PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a planer, I feel like Im missing something

Justin DiValentino
03-14-2012, 3:49 PM
I'm starting to think about adding a planer to my shop. I would like something I can be happy with for a long time to come. I have not set a budget just yet because I want to keep my options open.

I've gone without a planer for a while now, so I dont know entirely what I need. However, I am limited on space and just a hobbyist so I am very willing to trade capacity for quality. That said, I think a 12-13" planer would suit just fine. The problem is most planers in this range are the portable lunchbox type and I'm looking for something of a bit higher quality. I would prefer to buy used and willing to travel a little ways for a great deal. I also love tooling around on old machinery, so Im not opposed to something older if it means quality.

OK, so I've looked at the usual suspects from grizzly, jet, powermatic. Jet and griz both make 13" planer/molders which are currently looking like great options if I go new, however based on what I've read Im not 100% convinced on quality and used versions of these models are scarce. Delta only makes a 12" portable then jumps to a 20" industrial so they're out. Powermatic doesnt make a planer under 15"

I love the idea of restoring an old PM100, but have not seen one come across any local CL in the last 6 months. I've seen a couple parks planers pop up but they're pushing 70 years old and may be slightly more quirkly than I want to deal with, maybe not.

What other brands/models should I be looking at?

David Kumm
03-14-2012, 3:57 PM
General 14 would be the first choice in quality. In addition to the PM I would look at the Rockwell RC33 or the Delta DC33. Both are great candidates for a byrd head because the knives are a pain to change. The table is stationary so it is easy to place them such that other tables can serve as infeed or outfeed or build some to fit. The DC33 is a little less desirable but I use one as a finish planer with the Byrd and a Wixey and like it a lot. Dave

Prashun Patel
03-14-2012, 3:58 PM
If you can find one used, then power(matic?) to ya! But if you wish to purchase new, I would seriously look at the Dewalt DW735. I have one, and for a hobbyist it is a wonderful machine. It is consistent and fast.

It has 2 features that really appeal to me as a hobbyist:

1) It runs on 110v, so I can put it on a roller stand and plane outside and let the proverbial chips fall where they may.
2) The blower is super strong, so when I have to plane inside, I just attach a 20 micron chip bag to the exhaust port via a flexible 4" host, and it catches pretty much EVERYTHING. This prevents my dc's chip bag from filling so quickly.

I mean, this is technically a 'lunchbox' planer, but only bkz it's got a 13" capacity; not because it's underpowered or underperforming in any way.

Bill White
03-14-2012, 4:01 PM
Don't be afraid of a 'box planer. I've had my DeWalt 733 for a bunch of years, and it does all I've needed. Not sellin' DW, but there are some good 'box planers available. If I had to buy today, I'd look long and hard at the 735 (though I think that "optional" in/out tables are a rip).
Bill

Van Huskey
03-14-2012, 4:05 PM
What is your budget for a used planer?

Cary Falk
03-14-2012, 4:11 PM
Be aware that all of the lunchbox planers are screamers. The DeWalt is the loudest and the Makita is the quietest. By the time you put a lunchbox planer on a mobile cabinet/base it doesn't take up too much more room then a 15". I went from a Delta 22-580 lunchbox to a Grizzly 15" spiral and the change was music to my ears. FYI, Delta makes the 22-590 13" lunchbox and the 22-790x 15".

Justin DiValentino
03-14-2012, 4:13 PM
What is your budget for a used planer?

Overall, I probably would not spend more than $1500. But I would rather spend less and buy a drum sander which I also need unless you suggest some absolutely amazing planer which will last me the rest of my life and be nothing but a joy to work with :p

Justin DiValentino
03-14-2012, 4:18 PM
General 14 would be the first choice in quality. In addition to the PM I would look at the Rockwell RC33 or the Delta DC33. Both are great candidates for a byrd head because the knives are a pain to change. The table is stationary so it is easy to place them such that other tables can serve as infeed or outfeed or build some to fit. The DC33 is a little less desirable but I use one as a finish planer with the Byrd and a Wixey and like it a lot. Dave

Both of these look good, what do they go for on the used market?

