PDA

View Full Version : Considering a quick Nicholson Bench

Joe Fabbri
03-14-2012, 1:22 PM
Hi everyone,

I have a bunch of wood sitting around for a future Roubo bench, but in the meantime, I'm thinking about building a Nicholson bench. It's been difficult handmilling this lumber without a bench with stops, etc, and I'd like to get to some other projects while the wood for the Roubo seasons.

I think the Nicholson design makes a lot of sense, and seems fairly simple to construct. For those who have built this bench out of construction lumber (I assume 2x12s for the aprons), how sturdy do you find it? I'm thinking about two 2x12s for the top, which would bring me to about 21.5" wide. I think that's a decent width. I suppose I could use three 2x10s and bring it into the 25-26" range, but I'm not sure if that would be necessary for a bench that I see most being used to plane boards/moldings.

One of my main concerns, though, is the use of holdfasts in standard 1.5" thick doug fir. Would the softer doug fir allow a holdfast to work okay in this thin of a top/apron? For the top, actually I'm not that concerned, as I was planning on notching the transverse bearers and adding a strongback down the center (maybe a 2x6), under the seam of the top. (Or two 2x4 strongbacks in the middle of each 2x12.) This would give a good holdfast surface, a good glue surface for the top, and stiffen the whole assembly.

For the side apron holdfasts, though, I'm not quite sure what to do. Some add blocking behind the holes, but I don't care for that idea too much. Some add a ledger for the bearers, which I like, but it won't back up the entire apron, and also it won't keep the bearers from potential twisting. So,I was considering laminating two 2x12s together. I know this is a lot of surface to glue together, but I think it's doable. I would keep the growth rings in the same direction probably, to make sure that the boards cup together, rather than break the glue joint if they work against each other (I think that would be better here).

By laminating it together, it would also make creating the stopped dados for the transverse bearers fairly easy; I could cut them out prior to the lamination. I'd also probably drill the holdfast holes first to aid in clamping up and alignment, by using some threaded rod or bolts and cauls. I could potentially screw both boards together in the location of the holdfast also, and drill out the holes created by the screws (as I'd rather not leave screws in it in the final product). Either way, I could find ways to handle the glue up, without a million clamps (which I don't have).

I wonder, though if it's overkill. I don't mind the extra mass (and maybe this bench design needs it, I don't know); but perhaps 1.5" is thick enough to work okay for the holdfasts. I see a bunch of Nicholson benches made with construction lumber, but there seems to be always some indication of problems with the holdfasts, either extra blocking added afterwards or hindsight saying 8/4 material would have been better to use.

So, any advice is appreciated.

Joe

Chuck Nickerson
03-14-2012, 1:36 PM
I built a Roubo from DF, but a friend built a Nicholson from DF. So my comments come from my experience with DF, and what he's told me about his experiences as well.

1. Consider making your top from 3 pieces of DF, each eight inches wide. It's possible to get rid of a lot of knots this way. Here in Los Angeles 2x12 DF is $1/bd ft, so it's not an expensive decision.

2. Whether or not a holdfast works in 1-1/2" DF depends on the holdfast; some are springier than others. Why don't you like the idea of backer blocks or a acker strip? You can always build it without the backer(s) and only add if needed.

Jim Koepke
03-14-2012, 1:55 PM
One of my saw benches has a hold fast hole in 2X construction fir. It doesn't work all that well.

For my bench build I am thinking of making a temporary planing bench out of an 8' 4X6 beam. Then the beam can be cut and used for legs.

I still haven't come to the conclusion about an apron or not. I may do it on one side and make a four vise bench.

I'm Not to that point yet.

I am not making a particular style of bench. My bench is being made for the features that will work best for me.

jtk

Bill Haumann
03-14-2012, 3:35 PM
I built a Nicholson but not from poplar (not entirely finished, actually). If you haven't watched the videos at Logan Cabinet Shoppe on building a Nicholson, I highly recommend them. Especially the one year later review of the bench.

Bill Satko
03-14-2012, 3:50 PM
I have a 1" thick maple apron and my holdfasts from Tools for Working Wood, work just fine.

