PDA

View Full Version : Which would be better to add to my new workshop?

JoAnn Duggan
03-14-2012, 7:38 PM
Hi:

I am a new beginner into the woodworking hobby. I have a miter saw, router and table, and table saw. I am trying to decide if it would be better to get a drum sander or a planer to add to my basement shop. I would really appreciate any advice you could give me as I am not sure which way would be more productive for me. I have been reseaching the Jet 16-32 drum sander and the Delta 735 planer. Do you need both or would you use one more than the other?

JoAnn

Thomas Bank
03-14-2012, 11:51 PM
I'd be inclined to start with a planer. I spend more time planing rough cut lumber or planing to thickness than I spend with my drum sander.

Fred Belknap
03-15-2012, 10:03 AM
JoAnn Of the two tools you mentioned the planer would be my choice. You can get random orbital sander (ROS) for sanding. I know it is kind of a downer but dust control might be something to consider. Either tool you mentioned produce lots of waste.

david brum
03-15-2012, 10:37 AM
+3 on the planer. The sander is nice to have, but not really essential. I agree that you shouldn't consider a sander unless you've already got a good dust collector. On the other hand, a planer and jointer (or well designed planer sled) are pretty much essential on most projects.