Dave Lehnert
03-14-2012, 4:23 PM
Lunch box planers has a good track record.
A good 12" planer is the Shopsmith. Cast iron bed., Separate cutter head motor and variable speed feed motor. Easy to work on if needed. I buy my hardwood lumber rough and mill it myself. My Shopsmith planer is 20 years old. Only replaced blades, belt and a pulley. Snipe is almost nonexistent. Having said that, it is expensive. a new one is $1,500. (made in Dayton Ohio) I have seen used ones come up for sale for $300 to $500. Be worth a look if you see one used.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/planers.htm

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/catalog/images/FSProPlaner.jpg

Van Huskey
03-14-2012, 4:24 PM
Overall, I probably would not spend more than $1500. But I would rather spend less and buy a drum sander which I also need unless you suggest some absolutely amazing planer which will last me the rest of my life and be nothing but a joy to work with :p

That should get you in the realm of most used 4 post 15 and 20" planers and the Grizzly 15" new. It may be pushing it for an old iron planer in good shape, though you could always get a deal. There have been a couple of used PM 180 sold around here recently that looked to be in good shape for just over your budget but unless you have three phase power getting them running would push your budget pretty hard. I see a good many 12" and 18" Woodmaster planers for sale around the country on CL often the 18" versions are in good shape and within your budget, you may also get moulding knives, gang saw blades and a drum sander with them. Though the WM stand alone drum sanders are great their drum sander for the planer seems to have middle of the road reviews. I would only consider it for the other three functions or just as a planer. The PM100 as mentioned would be something to look at but I find their prices are all over the place but maybe the best 12" planer ever made.

From my point of view unless you want to pay dealer proces for used equipment you have to be ready to consider a range of options as they come up or be willing to wait a long time if you are looking for just one model at a particular price point.

Sam Murdoch
03-14-2012, 4:37 PM
This is the one I recommend. I love mine. A friend has an alarm clock that is rated at higher decibels than this thickness planer.

Makita 2012NB 12-Inch Planer with Interna-Lok Automated Head Clamp

$549.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping

I can show you a simple way to hook up a 4" dust collector too.

Damon Stathatos
03-14-2012, 4:52 PM
I have three planers set up. A 26" Neuman Whitney (old iron), a 15" Jet, and (my original, from my original garage shop) a 12" Dewalt. I BY FAR prefer to use the Dewalt lunchbox planer. Why you ask...I get as good as or better results, it's easy to adjust for initial thickness and subsequent cuts, it just keeps running and running, and on the rare occasion that I need to change the blades, it's a piece-of-cake to do so with the integrated set pins. The only reason I use the others is when the piece I'm putting through would just be too massive for the little-guy. Also, if I remember correctly, it's basically a 'plug and play' initial set-up as well.

If you're aching to try to hit in the middle of the market of something, you'd be much better served to consider a consumer-type wide belt sander over a drum sander.

Bruce Page
03-14-2012, 5:07 PM
Be aware that all of the lunchbox planers are screamers. The DeWalt is the loudest and the Makita is the quietest. By the time you put a lunchbox planer on a mobile cabinet/base it doesn't take up too much more room then a 15". I went from a Delta 22-580 lunchbox to a Grizzly 15" spiral and the change was music to my ears. FYI, Delta makes the 22-590 13" lunchbox and the 22-790x 15".

Ditto. I went from a Delta lunchbox screamer to a PM15 for that reason alone. The bigger 15” planer isn’t quiet by any stretch but its lower tone is much easier on my ears. Have you looked at the 12” jointer/planer combos? They can be had for not much more than your budget.

Brian Tymchak
03-14-2012, 5:12 PM
I bought a Dewalt 735 several years ago and have been very pleased with it and it fit nicely into my budget at the time. Now, I would require any planer I buy to have a spiral head on it. Size would be secondary and subject to budget, but the Griz 15" would be on my list to look at. If you buy a 735 and put a spiral head on it, and a mobile base, you are in for about $1100. At that point, I would probably throw in the extra $700 on the Grizzly 15" to avoid the installation hassle of the head, and get the 2" extra width.

Jeff Duncan
03-14-2012, 5:18 PM
I say for the use you describe get yourself a nice little lunch box planer. Planers are loud period, your going to need hearing protection or risk serious hearing damage, so that, at least for me is a moot issue. A nice little lunchbox will get you started out so you know what your going to use the planer for, and what you want if ever you decide to upgrade. They are also easy enough to stuff under a bench when your not using them. The bigger 12" and 15" planers are stationary and although you could put them on mobile bases, you still need to store them somewhere.

