creeker visit last Friday with Jeff Bartley, who came over to get some anchorseal.......first time we met in person although had emailed a couple of times. He brought me a beautiful slab of walnut, and a couple of pieces of walnut log, a quarter of a log of black oak, and a crotch piece of ash. Thanks Jeff!!!

My question relates to the large slab of walnut.........which is about 7 inches thick at the bottom and tapers up to the slim portion at the top in the pic. Any ideas on how to cut it up, and mounting on the lathe [I was thinking a waste block to mount and maybe a large platter?]

Fred Belknap
03-15-2012, 9:08 AM
Roger I think you can make a nice NE bowl out of part of the walnut and use the cut off end for a small bowl. I'm kind of partial to NE walnut. Nice wood gloat.

Josh Bowman
03-15-2012, 9:15 AM
Roger, I'd cut a circle out right under the crotch to try to capture the nice feather.

Bob Bergstrom
03-15-2012, 9:16 AM
Focus on quality rather than quantity. I would get as much heart wood as I can without any sap wood. There is a nice feather and that is what should be the feature. By the time you turn away the bark on the thin end itwon't be very thick if the turning is too large. Also make the cut side the bottom of the platter or you will lose the feather except in the vertical sides of the piece.

Prashun Patel
03-15-2012, 9:51 AM
I too would make the largest circle out of the heart portion. Depending on the shape of the outside bark sfc, I'd consider turning it NE so the heart and feather fills the bowl and is on the bottom. If it's thin, yes, I'd use a glueblock.

Steve Schlumpf
03-15-2012, 10:20 AM
I agree with Bob - focus on quality. By locating the feather (the cut side) at the bottom of the bowl or platter, you will retain that feature and it will make a huge difference in the final turning! Good luck!

Roger Chandler
03-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Good ideas so far..........I had thought about a platter, but not a natural edge one...........I like the idea of the feather not being lost to the curlees............much appreciated everyone! If anyone else has some good ideas, then fire away......I am open to utilizing this wood for the best outcomes! What a great resource you turners are.........thanks for being willing to share your thoughts! :)

Roger Chandler
03-15-2012, 3:24 PM
I am thinking there might be a couple of hollow forms in that piece of ash in pic #3.........it is a wedge shape, and the side you see on top is the widest point........I think there might be a two or three hf's in that piece of black oak [the quarter log in pic 4] as well................

now, just to be able to find time to get to the turnin'! :confused: I am a-wishin' :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-15-2012, 8:54 PM
Roger I have to agree with Bob. I wouldn't worry about how big or how much you can get from the walnut. My eye would definitely be on how to get that feathering into a bowl for sure.

Roger Chandler
03-15-2012, 9:20 PM
Roger I have to agree with Bob. I wouldn't worry about how big or how much you can get from the walnut. My eye would definitely be on how to get that feathering into a bowl for sure.

Bernie..........I agree with Bob, Steve and you...........that feather is the real star of the show on this one.........perhaps a platter or a shallow bowl........if I can get the grain to pop on this one, it will be a winner for sure.......

Anyone want to give me a tip or two on popping the grain and finishing this one off when I get to it? I don't have any BLO, and would prefer not to use it because it takes so long to dry..........perhaps a coat of dewaxed shellac and then some woodturners finish or maybe some Enduro Var?

Jamie Donaldson
03-15-2012, 9:55 PM
A standard penetrating finish like WOP will pop that feather grain just fine!

Roger Chandler
03-16-2012, 7:49 AM
A standard penetrating finish like WOP will pop that feather grain just fine!

Thanks Jamie!

Nathan Hawkes
03-16-2012, 8:47 AM
Nice haul, Roger! On the walnut crotch, you're going to want to use the flat (rough sawn face) as the bottom of any bowl or platter you turn to keep the most feather figure--I'd start it as a natural edge and see how tall a form you can get by turning off the bark to the largest bowl/platter possible. Nice hunk of wood!

Bill Bolen
03-16-2012, 12:12 PM
Looks to me like that big "green machine" of yours is smiling in anticipation! Looking forward to what comes from your haul.