Sean Richards
03-14-2012, 4:37 PM
I use holdfasts in the front apron of my bench which is about 1 3/4" Radiata pine - never had any issues.

Joe Fabbri
03-18-2012, 9:54 PM
Thanks for the replies, everyone (and sorry for the delayed response).

I'm not sure how DF would react compared to the maple, Bill. (By the way, very nice bench.)I imagine the the softer doug fir would crush in more. Wouldn't that help the holdfast hold better (or not)?

Sean, maybe that extra 1/4" does make a difference (and maybe the softer wood also).

Jim, I'm curious, what brand holdfast are you using in the sawbench? Is it from Tools for Woodworking (where I'll probably get mine)?

Anyway, I'm leaning toward laminating another board only in between the legs, where the holdfast holes will be. I think it would add a nice shoulder to the legs. Yes, I saw the Logan cabinet shop bench, where he nailed the ledger on. I'm not crazy about nailing it on, though; I'd rather try to glue it.

If I do two boards in the center, I'd probably cut back the leg a bit on either side, so the second board can sit on the leg a little also. This way the beam is still bearing onto the legs (even if only 1.5" or so), rather than relying solely on the glue joint, which might not be perfect.

Still, if anyone else has experience using holdfasts (Gramercy ones in particular, or another inexpensive brand) in Doug fir construction lumber, I'd like to hear it.

Joe

Jim Koepke
03-19-2012, 2:51 AM
Jim, I'm curious, what brand holdfast are you using in the sawbench? Is it from Tools for Woodworking (where I'll probably get mine)?

Joe,

My holdfasts were made by Harry Strasil. The board on the top of my saw bench is about 1-1/2 inches. I bored the hole at 3/4" which might be a bit big for a shallow hole with the hold fast. The wood is pretty soft and deforms fairly easy.

jtk

Don Dorn
03-19-2012, 7:11 AM
I am not making a particular style of bench. My bench is being made for the features that will work best for me.
jtk

Fully agree - I know we are not supposed to argue with the dead guys, but the bench I have works well as to size, thickness, dog hole locations, etc and in my new one, simply going to tweak a couple of things (vice types) that will make a good bench a great bench.

Joe Fabbri
03-19-2012, 1:32 PM
Jim, what diameter are the holdfasts that Strasil makes? And how are they made? The Gramercy's I believe are simply bent wire.

Also, have you tried roughing the surface up anymore to see if it will grab in the 1.5" material?

Joe Fabbri
03-19-2012, 1:39 PM
Don, I also agree about making changes/building to suit your needs. That's why I'm thinking about adding ledgers, laminating, and adding a strong back. These aren't in the original design at all, as far as I know. Also, it's the original design that uses cut/finish nails, etc. to attach the different members together. In that sense, the bench that Rob at the Logan Cabinet shop built is in the spirit of the original design, I'd say.

Also, the original Nicholson drawing shows only a large front apron. I'm sure that's enough to stiffen the bench, especially on the business end, but all the "Nicholson" benches I see nowadays have double aprons on them.

Anyway, I want a bench right now that I can make fairly easily, which the overall Nicholson design seems to offer. Also, I want one I can build without uncommon materials, otherwise I might as well get fancy wood and build one bench now, which I don't really want to do, since I have some large slabs that should make a nice Roubo---I mean a nice thick slab...flush leg...French joiner's style workbench....;)

Jim Koepke
03-19-2012, 2:31 PM
Jim, what diameter are the holdfasts that Strasil makes? And how are they made? The Gramercy's I believe are simply bent wire.

Also, have you tried roughing the surface up anymore to see if it will grab in the 1.5" material?

I think Harry's holdfasts have 5/8" rods. The holding part is a flat piece of steel with a dog leg welded to the top. They work great on my work bench.

I will have to get back to you on the rest of the details. I don't recall exactly why I didn't like them on the saw bench. It might have been that I was only using one and it was in the way more than of a help.

I will try to remember to check this out and give the details later.

jtk