PDA

View Full Version : coreldraw x5 home&student

James Higgon
03-14-2012, 7:14 PM
I have heard that this has less features than the full version but can anyone tell me what features ill be missing out on? And am I likely to miss these features doing simple text/images engraving

john banks
03-14-2012, 7:17 PM
It doesn't have VBA, so that along with starting commercially meant we have put our Home and Student on ebay and have got the full version. Maybe a bit less clip art etc, but that is less relevant these days due to everything on the internet.

Greg Bednar
03-14-2012, 7:27 PM
I know this may sound harsh, and I know the program is expensive, but if you are really interested and really are using the program a lot, bite the bullet and buy the whole suite.

James Higgon
03-14-2012, 7:28 PM
Sorry to sound dumb but what is vba? How much did you manage to the full version for? Cheapest I see on Ebay was 260ish iirc. really unsure what version to get

James Higgon
03-14-2012, 7:32 PM
But with the cost of the laser, a new laptop, and excraction I need any way I have of keeping the costs down. But if I need it then I need it...

Steven Cox
03-14-2012, 8:23 PM
Check out Ebay or other auction sites, you can usually pick up an OEM version for $150 - $200. OEM Versions are the full versions without the books so Disc only. Just make sure that what you buy is not Student Edition, as John said Student versions don't have VBA. The Student/Education versions won't allow you to install plugin software like laser tool addons and vinyl cutting addons etc...

Also before buying get a guarantee from the seller that it can be registered with Corel.

Dan Hintz
03-14-2012, 8:26 PM
Any scripting is done with VBA... this includes a number of plug-ins.

I won't get into a full discussion here, but be aware that the license agreement for the home/student edition does not allow business use... if you are a business, you need to be using the full version.

Rich Harman
03-14-2012, 8:27 PM
I was able to install the laser plugin in the student edition of CorelDRAW X4 suite without any problems.

I have since switched to the full version of X5, mainly to get away from the weird way the zoom works in earlier versions.

Steven Cox
03-14-2012, 9:43 PM
I was able to install the laser plugin in the student edition of CorelDRAW X4 suite without any problems.

X4 SE may have installed OK, I bought a 6 pack licence of the SE for X5 to set up a training workshop on corel and out of curiosity thought I'd just try on my Laptop which runs the Laser, but was unable to install the Laser Plugin and SignCut Plugin. As Dan points out you shouldn't use the Student version for business anyway, OEM is OK cause it's the full version without the books.

Dan Simone
03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
I don't know if the education version of Corel X5 is different than the home and student versions but, I bought a copy on Amazon and I have had no troubles getting the plugins to work with it. That is both the stripped down laserworks plugin and the full blown program. I'm not using my laser for a business at the moment but, when and if I decide to go that route I'll buy the appropriate license. For anyone interested here is the link to the page I bought from on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039XZ3T8/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

Also, this version doesn't come with any manuals but, I don't know that would be necessary since there are video tutorials on the disc and it did come with a large amount of extra fonts and clipart. I think there were about 5GB of extra clipart and fonts combined. One last thing is that on the page for the education version they say they require proof and my son is a full time student so I was going to provide proof of that but, they never asked for it.

john banks
03-15-2012, 8:56 AM
Education edition has VBA then, X5 Home and Student doesn't, X4 Home and Student does.

James, loads of info is available from Google on VBA, use search terms like VBA, VBA Corel, VBA Corel Home and Student, put X5 and X4 in combination with those etc.

Martin Boekers
03-15-2012, 11:15 AM
I am with Greg on this one, this isn't the area you want to "save money" on.
Next to the laser you use this for everything. (the only reason I put the laser first
instead of Corel is that without the laser you don't need Corel! :)

The latest vesion of Corel is the best investment you'll make. If you can't afford it
find a used FULL VERSION and upgrade when you can.

Sign up to the Corel Website, you'll get notices of sales and more. Corel has specials
running all the time so you NEVER need to pay full list. Last year I upgraded to X5 got
a Walcom tablet, Painter 11, Win Zip and a few other things for $250, that was a deal!

For the cost of say a bottle of water, soda or a beer. In a year you will have paid for
the software. It took me three years to upgrade from 12 to X5 I should have done it
way sooner. X5 has saved me so much time and made my life easier!

DISCLAIMER.... I am not affiliated with Corel :) but I believe this program to be the heart of
any graphics business.

Marty

Neil Pabia
03-15-2012, 5:01 PM
In X5, didn't VSTA editor replace the VBA function?

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-15-2012, 7:02 PM
I have since switched to the full version of X5, mainly to get away from the weird way the zoom works in earlier versions.

Can you elaborate on this Rich? What is "weird" about it? I don't have X5 yet, but I'm really hoping you don't say "In older versions, it zooms when you use your scroll wheel on your mouse and X5 no longer does that" because I love that zoom feature and use it ALL the time! :)

Neil Pabia
03-15-2012, 7:40 PM
Can you elaborate on this Rich? What is "weird" about it? I don't have X5 yet, but I'm really hoping you don't say "In older versions, it zooms when you use your scroll wheel on your mouse and X5 no longer does that" because I love that zoom feature and use it ALL the time! :)
Still zooms in by scrolling the wheel on my X5.

Mike Chance in Iowa
03-15-2012, 7:50 PM
Still zooms in by scrolling the wheel on my X5.

Wahoo! :cool:

Rich Harman
03-15-2012, 8:14 PM
In earlier versions, when you scroll in it will zoom and recenter to where your cursor is. So if you zoom in, then zoom out without moving the mouse you can easily become lost. The new version zooms like I am use to, without the recentering. You can set it up to zoom the old way if you like.