PDA

View Full Version : Scalpels For Marquetry and Veneer?

richard poitras
03-14-2012, 10:13 PM
For all you Marquetry and Veneers out there what are you using X-Acto knives or scalpels? And please mention what blades, brands, and handles you like the best, like the number 11 X-Acto blade (I seem to use them the most if not using a utility knife) Or are you using scalpels? I have never tried scalpels and was wondering what your thoughts are about the Swann-Morton scalpels? Or are there other quality brands? In looking at the scalpels it seems like the blade would have less deflection on a scalpel do to how it’s attached to the handle? What are you using and way do you like them the best and where is the best place to buy blades and handles for scalpels and or X-Acto knives?

Thanks Richard

Van Huskey
03-14-2012, 11:19 PM
I just use a #11 blade in a handle like the one below, I don't have that one but it is similar. Since my wife and I both #11s in more than one hobby we just get the 100 pack, I think they are about $20 shipped from Amazon. I am sure there is a "better" knife out there like I know there are better (and much more expensive) veneer saws than the one I have but it works. I also use my X-Acto as a marking knife but I have a couple of standard #1 handles for that, I paint them red or orange so I can find them, though it doesn't seem to help.

http://www.utrechtart.com/XActo--1-Designer-Knife--Soft-Comfort-Ergo-Handle---11-Classic-Fine-Pt-Blade-MP49260-i1015809.utrecht

Mike Henderson
03-14-2012, 11:42 PM
I don't favor scalpels because of the deflection issue you pointed out. I mostly use some single bevel Japanese woodworking knives like this (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=01%2E041%2E12&dept_id=13221)and this (http://www.japanwoodworker.com/product.asp?s=JapanWoodworker&pf_id=01%2E042%2E12&dept_id=13219). I find that the 1/2" knives fit my hand well, and they don't deflect. I can sharpen them when they get dull. I like having the single bevel because I can put the flat of the knife against my straightedge to make the cut with the knife upright. With a double bevel knife, you have to hold the knife at an angle to the straightedge so that one side is flat against the straightedge.

The disadvantage is that the knives are a bit expensive ($22 each) but they'll last you for your lifetime and then some.

Mike

Jim Tobias
03-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Richard,
I use a scalpel (Swann-Morton). Same for blades . I forget the number(and it's too late to go down to the shop and look). Bought my first scalpel and blades from Paul Schurch (Marquetry Guru). Later I bought a box of 100 blades from England on Ebay. Took awhile to get them but even with shipping, it was best price.
I like the way the scalpel blade slices through the veneer better than an Exacto knife. I have had no problems with deflection with the scalpel. I just pull it through the veneer and let the blade do the cutting. Also, no sharpening involved, just replace the blade when it gets dull.

Jim