PDA

View Full Version : elm bowl

Richard Jones
03-14-2012, 1:33 PM
From an elm limb (B-I-G limb!) that a clearing friend gave me last year. Couple of holes that most people around here seem to like. Approx. 10 x 3, walnut oil, buffed, waxed. I'm not crazy about the finish, just doesn't feel right to me.

C & C welcomed and appreciated.

Rich227134227135

Tim Rinehart
03-14-2012, 1:43 PM
Very nice Rich, that's some good looking elm...nicer than the stuff I have. I like how you angled the rim too, softens the appearance.
Just curious, why the buff and wax after the walnut oil? I would have been tempted to walnut oil alone and hand buff out and start using it for popcorn!!

Harvey Ghesser
03-14-2012, 1:44 PM
Nice bowl, Richard. Nice grain.

Roger Chandler
03-14-2012, 2:00 PM
Good lookin' elm and nice bowl!

Steve Schlumpf
03-14-2012, 2:54 PM
Good looking bowl! The finish looks great to me... what is it about the feel that you don't like?

Richard Jones
03-14-2012, 3:45 PM
Tim & Steve,

I buffed it because I wanted a nice satin finish, and the WO alone was pretty dull and lifeless. Even after buffing and waxing, it still feels "grainy", that's the only word I can come up with. Not slick feeling like DO, buff and wax. Could the elm be the difference? I'll try something else on the next one.

Thanks for your thoughts.

John Keeton
03-14-2012, 6:14 PM
I like the wood and the bowl! As to the finish, I have gotten to where I don't like a film finish on bowls. Seems the walnut oil does take a little while to soak in and cure, and takes a few coats - perhaps with some wax. I don't many bowls, though, and others might have some better ideas for you.

The Antique Oil is a varnish blend and does build somewhat, and sounds like you prefer that look. You can probably go over the walnut oil with the AO after a couple of weeks.

charlie knighton
03-14-2012, 8:35 PM
very nice

if you do not care for the feel, you might try velvit oil, read up on it at

http://www.velvitoil.com/

i as sure Barbara Gill would be happy to help, the feel of just this oil (no buffing) is great, not exactly babies bottom , but feels good

Bernie Weishapl
03-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Really nice bowl. I like walnut oil and then wax finish for utility items. I love the soft feel of it.

Kathy Marshall
03-14-2012, 10:54 PM
Very nice bowl Richard and some nice looking elm!

Cheryl A. Prince
03-15-2012, 5:42 AM
Wonderful bowl Richard! It makes me excited to get at the elm that's drying in my garage. Wasn't that stuff heavier than heck to move when wet though!

Michelle Rich
03-15-2012, 6:31 AM
very pretty bowl..elm ( the stuff i have seen) is hard to get the wood to lay down..did you sand in reverse? Or across the grain? I'd try that. the oil may have lifted some nibs/grain

Richard Jones
03-16-2012, 5:54 AM
Michelle & John,

Yes, I alternate directions when sanding. Even tried some 600 by hand. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's horrible, just doesn't feel "right", whatever that is.

Even let this one cure out on the porch several days in the sun. Just feels different.

Thanks, I'll be a bit more vigilant next time, maybe the interlocking grain isn't quite as forgiving as some other woods. It couldn't be me...................:D

Baxter Smith
03-16-2012, 2:39 PM
I can't feel it but it sure looks pretty!