If you do choose to look for an older used machine than you should easily be able to find something within your budget given enough time and patience. I can't imagine ever spending more than say $500-$600 on a 15" or smaller heavy duty planer. Having said that, to find the good deals you will very likely have to expand your search outside of CL.

good luck,
JeffD

frank shic
03-14-2012, 6:01 PM
jet has an 8" and 10" combination jointer/planer unit that appears to work well once you've spent some time getting the outfeed table level. i'm planning no purchasing the 10" model in the near future with the expectation that it will likely take a few hours to calibrate properly but i'll still keep my ridgid 13" planer so i don't have to switch back and forth.

Ron Natalie
03-14-2012, 6:06 PM
I've got a Powermatic 54 6" jointer and that is a little too narrow and a 12 1/2" table top delta planer (which was free) that keeps throwing belts.
I gave up and on the recommendation of some boardies (thanks Bas ) ordered a JJP-12HH jointer planer ....I've got a pretty small shop so I'm willing to deal with the changeover to get a bigger jointer and the planer in the same footprint. It arrives Friday.

jonathan eagle
03-14-2012, 6:32 PM
Myself. I'd get a spiral head cutter if I were to spend $$. I don't think old planers can be upgraded, so be very careful about that category. Make sure you can upgrade if you choose something old and with less ability.

Van Huskey
03-14-2012, 6:33 PM
Myself. I'd get a spiral head cutter if I were to spend $$. I don't think old planers can be upgraded, so be very careful about that category. Make sure you can upgrade if you choose something old and with less ability.

Byrd makes heads for most old planers. Although due to lower demand and often a much larger diameter head they are more expensive than for the generic 4 post planers.

David Kumm
03-14-2012, 6:52 PM
The RC33 and DC 33 will be in the 500-900 range. The byrd head is in the $800 range so for about $1500 you can be at the top of the food chain. Even the Delta dc380 before they went to China- the light blue ones are in the same range. Dave

Greg Portland
03-14-2012, 7:17 PM
Look for a used Woodmaster combo unit (718, etc.). I picked up a well-appointed 18" model for that price (had the moulding head, planer head, and drum sander head + some extras).

Mark Engel
03-14-2012, 7:28 PM
My first planer was a Ryobi AP12. It did alright. Had the double sided, self indexing knives. The universal motor was a real screamer. Got about 6 years of service before it started to have some electrical problems that I didn't want to deal with.

Next up was a Ridgid R4330. This was a very good machine. Three knife cutterhead. Also had the double sided, self indexing blades. I didn't seem to get as much service out of the blades as I did with the Ryobi. Again, the universal motor was very loud.

Currently have the Grizzly G0453PX. This is a 15" planer with a spiral cutterhead and an induction motor. It is much, much quieter than the lunchbox planers. Not just the motor, but also the sound of the cutters. I always use ear protection, so the sound isn't really a major issue, but the lower noise level seems to be less 'tiring'. What I really like about the Grizzly is the carbide cutters. First, they are carbide, not HSS. Second, you get four edges on each cutter. Third, if you nick a cutter or four, you only have to rotate the nicked cutters. Shifting knives in a 2 or 3 blade planer only sometimes works, and then only once, IME. The way I look at it, I may never have to buy any new cutters for this planer. Four sides per cutter and five extras shipped with the machine, should last me a very long time.

So, if you want this to be the only planer you ever need to buy, I would highly recommend the G0453PX.

tom gepfrich
03-14-2012, 7:36 PM
No matter what you buy, look for a 4 post screw setup. My delta has 2 screws to raise an lower and it allows slight rocking back and forth increasing the sipe. The 735 has 4 screws making it much more stable. I upgraded to a used Jet 15 and absolutlely love it. I paid $600 and it was in decent shape. It is a monster weighing in at 500+ lbs. A key factor is if you have 220 available. I was looking hard at the Delta 15 as the infeed and outfeed tables fold down saving lots of space. In the end the Jet was a right place right time thing. Good luck in your search.

Dell Littlefield
03-14-2012, 9:16 PM
I have the Shopsmith. I bought it as a basket case and spent a lot of time getting it up and running. The variable speed feed is their main advantage over many lunchbox planers. Shopsmith upgraded their planers several years ago to the Shopsmith Pro which has a higher speed head and a larger 110v motor. To me, one of the major advantages of the newer lunchbox planers is the convenience of knife changes. The Shopsmith knives can be resharpened, however replacements are only available from Shopsmith as the knives are tapered to better hold them in the gibs. The last time I contacted Bill Mayo he had some for sale. He can be reached at: bill@billstoolz.com

Gary Radice
03-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Do not give up on the Parks/Craftsman 12 inch planer. If you find one in reasonable shape they are reliable and will last forever. Parts are still available. You can often find them for $300 to $500 or so. Mine is 50 years old and runs like new, and will work all day. They do take some fiddling to set up accurately, but once set you are good to go. Whatever you get, think about dust collection when you make your decision.

Curt Harms
03-15-2012, 8:09 AM
Ditto. I went from a Delta lunchbox screamer to a PM15 for that reason alone. The bigger 15” planer isn’t quiet by any stretch but its lower tone is much easier on my ears. Have you looked at the 12” jointer/planer combos? They can be had for not much more than your budget.

I was having the same thought. For anyone who has a need for a 12" jointer, for instance buying rough lumber, the 12" Jointer/Planers are an enticing deal. If I were in the market I'd look closely at this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Planer-Jointer-with-Spiral-Polar-Bear-Series-/G0634XP

5 h.p., spiral head. The biggest downside to me is you have to remove the fence to change from jointer to planer. I got the Jet JJP-12 (not spiral, they weren't around at the time) for that reason. This newer style fence looks pretty easy to remove though. I was concerned that there might be some snipe with the Jet because it doesn't have pressure bars to press the stock to the table. I needn't have worried, snipe has not been an issue. It might be if I were planing long heavy boards without infeed & outfeed support so I have a couple roller stands.

Jamie Buxton
03-15-2012, 10:08 AM
To answer your posted title, I'd say what you're missing is consideration of the jointer. I'm sure it depends on how you work, but for me, the planer is only half the battle. The jointer is also key. Everything that goes into my planer has first been over the jointer. The jointer makes a face flat, and the planer makes the board a uniform thickness. The width of the jointer is the key issue. That's the widest stock I can work on. As it turns out, a jointer of the same width as the planer is significantly more expensive than the planer. So really the jointer decision drives the planer decision.

Van Huskey
03-15-2012, 11:43 AM
To answer your posted title, I'd say what you're missing is consideration of the jointer. I'm sure it depends on how you work, but for me, the planer is only half the battle. The jointer is also key. Everything that goes into my planer has first been over the jointer. The jointer makes a face flat, and the planer makes the board a uniform thickness. The width of the jointer is the key issue. That's the widest stock I can work on. As it turns out, a jointer of the same width as the planer is significantly more expensive than the planer. So really the jointer decision drives the planer decision.

I would say that a jointer larger than your planer would likely we a waste unless you had a spiral head planer and and a knife jointer and used skewing on the jointer to deal with evil grain. The planer bigger than jointer makes a lot more sense compared to the other way around. You can use a sled on the planer to joint stock wider then your planer, you can run glued up panels through your planer and you can run multiple narrow boards through you planer at one time, as long as they are very similar in thickness OR your planer has segmented infeed rollers.

Rod Sheridan
03-15-2012, 1:21 PM
I also have a combination jointer/planer in the 12" size and am extremely happy with it.

I would suggest looking into one...............Rod.

Don Jarvie
03-15-2012, 1:42 PM
Best bang for your buck is a used Belsaw 12 inch. They can be had for around 150 to 300 bucks. Make sure it has at minumum a 3hp motor and you can plane anything. The machine is a bit loud and doesn't give you a "finish ready" surface, ie no sanding or planing, but will mill up rough lumber quite nicely. Between this and the 8" jointer you have you can make most furniture unles you make a lot of stuff with big slabs.

I picked up my Belsaw for 125.00 and put new knives on it and it works great. I don't see the need to get a bigger one. I can't say that about my jointer and bandsaw but thats another story.